The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CANON TSE and Sony Bodies

gmfotografie

Hello,

I want to sell my CANON Equipment but not the TSE Lenses.
Therefore I need a comfortable solution.
(I´m using a X1D for my main work now)

I see that a lot of people working with a Sony System and TSE Lenses.
Can somebody tell me the pro and cons of this combination?

Is there another solution or tipp for me.

Which Sony should I buy or should I wait for a newer model?

All the best Michael

MrSmith

i use a sigma canon to sony adapter with mine but have tended to use a combo actus with schneider digitars most of the time.
i use the 24 MkII mostly and still have the 90 tse but the 80 and 100 digitars are sharper and the movements greater plus bigger image circle.

the 24 is great but the cambo gives me better results from 60mm and above, would like to see how the new TSE’s particularly the 50mm compare.

are your lenses older models? the 24 mkI and 45 were not great (the old 90mm is still a good performer with modern sensors)

gmfotografie

I have the newer once.

My whole Canon-system 50mm, 35mm 70-200mm and 24mm is not more in use.
Sometimes I have paid-jobs for architecture photography - therefore I want to use my 24 and 17mm TSE Lenses.

I would love to see a good solution working with the X1D but this will not happen.

Before I stick with the Canon system I´m searching a new lighter system where I can also use my TSE Lenses - maybe a good video function.

Best Michael

cerett

I have used the Canon 24mm Mk2 TSE on my A7rII and III with a Metabones lV adapter. Works very well. Really like using focus peaking when tilting the lens.

cerett

Would you recommend me waiting for the newer version - see Sony rumors - or buying the A7rIII .

Best Michael
I believe there is a rumor that Sony will be releasing an A7r4 this year. I don't have any more solid information on this. If you are in no hurry, I would wait and see what the new camera has to offer. Also, once the new camera does come out, you may get a significant savings on the A7r3.

jpaulmoore

Hello,

I want to sell my CANON Equipment but not the TSE Lenses.
Therefore I need a comfortable solution.
(I´m using a X1D for my main work now)

I see that a lot of people working with a Sony System and TSE Lenses.
Can somebody tell me the pro and cons of this combination?

Is there another solution or tipp for me.

Which Sony should I buy or should I wait for a newer model?

All the best Michael
Hello, I too am using both the Canon 17 & 24 TSE ll lenses with my Sony A7r ll with great results. The 24mm TSE is just an outstanding lens! Image quality is great but sometimes I have connection issues with the Metabones IV adapter and have to reconnect the adapter and or lens. A better adapter would really be nice. I may get the newer A7r IV when it comes out. With photography becoming less and less a part of my business/profession, these upgrades are harder to justify.
Regards,
J. Paul

JoelM

I had some intermittent issues with my Vello adapter and Nikon lenses, but with my Canon lenses, I use the Sigma MC-11 and it/they have been flawless.

FWIW,

Joel

camping

Foot Replacement for Metabones Arca Foot EF-Emount

Original Metabones foot does not have sufficient clearance for some lenses to be mounted on monopods and tripods.

P

Thomas Erskine

Not because it is to heavy.
The sony E mount cameras are much smaller than the canon SLR cameras, movements are impeded (especially down) because of the tripod head.
You need about an inch or 3cm space between camera and tripod head.

I suppose you could use a battery grip but would probably be to front heavy. (have not tried this)

bshigeta

I would go with the Sigma adapter over the Metabones. I've owned a couple versions over the years and they all perform worse than the cheaper Sigma. I'm not sure if it's because the tolerances tend to loosen over time, but the wider angles lenses like the 17mm TSE and 11-24mm were awful in the corners. I'm assuming this is because the adapters aren't perfectly parallel as confirmed with a digital caliper. I do miss having a RRS L bracket directly on the Metabones adapter to balance the weight though.

Have you thought about the FujiFilm GFX series? I tried both the 50S and 50R on my Arca Swiss MF2 with Canon lenses and it performed really well. A bit cumbersome of a system, but they have simply adapters as well. Otherwise I would probably wait for the Sony A7R IV.

Andrew Gough

I Have used the Canon TS lenses with Sony's (A7R2/ A7R4) for a while, and I get way better results out of my Panasonic S1R. The sensor glass on the Sony's seems to lead to soft edges with my TS glass.