The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r IV

jeffreybehr

Thanks for your reply, saw it only now. I too love the Batis lenses and quite enjoy the 16-35f4. Seems we have similar taste ��
Well, close, but apparently I wasn't finished buying ultrawides.

Frankly, I'm not sure what 'inspired' me to buy my 2nd Zony 16-35/4 in a few months (blind optimism?); it too did not perform well(1) and it's sold.. Finally I admitted to myself that the best-performing UW zoom that uses screw-on filters apparently is the Sony 16-35GM.. I think its $2200 price kept me from considering it, but I now have TWO here, one rented(2) and one purchased from B&H.. The rental arrived first and impressed very positively including the phillipreeve.com tests(3) for decentering; the new one performs just as well and I'm keeping it.

I've retired the Batis 18 but will keep the 40 in my bag until I decide it's redundant with the 16-35.. So I'll have the 16-35GM, Batis 40/2 and 85/1.8, and Canon 70-200/4/L/USM/non-IS plus 1.4x(III) extender, plus the Canon 50mm TS-E Macro (gen.3), the best-resolving and most-versitile lens I've ever owned.

...oh ya...plus the Sony 24-105/4.

(1) What this lens needs is a SQUARE sensor 24mm tall; that way one wouldn't see the lens's soft sides.
(2) From LensRentals; $168 for seven days including $25 shipping both ways and $8 Arizona salestax.. Will be returned tomorrow the 12th.
(3) https://phillipreeve.net/blog/how-to-check-how-decentered-your-lens-is/

Last edited:

stngoldberg

While the Sony 7R4 is not a great camera for wildlife imaging, the megapixels allow for a vastly superior result over the SonyA9 out of photoshop. The higher megapixels allow for a more robust result from the shadow and highlight tool as well as the obvious improvement in resolution.
The negative aspects of the 7r4 for birding photography are much slower focus acquisition and a less bright viewfinder compared to the A9.
The 200-600mm lens with the 1.4 extender continues to impress; this image is not cropped and the bird was more than 100 yards away from the lens
Stanley

Attachments

algrove

Re: a7R IV

...and this morning moved the other two Batises to the surplus pile.. I'll be 'carrying' the 16-35GM, 24-105/4, and Canon '98-280' /4/L/USM/1.4X, plus the TS-E 50 Macro (in a Rogetti frame) .

Will be at Sabino Canyon...
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coronado/recarea/?recid=80532
...Friday or Sat., scouting for foto ops.. Maybe I'll even take some pics! :)
Thanks for your post.
Just wondering if the 24-105 is better than the 25/40/85 Batis threesome? Not sure what type of photography you aim for but I will be using these 3 for street on 1 or 2 bodies. I wanted to keep it small and fear that 24-105 might be too large for streeting.
Any comments would be kind. Thanks.
Lou

pegelli

I don't have the A7Riv but a A7ii and A7Rii. For street use I prefer my Sony 28/2 or Samyang 35/2.8 over my 24-70/4 zoom, since I find that one too large for street work, and the 24-105 is even larger. So my advice would be to stick with your Batis set for street allthough I realise that all of this is very subjective and really depends on your own personal preferences.

jeffreybehr

Thanks for your post.
Just wondering if the 24-105 is better than the 25/40/85 Batis threesome? Not sure what type of photography you aim for but I will be using these 3 for street on 1 or 2 bodies. I wanted to keep it small and fear that 24-105 might be too large for streeting.
Any comments would be kind. Thanks.
Lou
Well, seems I change my attitude about my lens mix about once a week.. I'm most ambivalent about the Sony 24-105--it's in the bag one week, the next week, out, then back in, etc.. I shoot mostly landscapes, and I suffer with the results of a right-shoulder-joint replacement in combination with a junk rotator cuff.. As a result, I have major limitations in weight I can load my right arm with--generally NMT around 10 pounds/4KG.

Currently the 24-105 and the Batis 18 and 40 are in my surplus pile and are listed for sale on a couple foto forums.. I can't say that I dislike specific aspects of the 24-105, I simply don't much like it...can't be more specific than that.

I think the Batis 40 would be wonderful for street fotografy in contrast to the 24-105 which would be, IMO, too large and too heavy.. (The 24-105's weight of 723 grams [with caps and hood] is 71% more than the 40's 422 grams.)

The Batis 85 is in my bag of lenses as of now, along with the 16-35GM, Otus 55/1.4 (EF), Canon 70-200 (non-IS) plus 1.4-III extender and the TS-E50 Macro (gen.3).. We'll see.

algrove

Well, seems I change my attitude about my lens mix about once a week.. I'm most ambivalent about the Sony 24-105--it's in the bag one week, the next week, out, then back in, etc.. I shoot mostly landscapes, and I suffer with the results of a right-shoulder-joint replacement in combination with a junk rotator cuff.. As a result, I have major limitations in weight I can load my right arm with--generally NMT around 10 pounds/4KG.

Currently the 24-105 and the Batis 18 and 40 are in my surplus pile and are listed for sale on a couple foto forums.. I can't say that I dislike specific aspects of the 24-105, I simply don't much like it...can't be more specific than that.

I think the Batis 40 would be wonderful for street fotografy in contrast to the 24-105 which would be, IMO, too large and too heavy.. (The 24-105's weight of 723 grams [with caps and hood] is 71% more than the 40's 422 grams.)

The Batis 85 is in my bag of lenses as of now, along with the 16-35GM, Otus 55/1.4 (EF), Canon 70-200 (non-IS) plus 1.4-III extender and the TS-E50 Macro (gen.3).. We'll see.
I have used the Batis 25 in the past and that FL gives me room to compose at home should I need to. The 40 is a bit bigger than the 25, but still manageable and the 85 to my surprise is about the same length of the 40. Not a bad 3 lens street setup for me.

B L

LOVE
stanley
Stan,
The title LOVE is appropriate. Now its time to start a sonnet and I will begin with following words.
"Lets live together forever,

I am hoping to rescue me by our friend Matt for completing the rest.
Thanks Matt.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Stan,
The title LOVE is appropriate. Now its time to start a sonnet and I will begin with following words.
"Lets live together forever,

I am hoping to rescue me by our friend Matt for completing the rest.
Thanks Matt.
Sorry, my sonnet output is about one every forty years. :eek:

Matt