The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

200-600/5.6-6.3 and 600/4 Announced

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
At $2000 for the 200-600/5.6-6.3 I'd say it's a steal, no ?
Yes and no. The Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 is $1,400 minus discounts, but yes, this is a challenge for Canikon, and they need to do something fast, preferably before the Olympics.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With these new lens releases (200-600 and 600) Sony has now finally the lens lineup for pros and enthusiasts in the wildlife and sports arena. They are clearly dominating if you add a camera like the A9 and there is nothing comparable on the market.

Kudos to Sony .... and it will be interesting to see how CaNikon react to this :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

bensonga

I especially like the internal zoom design. I wish my Nikon 200-500 had it.

Gary

Last edited:

pegelli

For me the 600/4 is a bit out of my price range (understatement of the week), but if the 200-600 is as good as the 100-400 I can see one in my future. The price is a bit more than the Tamron/Sigma equivalents but not needing an adapter and having a native lens is worth something extra. And putting it on an A6x00 will add reach without dropping the MP-count.

I'm sure Canon and Nikon (and Panasonic) will react, they can't let this one go by unnoticed. Interesting times :)

iiiNelson

At $2000 for the 200-600/5.6-6.3 I'd say it's a steal, no ?
If it’s lives up to or exceeds the price in terms of image quality then yes it’s a steal IMO. I would’ve preferred a constant aperture type lens in the f/5.6 range bit of using on the A9 it probably won’t make much difference given the firmware update V5 to use hybrid PDAF down to f/16.

iiiNelson

For me the 600/4 is a bit out of my price range (understatement of the week), but if the 200-600 is as good as the 100-400 I can see one in my future. The price is a bit more than the Tamron/Sigma equivalents but not needing an adapter and having a native lens is worth something extra. And putting it on an A6x00 will add reach without dropping the MP-count.

I'm sure Canon and Nikon (and Panasonic) will react, they can't let this one go by unnoticed. Interesting times :)
Yeah as much as I wouldn’t mind adding some of these telephoto primes, I’d have a hard time justifying the $25,000 between the 400mm and 600mm lenses. They look outstanding but realistically I’d probably just be adding the 200-600 along with the 70-200 for telephoto needs.

doug

The 600mm f/4 is probably more lens than I'm willing to carry meaning it would be limited to use in or near the camper... and I'd be constantly fretting about security when I leave it in the camper to go on a longer hike. It might end up in my tool box but I'd have preferred a PF-type 600mm f/5.6 lens. The Nikon PF lenses are quite tempting, particularly with a Z7 and FTZ adapter.

iiiNelson

The 600mm f/4 is probably more lens than I'm willing to carry meaning it would be limited to use in or near the camper... and I'd be constantly fretting about security when I leave it in the camper to go on a longer hike. It might end up in my tool box but I'd have preferred a PF-type 600mm f/5.6 lens. The Nikon PF lenses are quite tempting, particularly with a Z7 and FTZ adapter.
Yeah I've always have been of the opinion that a 400/4, 500/5.6, and 600/5.6 made more sense to start with. Probably would sell many more too when they’re priced at 20-33% of the faster variants.

It's the same MSRP as the Sigma Sport 150-600, which I believe was intentional.