The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back on Line

gurtch

Hello all: I am posting this on three forums: Sony Forum, Medium Format Forum and Fuji Forum, as I visit and post to all three. I have been off line for quite a while. We use our spare bedroom as my "office" where I do all my photo editing and printing. My tower style PC sits next to a window. We live on a barrier island off the coast of southern NJ. When it rains here, we often get flooding, and the rains comes sideways because of the high winds. Several weeks ago I forgot to close the bedroom window and it rained in, soaking the back of my PC. I finally got it back yesterday....it seems it only needed a new power supply. I had three small USB 3.0 external drives on the table next to the PC which also got wet, but fortunately they still work (that is where I keep my photo files). When my PC repair guy returned my PC he said Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, will not be supported any longer, and I will probably have to migrate to Windows 10, sooner or later. This scares me: I have Photoshop CS6, and hundreds of dollars invested in Plug Ins, Actions, and filters, as well as a ton of stand alone graphics programs, all compatible with Windows 7. Also, most were down loaded, so I have no discs, only pass words and keys, which I would have to scrounge around to find them. Also my web site on my PC now is giving me grief, I need to figure that out. Today I am getting two USB 3.0 1 Terabyte external drives with the goal of weekly backing up my two internal drives: C:\ and D:\. I certainly missed you folks!
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ USA
MODERN PICTORIALS

pegelli

Welcome back, sorry to hear about your water problems. Looking forward to you posting again here.

Looking at the Microsoft website I see Windows 7 is still supported until Jan 14, 2020, so you still have some time to figure it out.

It also won't drop off a cliff the day after, if you don't surf a lot of shady websites and with a good 3rd party virus and malware scanner you can even stretch it longer with very low risk.

Sometimes older computers are not powerful enough to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I don't know about your system.

Another strategy (depending on your preferences) can be to keep doing all your photo work on your old computer (with the programs you know and love) but detach it from the internet and buy a simple laptopfor browsing/email/down and uploading/your website etc. This will give you bit of hassle shipping files from one system to the other, but will keep your old system fully alive with no hacking risk.

Bottom line, I think there's no need to rush and look at all your options (and spend some time looking up all the software keys) to figure out what's best for you.

gurtch

Welcome back, sorry to hear about your water problems. Looking forward to you posting again here.

Looking at the Microsoft website I see Windows 7 is still supported until Jan 14, 2020, so you still have some time to figure it out.

It also won't drop off a cliff the day after, if you don't surf a lot of shady websites and with a good 3rd party virus and malware scanner you can even stretch it longer with very low risk.

Sometimes older computers are not powerful enough to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I don't know about your system.

Another strategy (depending on your preferences) can be to keep doing all your photo work on your old computer (with the programs you know and love) but detach it from the internet and buy a simple laptopfor browsing/email/down and uploading/your website etc. This will give you bit of hassle shipping files from one system to the other, but will keep your old system fully alive with no hacking risk.

Bottom line, I think there's no need to rush and look at all your options (and spend some time looking up all the software keys) to figure out what's best for you.
Several people said I would need a rather fast machine to migrate to Windows 10. I have a Puget Systems PC made in May 2011. It has:

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core 3.3GHz 95W processor
16MB Kingston DDR3 RAM
XFX RadeonHD 5750 1GB Video Card
Antec TruePower 650W power supply
Two hard drives: 500MB for operating system and programs, 1 TB for files
Give that it is now 8 years old, by computer standards, it is probably rather old, but performs everything I need well.
Thanks again
Dave