Thread: A7r IV

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7r IV

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    What happened to Guy Joe?
    I'm alive and just got the A7rIV. Lovin' it so far
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Thanks. Iíll check the camera out once itís released this fall... I was just hoping for a bit more. Iíll be heading to Asia over the weekend to do some work out there with probably just the 35/1.4 and 55/1.8 in tow. I considered selling my 35/1.4 for the 35/1.8 but Iím not sure that I will yet.

On a side note i did try out the 24, 135, and 200-600 last Saturday briefly. Theyíre all great lenses. I imagine the 200-600 is a must have for anyone that cares about wildlife photography or an affordable sports lens option.
    On the A7R4 the 100-400 is actually the must have wildlife lens - much sharper, much faster than the 200-600 and also smaller and lighter. Much better to handle IMO. And using the APSC Crop of the A7R4 results in a 600mm reach with that lens and still delivers 26MP.

So the 100-400 is the clear winner for me.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    On the A7R4 the 100-400 is actually the must have wildlife lens - much sharper, much faster than the 200-600 and also smaller and lighter. Much better to handle IMO. And using the APSC Crop of the A7R4 results in a 600mm reach with that lens and still delivers 26MP.

Thanks Peter. Thatís great.
    Do you actually have the camera and lens?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Peter. Thatís great.
    Do you actually have the camera and lens?
    No actually I do not own it by now but I had the chance to shoot this combo a few days ago - and man, this is what I always was dreaming for

Currently on planning to acquire one asap, need to raise some funds .....
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the 100-400 is a winner but the 200-600 isnít a slouch on the A9 by any means. I shot them back to back. If you need the reach itís there and of course the 200-600 in crop mode will net you a 300-900 equivalent without a 1.4x teleconverter.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Yeah the 100-400 is a winner but the 200-600 isnít a slouch on the A9 by any means. I shot them back to back. If you need the reach itís there and of course the 200-600 in crop mode will net you a 300-900 equivalent without a 1.4x teleconverter.
    I know, but I still prefer the 100-400. Wildlife on Safari (from a car) usually requires 95% this reach.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, but I still prefer the 100-400. Wildlife on Safari (from a car) usually requires 95% this reach.
    I agree (depending on the park and subject). If itís birds youíre trying to photograph though, the 200-600 might be useful though in my experience. Iím not suggesting the 200-600 is as optically good as the 100-400 because itís not but if one needs the reach the option is a great one. So in essence Iím glad there are both options available. I still wouldíve preferred a constant f/5.6 in the 200-600 but thatís just me being greedy I guess. I could see having the 70-200 on one body and the 200-600 on another. It would be an amazing Safari combo IMO.

...now if I could convince Sony to stop housing their lenses in white Iíd be all the way satisfied. I hate having white lenses no matter how great they may be.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeep! This may be just the size increase I always wanted and asked for. Will test one as soon as they become available in Austria ���� (maybe not before autumn but that is more the ok for me).
    The larger grip and increased finger space beside the lens mount were two of several things things that caused me to buy one Saturday Sep. 28.. The grip feels as if it's maybe 5mm (0.2") deeper (front-to-back) and actually a little narrower (right-to-left at its base), but it feels lots better for me. (I sold my a7R3 early this year, so this is based on my poor memory. )

The SmallRig bottom plate/L-bracket for the 'R3...
    https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-...i-a9-2122.html
    ...just fits the 'R4 and will be adequate (until the SmallRig 'R4 L-bracket arrives in October) to increase the vertical finger space that's so lacking on ALL the a7n bodies.

FWIW, other reasons I'm moving away from my much-loved Panasonic S1R are--
    lighter weight,
    MANY-more lenses available,
    high-rez,
    Metabones EF adapter plays very well with my two EF-mount lenses
    Use of two UHS-II SD memory cards

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the MB adapter and Zony 16-35/4 lens to arrive tomorrow and Wed.. I was using the EXCELLENT Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art on the S1R and planned to have Sigma switch its mount to FE, but then I did more research on the Zony and chose it.. Thanx to Lens Rentals' large inventory, reasonable rental rates, and FAST service and shipping, I'm renting before buying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the MB adapter and Zony 16-35/4 lens to arrive tomorrow and Wed.. I was using the EXCELLENT Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art on the S1R and planned to have Sigma switch its mount to FE, but then I did more research on the Zony and chose it.. Thanx to Lens Rentals' large inventory, reasonable rental rates, and FAST service and shipping, I'm renting before buying.
    Turns out I bought a Sigma 14-24 Art which arrived today.. Tested it and the Zony 16-35/4.. In a few words, the Sigma whipped the Zony in resolution, centers and sides.. The Zony has some advantages--lighter, smaller, uses screw-in filters--but it's simply not competitive with the best of modern lenses with the 'R4.. I have a Tamrom 17-28 coming from Lens Rentals.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with the Canon 16-35L f4 and Sigma MC-11 adapter. Focuses fast and that lens is fantastic throughout it's entire focal range. A bargain can be had for about $700 in mint used condition in the box.

Joel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So I was able to go by the local camera store for their Tamron event to put my name down on the 70-180/2.8 waiting list which I’m first on. The rep did reiterate that Tamron has 6 additional lenses in the pipeline for announcement next year. At least 2 of them are for Sony FE but the other 4 MAY come to Sony as well.

