The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r IV

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks like a nice and also logical development. I see that they have raised and (probably) improved some of the buttons, like the AF-on, which is good. What I don't understand is why they are still leaving the area to the left of the viewfinder open. Most cameras, including the A9, utilise that space, and this being one of the smallest full fram mirrorless cameras on the market, I would have thought that using every bit of space is a good idea.

Edit:
I looked at some of the portrait photos taken with the camera at dpr. Even considering the fact that most of the dpr staff are lousy photographers, I'm surprised to see a slight blur in and around the eyes of some of the subjects. With all the technology in this camera and not least the heavy marketing of eye focus, 5 way stabilisation etc., I would have thought that even dpr staff could produce sharp images, but apparently not. Image 46 is one of them, but not the worst.

Last edited:

PeterA

Looks like a great camera to me - but larger chips render differently to smaller chips so I don't see it is a MF killer- I do see it is another 'Sony goes BAM' to 35mm format cameras - including any brand - my hands are just too big for its form factor. Sony shooters are lucky - the company continues to lead the market.

raminolta

I may be in the minority but I’m pretty underwhelmed by this camera. I’m sure it’ll be great... they usually all are but it sort of answers a question that few were really asking.

High points are the EVF (for those ultra sensitive to EVF’s) and the Dual UHS-II slots. Low points for me are that it didn’t receive the AF system from the A9 with 93% coverage, it’s probably still 4k30, and the body isn’t larger which is sort of pushing me further away from the system in a way.

I’ll reserved final judgement for actual hands-on time but I’m really not excited at all about this camera to be 100% honest.
I am glad they didn't make the camera any bigger. I believe increasing the camera size is NOT what the vast majority of Sony users want. For those who want a larger camera, there are plenty of alternative options in the market including the mirrorless market (Panasonic).

algrove

Looks like no ES nor EFCS which is a surprise to me even though on the B&H video the Sony person says shutter vibration is minimized. Also no GPS.

But all the rest is impressive including over 200MP in pixel shift mode. Do any of you know if one MUST use the Sony software for pixel shift?

iiiNelson

I am glad they didn't make the camera any bigger. I believe increasing the camera size is NOT what the vast majority of Sony users want. For those who want a larger camera, there are plenty of alternative options in the market including the mirrorless market (Panasonic).
I’m sure there are those that want a larger body option in the Sony ecosystem. Yes we could all buy into multiple systems but the reality is that perhaps people largely enjoy and want to stick with the Sony ecosystem they’re already invested into. To explain, I’m not saying I want all Sony bodies to grow. I just want a larger option for the times when I have a Sony Zeiss or G-Master attached to the camera. The current size is fine with my 55/1.8 on it. Not so much with a 70-200GM and grip as it approaches uncomfortable over time.

I prefer to not have to dump everything that I own (though I will if a system no longer works for me) and I’m sure Sony doesn’t want to lose my business in the future. I’m not the person that goes to Best Buy to purchase the A6000 and the kit lens without adding more lenses. I’m the person they can earn 10’s of thousands from over several years.

Audii-Dudii

I’m sure there are those that want a larger body option in the Sony ecosystem. Yes we could all buy into multiple systems but the reality is that perhaps people largely enjoy and want to stick with the Sony ecosystem they’re already invested into. To explain, I’m not saying I want all Sony bodies to grow. I just want a larger option for the times when I have a Sony Zeiss or G-Master attached to the camera. The current size is fine with my 55/1.8 on it. Not so much with a 70-200GM and grip as it approaches uncomfortable over time.
*Ding!*

One size does not fit all, but Sony (and other mirrorless camera manufacturers, except Fuji) don't seem to care. They have no problem offering a range of different cameras, which is great and I support this, but when it comes to offering a camera with a different form-factor, they simply aren't interested.

If this doesn't change soon, then I will have no choice but to vote with my feet and find happiness elsewhere... :(

iiiNelson

*Ding!*

One size does not fit all, but Sony (and other mirrorless camera manufacturers, except Fuji) don't seem to care. They have no problem offering a range of different cameras, which is great and I support this, but when it comes to offering a camera with a different form-factor, they simply aren't interested.

If this doesn't change soon, then I will have no choice but to vote with my feet and find happiness elsewhere... :(
I agree and I think there’s room for an A6 (FF Rangefinder style form factor) especially for those that love using the excellent Zeiss Loxia or Voigtlander primes... and maybe an A8/Alpha Pro style body as described in other threads.

Truthfully with ISO becoming less of an issue, perhaps some of the variant models can be combined. Perhaps there doesn’t need to be a base model, a resolution model, and a high sensitivity model... perhaps there doesn’t need to be an A6000/6300/6400/6500 being sold alongside one another going forward. Maybe there can be a high end crop A5, Rangefinder style A6, all around A7, high res A8, compact sports/outdoors A9, flagship video Ax model, and flagship photo Alpha Pro model.

cerett

Guy hangs out on the Sony forum on the Fred Miranda website. He uses the screen name "GMPhotography". He's rarely spotted nowadays on GetDPI. I don't think he's posted here in years.

