The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r IV

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter. That’s great. :thumbs:
Do you actually have the camera and lens? :salute:
No actually I do not own it by now but I had the chance to shoot this combo a few days ago - and man, this is what I always was dreaming for :thumbs:

Currently on planning to acquire one asap, need to raise some funds .....

iiiNelson

On the A7R4 the 100-400 is actually the must have wildlife lens - much sharper, much faster than the 200-600 and also smaller and lighter. Much better to handle IMO. And using the APSC Crop of the A7R4 results in a 600mm reach with that lens and still delivers 26MP.

So the 100-400 is the clear winner for me.
Yeah the 100-400 is a winner but the 200-600 isn’t a slouch on the A9 by any means. I shot them back to back. If you need the reach it’s there and of course the 200-600 in crop mode will net you a 300-900 equivalent without a 1.4x teleconverter.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yeah the 100-400 is a winner but the 200-600 isn’t a slouch on the A9 by any means. I shot them back to back. If you need the reach it’s there and of course the 200-600 in crop mode will net you a 300-900 equivalent without a 1.4x teleconverter.
I know, but I still prefer the 100-400. Wildlife on Safari (from a car) usually requires 95% this reach.

iiiNelson

I know, but I still prefer the 100-400. Wildlife on Safari (from a car) usually requires 95% this reach.
I agree (depending on the park and subject). If it’s birds you’re trying to photograph though, the 200-600 might be useful though in my experience. I’m not suggesting the 200-600 is as optically good as the 100-400 because it’s not but if one needs the reach the option is a great one. So in essence I’m glad there are both options available. I still would’ve preferred a constant f/5.6 in the 200-600 but that’s just me being greedy I guess. I could see having the 70-200 on one body and the 200-600 on another. It would be an amazing Safari combo IMO.

...now if I could convince Sony to stop housing their lenses in white I’d be all the way satisfied. I hate having white lenses no matter how great they may be.

jeffreybehr

Yeep! This may be just the size increase I always wanted and asked for. Will test one as soon as they become available in Austria ���� (maybe not before autumn but that is more the ok for me).
The larger grip and increased finger space beside the lens mount were two of several things things that caused me to buy one Saturday Sep. 28.. The grip feels as if it's maybe 5mm (0.2") deeper (front-to-back) and actually a little narrower (right-to-left at its base), but it feels lots better for me. (I sold my a7R3 early this year, so this is based on my poor memory. :confused: )

The SmallRig bottom plate/L-bracket for the 'R3...
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-bracket-for-sony-a7iii-a7m3-a7riii-a9-2122.html
...just fits the 'R4 and will be adequate (until the SmallRig 'R4 L-bracket arrives in October) to increase the vertical finger space that's so lacking on ALL the a7n bodies.

FWIW, other reasons I'm moving away from my much-loved Panasonic S1R are--
lighter weight,
MANY-more lenses available,
high-rez,
Metabones EF adapter plays very well with my two EF-mount lenses
Use of two UHS-II SD memory cards

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the MB adapter and Zony 16-35/4 lens to arrive tomorrow and Wed.. I was using the EXCELLENT Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art on the S1R and planned to have Sigma switch its mount to FE, but then I did more research on the Zony and chose it.. Thanx to Lens Rentals' large inventory, reasonable rental rates, and FAST service and shipping, I'm renting before buying.

jeffreybehr

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the MB adapter and Zony 16-35/4 lens to arrive tomorrow and Wed.. I was using the EXCELLENT Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art on the S1R and planned to have Sigma switch its mount to FE, but then I did more research on the Zony and chose it.. Thanx to Lens Rentals' large inventory, reasonable rental rates, and FAST service and shipping, I'm renting before buying.
Turns out I bought a Sigma 14-24 Art which arrived today.. Tested it and the Zony 16-35/4.. In a few words, the Sigma whipped the Zony in resolution, centers and sides.. The Zony has some advantages--lighter, smaller, uses screw-in filters--but it's simply not competitive with the best of modern lenses with the 'R4.. I have a Tamrom 17-28 coming from Lens Rentals.

JoelM

I went with the Canon 16-35L f4 and Sigma MC-11 adapter. Focuses fast and that lens is fantastic throughout it's entire focal range. A bargain can be had for about $700 in mint used condition in the box.

Joel

iiiNelson

So I was able to go by the local camera store for their Tamron event to put my name down on the 70-180/2.8 waiting list which I’m first on. The rep did reiterate that Tamron has 6 additional lenses in the pipeline for announcement next year. At least 2 of them are for Sony FE but the other 4 MAY come to Sony as well.

