The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35/1.8 Announced

Jan

There was long talk on a 35 G, I must say I am pleasantly surprised with this lens. I will get it to get the maximum performance out of the camera, currently using an A-mount lens (which, gives stellar results but it is sometimes a hit and miss).

iiiNelson

There was long talk on a 35 G, I must say I am pleasantly surprised with this lens. I will get it to get the maximum performance out of the camera, currently using an A-mount lens (which, gives stellar results but it is sometimes a hit and miss).
I believe the designed was inspired by the base level 85/1.8 which is an excellent lens in its own right. If I was to start off in the Sony FE system today with a budget focused mindset, I’d likely be content with the 28/2 or 35/1.8, the 55/1.8 or 85/1.8, or maybe add a couple of the Tamron zoom lenses (17-28 & 28-75)... or just go for the 24-105/4 G lens.

ggibson

Looks like a nice option, though it is pricey at $750. Reasonable size, a bit bigger than the Sony 55/1.8 and includes the extra controls.

The rendering, bokeh, and sharpness I've seen look decent, but I don't think this will achieve the same distinction as the FE 85/1.8 or Zeiss 55/1.8 for image quality. The 35/1.8 images seem kind of similar to my FE 28/2, which I do enjoy despite its minor flaws. A great walk-around lens capable of lovely results, but the more discerning may be disappointed.