Joe
I thought Guy was one of the super administrators of GetDPI and very involved in past workshops, right?

Pradeep

I agree and I think there’s room for an A6 (FF Rangefinder style form factor) especially for those that love using the excellent Zeiss Loxia or Voigtlander primes... and maybe an A8/Alpha Pro style body as described in other threads.

Truthfully with ISO becoming less of an issue, perhaps some of the variant models can be combined. Perhaps there doesn’t need to be a base model, a resolution model, and a high sensitivity model... perhaps there doesn’t need to be an A6000/6300/6400/6500 being sold alongside one another going forward. Maybe there can be a high end crop A5, Rangefinder style A6, all around A7, high res A8, compact sports/outdoors A9, flagship video Ax model, and flagship photo Alpha Pro model.
Tre, I think one has to revisit the reasons why so many of us chose to go with Sony especially people like me who have been with the brand from the NEX5 days. Being only 5'5" and not very muscular I've always had problems with heavy gear, but then we are all victims of our own ambitions no?:eek:

In my search for the holy grail in photography, I've tried to put together a system that is small, lightweight, high resolution, with superfast AF. In terms of the camera body, I guess the a9 and now the a7r4 are perfect (almost). Lenses are another question for the laws of physics do come into play and yet, I think the newer SuperTeles (from all the makes) are amazing.

I've tried the Leica (M series) and the Phase One, then the Pentax-645Z during my long journey, but nothing has come close to the comfort, satisfaction and pure joy of using the Sony cameras and lenses. In just a few years they have built a huge ecosystem that has now become the envy of all the established Brands. yes, I may sound like a Fanboy, but my quest has always been for the best (from my pov) and I am glad things are turning out the way they are.

Therefore, I am super happy that they are not going back to the days of the big 1DX type bodies which were so unwieldy for people like me. We all look out for our own needs don't we? ;)

iiiNelson

Tre, I think one has to revisit the reasons why so many of us chose to go with Sony especially people like me who have been with the brand from the NEX5 days. Being only 5'5" and not very muscular I've always had problems with heavy gear, but then we are all victims of our own ambitions no?:eek:

In my search for the holy grail in photography, I've tried to put together a system that is small, lightweight, high resolution, with superfast AF. In terms of the camera body, I guess the a9 and now the a7r4 are perfect (almost). Lenses are another question for the laws of physics do come into play and yet, I think the newer SuperTeles (from all the makes) are amazing.

I've tried the Leica (M series) and the Phase One, then the Pentax-645Z during my long journey, but nothing has come close to the comfort, satisfaction and pure joy of using the Sony cameras and lenses. In just a few years they have built a huge ecosystem that has now become the envy of all the established Brands. yes, I may sound like a Fanboy, but my quest has always been for the best (from my pov) and I am glad things are turning out the way they are.

Therefore, I am super happy that they are not going back to the days of the big 1DX type bodies which were so unwieldy for people like me. We all look out for our own needs don't we? ;)
I can respect that but I didn’t choose Sony specifically for the small size alone. I chose it for the capability, I chose the company as an industry disruptor, I chose it for the accurate color, I chose it for the affordable flexibility that it gave me when there were no other FFF Mirrorless options, and I chose it because I believe in the overall direction of the company more than I do most of their competition with a few notable exceptions.

Im 6’3” so size isn’t necessarily my concern and as I said, I’m not suggesting that Sony eliminate small options but rather add some larger options for those that do care about it. There are times where I love the size like when I’m traveling or am on vacation... but there are times where I wish for a larger body like say when I shoot the occasional wedding. Like you, I’ve been a Sony user since the NEX5 days and I shot on the A-Mount as a backup to my Leica M for telephoto needs. So yeah I’m pretty committed to sony but the last few years have had me considering a move that I’m trying to prevent.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
*Ding!*

The battery grips help a lot. I use larger cameras now, but when I did µ43 and A7II, I always had the grip attached, or else my last two fingers felt lost in space.

Matt

Audii-Dudii

The battery grips help a lot. I use larger cameras now, but when I did µ43 and A7II, I always had the grip attached, or else my last two fingers felt lost in space.
I understand and have absolutely no issues with any size and shape of battery grip so long as it can be removed when it's not needed or gets in the way. :)

seb

About the size: I'm also one with bigger hands and I would be happy about a better grip. IMO it don't have to be a bigger camera but a better grip. To judge if the a7RIV can fullfill that, I'll wait until I have the new model in MY hands.

About the features: I don't have the a9 nor a7RIII. For me (with an a7RII) there are A LOT of great new features in the a7RIV. Especially the matured AF system (which is in the a9/a7RIII already) will be usefull in many of my shooting situations.