While I was there I did test out the A7RIV. In short it’s an excellent camera but the size really isn’t all that different for me personally. It’ll likely demand the vertical grip if I’m using the camera with longer lenses. My pinky finger and my ring finger still come off the camera. The beefier grip is comfortable though. The EVF is nice but not so nice that I find it to be the thing that magically makes me decide to give an EVF the chance of day. Some that are much more sensitive to a “good” EVF might feel differently but I’ve thought that they’ve been good enough for years now. Switching the EVF from standard (default settings) to high performance does improve the EVF (at the cost of reduced battery life) but again I didn’t feel it was necessary in standard shooting. I tested performance with both of the Tamron f/2.8 zooms and the 55/1.8. The performance was great as expected.

All in all I see why some like it better. I still want a larger body option.

Last edited:

algrove

new to Sony and A7RM4

So set ISO to Auto and to recognize ISO from 100-3200max

set "ISO Range Limit" from 100 to 3200

set "ISO AUTO Min.ss" to 1/250

So why when I point to a scene does the ss drop below 1/250. Shouldn't it drop to 1/250 and then after that start raising the ISO up to my 3200 setting based on my "ISO Range Limit" setting?

Thanks for any help.:salute:

vjbelle

Hi Lou...... although I don't use this feature on the Sony I have used it on the GFX and with all of the settings mimicking yours the shutter speed would drop below my minimum 'if' the scene were outside of the bounds of the highest ISO setting. I believe if you were to raise your ISO upper limit you would be able to maintain your minimum shutter speed.

Victor

algrove

What I am not used to if it hits the upper ISO setting and the LOW SS I set then it starts to take the f-stop to a smaller number even if I have it set on A.

The Q2 does not work that way zs it just underexposes the image once both high ISO and low SS are reached, which is fine for me while being able to bring up shadows.

jeffreybehr

Hi, could you post some comparison shots?
Quote Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post:

"Turns out I bought a Sigma 14-24 Art which arrived today.. Tested it and the Zony 16-35/4.. In a few words, the Sigma whipped the Zony in resolution, centers and sides."

This subject is sort of amusing.. I have NO shots comparing the two*.. I returned the rented 16-35/4.. I found the Sigma 14-24 to be excellent optically.. I also found it to be too heavy, too big, and that its inability to use front filters w/o a large, expensive filter system (like the Fotodiox WonderPana66) to be quite annoying, so I returned it.. Bought Zeiss Batises in 18, 40, and 85mm and love their results..

BUT...still fascinated with the 'little' Zony 16-35/4, I ordered a new one last weekend.. It will be coming from Florida via a company that seems to take DAYS to do anything--for instance I ordered it Sunday and here on Wednesday morning, all they've done is prepare a shipping label--so maybe I'll see it next week.. I know I'll shoot some tests and maybe I'll be ambitous enough to prepare and post some comparsons with the Batis 18.

BTW I LOVE your avatar. :)

* Once I reject a lens, I toss all its test-pics as I have limited space in my computer.

jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr: "...Turns out I bought a Sigma 14-24 Art which arrived today.. Tested it and the Zony 16-35/4.. In a few words, the Sigma whipped the Zony in resolution, centers and sides.. The Zony has some advantages--lighter, smaller, uses screw-in filters--but it's simply not competitive with the best of modern lenses with the 'R4."

Hi, could you post some comparison shots?
In a word, no; when I finish testing a lens, I toss the images as my computer's storage capacity is limited.

Interestingly, I returned the Sigma and bought a trio of Batises--18, 40, and85mm--and I love the results from them.. However, I continue to be fascinated by the 'little' 16-35/4 and bought a new one Sunday the 24th; it'll be here Monday the 2nd.. I'm anxious to see how this copy's images look.. MAYBE my 'R4's quintet of lenses will be the 16-35/4, Batises in 40 and 85mm, and two EXCELLENT Canons, the humble, little, inexpensive 70-200/L/USM/non-IS plus the 50mm TS-E.

More later.

FWIW, I LOVE your avatar.. Here are some caps I have custom made.

picman

jeffreybehr: "...Turns out I bought a Sigma 14-24 Art which arrived today.. Tested it and the Zony 16-35/4.. In a few words, the Sigma whipped the Zony in resolution, centers and sides.. The Zony has some advantages--lighter, smaller, uses screw-in filters--but it's simply not competitive with the best of modern lenses with the 'R4."

In a word, no; when I finish testing a lens, I toss the images as my computer's storage capacity is limited.

Interestingly, I returned the Sigma and bought a trio of Batises--18, 40, and85mm--and I love the results from them.. However, I continue to be fascinated by the 'little' 16-35/4 and bought a new one Sunday the 24th; it'll be here Monday the 2nd.. I'm anxious to see how this copy's images look.. MAYBE my 'R4's quintet of lenses will be the 16-35/4, Batises in 40 and 85mm, and two EXCELLENT Canons, the humble, little, inexpensive 70-200/L/USM/non-IS plus the 50mm TS-E.

More later.

FWIW, I LOVE your avatar.. Here are some caps I have custom made.

Thanks for your reply, only saw it now. Itoo love the Batis lenses and quite enjoy the 16-35f4. Seems we have similar taste 😄