While I was there I did test out the A7RIV. In short it’s an excellent camera but the size really isn’t all that different for me personally. It’ll likely demand the vertical grip if I’m using the camera with longer lenses. My pinky finger and my ring finger still come off the camera. The beefier grip is comfortable though. The EVF is nice but not so nice that I find it to be the thing that magically makes me decide to give an EVF the chance of day. Some that are much more sensitive to a “good” EVF might feel differently but I’ve thought that they’ve been good enough for years now. Switching the EVF from standard (default settings) to high performance does improve the EVF (at the cost of reduced battery life) but again I didn’t feel it was necessary in standard shooting. I tested performance with both of the Tamron f/2.8 zooms and the 55/1.8. The performance was great as expected.

All in all I see why some like it better. I still want a larger body option.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 4 Weeks Ago at 00:48.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm alive and just got the A7rIV. Lovin' it so far
    Glad to hear it Guy - miss your enthusiasm and contributions!

all the best
    Pete

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

new to Sony and A7RM4

So set ISO to Auto and to recognize ISO from 100-3200max

set "ISO Range Limit" from 100 to 3200

set "ISO AUTO Min.ss" to 1/250

So why when I point to a scene does the ss drop below 1/250. Shouldn't it drop to 1/250 and then after that start raising the ISO up to my 3200 setting based on my "ISO Range Limit" setting?

Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lou...... although I don't use this feature on the Sony I have used it on the GFX and with all of the settings mimicking yours the shutter speed would drop below my minimum 'if' the scene were outside of the bounds of the highest ISO setting. I believe if you were to raise your ISO upper limit you would be able to maintain your minimum shutter speed.

Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I am not used to if it hits the upper ISO setting and the LOW SS I set then it starts to take the f-stop to a smaller number even if I have it set on A.

The Q2 does not work that way zs it just underexposes the image once both high ISO and low SS are reached, which is fine for me while being able to bring up shadows.

Post Thanks / Like

Lou, take a look at the user manual page which I've posted. In the 'Notes' they address the issue you are referring to.

Victor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 8.16.43 .jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	145251  

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There must be a way to fool the camera so that this does not happen. EC dial perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out I bought a Sigma 14-24 Art which arrived today.. Tested it and the Zony 16-35/4.. In a few words, the Sigma whipped the Zony in resolution, centers and sides.
    Hi, could you post some comparison shots?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by picman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post:

"Turns out I bought a Sigma 14-24 Art which arrived today.. Tested it and the Zony 16-35/4.. In a few words, the Sigma whipped the Zony in resolution, centers and sides."

This subject is sort of amusing.. I have NO shots comparing the two*.. I returned the rented 16-35/4.. I found the Sigma 14-24 to be excellent optically.. I also found it to be too heavy, too big, and that its inability to use front filters w/o a large, expensive filter system (like the Fotodiox WonderPana66) to be quite annoying, so I returned it.. Bought Zeiss Batises in 18, 40, and 85mm and love their results..

BUT...still fascinated with the 'little' Zony 16-35/4, I ordered a new one last weekend.. It will be coming from Florida via a company that seems to take DAYS to do anything--for instance I ordered it Sunday and here on Wednesday morning, all they've done is prepare a shipping label--so maybe I'll see it next week.. I know I'll shoot some tests and maybe I'll be ambitous enough to prepare and post some comparsons with the Batis 18.

BTW I LOVE your avatar.

* Once I reject a lens, I toss all its test-pics as I have limited space in my computer.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Lou, take a look at the user manual page which I've posted. In the 'Notes' they address the issue you are referring to.

Victor
    Sent it back.

Post Thanks / Like

jeffreybehr: "...Turns out I bought a Sigma 14-24 Art which arrived today.. Tested it and the Zony 16-35/4.. In a few words, the Sigma whipped the Zony in resolution, centers and sides.. The Zony has some advantages--lighter, smaller, uses screw-in filters--but it's simply not competitive with the best of modern lenses with the 'R4."

Quote Originally Posted by picman View Post
    In a word, no; when I finish testing a lens, I toss the images as my computer's storage capacity is limited.

Interestingly, I returned the Sigma and bought a trio of Batises--18, 40, and85mm--and I love the results from them.. However, I continue to be fascinated by the 'little' 16-35/4 and bought a new one Sunday the 24th; it'll be here Monday the 2nd.. I'm anxious to see how this copy's images look.. MAYBE my 'R4's quintet of lenses will be the 16-35/4, Batises in 40 and 85mm, and two EXCELLENT Canons, the humble, little, inexpensive 70-200/L/USM/non-IS plus the 50mm TS-E.

More later.

FWIW, I LOVE your avatar.. Here are some caps I have custom made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Sent it back.
    For sure, that is one solution

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

jeffreybehr: "...Turns out I bought a Sigma 14-24 Art which arrived today.. Tested it and the Zony 16-35/4.. In a few words, the Sigma whipped the Zony in resolution, centers and sides.. The Zony has some advantages--lighter, smaller, uses screw-in filters--but it's simply not competitive with the best of modern lenses with the 'R4."

In a word, no; when I finish testing a lens, I toss the images as my computer's storage capacity is limited.

Interestingly, I returned the Sigma and bought a trio of Batises--18, 40, and85mm--and I love the results from them.. However, I continue to be fascinated by the 'little' 16-35/4 and bought a new one Sunday the 24th; it'll be here Monday the 2nd.. I'm anxious to see how this copy's images look.. MAYBE my 'R4's quintet of lenses will be the 16-35/4, Batises in 40 and 85mm, and two EXCELLENT Canons, the humble, little, inexpensive 70-200/L/USM/non-IS plus the 50mm TS-E.

More later.

FWIW, I LOVE your avatar.. Here are some caps I have custom made.

Thanks for your reply, only saw it now. Itoo love the Batis lenses and quite enjoy the 16-35f4. Seems we have similar taste 😄