But it's often the small things that makes the new one shine:
- I'm looking forward to the 61MP. When shooting locations for example. In these cases it's not about a better picture but more information.
- The new aspect ratios are nice. Shooting pictures for a website, instagram or even to hang them up a wall often starts with the decision how the pictures will be presented.
- Ergonomics: Sony redesigned the grip for the RIV. I will come to a conclusion about "camera fits to seb" when I can get one into my hands. But I'm looking forward to.
- better weather sealing. The a7RII went two times to reparation. Once because a button jammed and once because the shutter was defective in cold weather. Then the days I was hiking hours in pouring rain and the camera just stopped working until it dried.
- Redesigned body: Better haptic on all the buttons. It may not sound as much but I'm sure I don't want go back after a while I u
- improved AF in video: I hardly shoot video because I'm very bad with MF in video. Maybe I'll get more into it with the new features.

Last edited:

Pradeep

I can respect that but I didn’t choose Sony specifically for the small size alone. I chose it for the capability, I chose the company as an industry disruptor, I chose it for the accurate color, I chose it for the affordable flexibility that it gave me when there were no other FFF Mirrorless options, and I chose it because I believe in the overall direction of the company more than I do most of their competition with a few notable exceptions.

Im 6’3” so size isn’t necessarily my concern and as I said, I’m not suggesting that Sony eliminate small options but rather add some larger options for those that do care about it. There are times where I love the size like when I’m traveling or am on vacation... but there are times where I wish for a larger body like say when I shoot the occasional wedding. Like you, I’ve been a Sony user since the NEX5 days and I shot on the A-Mount as a backup to my Leica M for telephoto needs. So yeah I’m pretty committed to sony but the last few years have had me considering a move that I’m trying to prevent.
Fair points, all. But I think all the brands are now trying to get on the mirrorless wagon and future direction seems to be towards small(er) bodies. Whether these are ergonomically suited to people with larger hands remains to be seen. I suppose one could design a body that is small and yet easy to use for everyone, but I suspect real estate becomes more precious the smaller the body gets and therefore harder to implement all the controls.

We all want the camera to have every possible option that suits us and yet be of the perfect size for our own physical attributes. Combine that with certain specific requirements that matter a lot to some of us (somebody wanted a three-way articulating screen as top priority) and you end up with a pretty darned good camera that will make many people ecstatic, but won't please everyone.

Small size too can only go so far. I for one would not be interested in the likes of the new Sigma FF - way too small even for me.

The one thing that seems to be obvious to me, the days of the full-sized 1DX/1DS type bodies are over.

iiiNelson

Fair points, all. But I think all the brands are now trying to get on the mirrorless wagon and future direction seems to be towards small(er) bodies. Whether these are ergonomically suited to people with larger hands remains to be seen. I suppose one could design a body that is small and yet easy to use for everyone, but I suspect real estate becomes more precious the smaller the body gets and therefore harder to implement all the controls.

We all want the camera to have every possible option that suits us and yet be of the perfect size for our own physical attributes. Combine that with certain specific requirements that matter a lot to some of us (somebody wanted a three-way articulating screen as top priority) and you end up with a pretty darned good camera that will make many people ecstatic, but won't please everyone.

Small size too can only go so far. I for one would not be interested in the likes of the new Sigma FF - way too small even for me.

The one thing that seems to be obvious to me, the days of the full-sized 1DX/1DS type bodies are over.
I agree but the only Mirrorless camera the size of a D5/1D are the medium format cameras with a grip attached.

Even the largest FF camera (LUMIX S) is smaller than the 5D/Dxxx cameras. I think a FF camera on par with the Fuji XH1 would be ideal in size personally. Not too big but not too small.

Pradeep

I agree but the only Mirrorless camera the size of a D5/1D are the medium format cameras with a grip attached.

Even the largest FF camera (LUMIX S) is smaller than the 5D/Dxxx cameras. I think a FF camera on par with the Fuji XH1 would be ideal in size personally. Not too big but not too small.

The MF world is also going smaller, the Phase One Mamiya clone was a monster, the P-645Z too was huge. The only people who are still into large rigs are the dedicated landscape photographers with technical cameras/mounts who are patient enough to be able to deal with all the vagaries of such equipment. That niche too is shrinking as people begin to realize that you can get the same (or close to) results with lighter and smaller cameras. I think there comes a point where value for commercial work becomes more important than the passion and joy of photography. I cannot speak for the pros since I am still an amateur.

I suppose there are still people out there who shoot with technical cams for the pure joy it provides. For them photography is very much an art form. In this age of instant gratification, they must be very few such people.

Audii-Dudii

I suppose there are still people out there who shoot with technical cams for the pure joy it provides. For them photography is very much an art form. In this age of instant gratification, they must be very few such people.
As I noted in my initial post above, there is at least one such person in existence and he's doing so using a Sony A7R body, too! :loco:

Alas, he won't ever be able to do so using the A7RIV because of the *&^@*!& grip Sony gave that camera! :mad: