The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r IV pixel shift with strobe problem

alharding

Hello,

I just bought an A7r IV and have been putting it through some tests. I'm very impressed by the results, especially the pixel shift. One thing though, When i use pixel shift with a strobe, I get frames that are mostly black. e curtain shutter on or off doesn't appear to change this. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have an inkling on how to remedy it?

Many Thanks,

Al

EmptyName.jpgEmptyName.jpg

Barry Haines

Hello,

I just bought an A7r IV and have been putting it through some tests. I'm very impressed by the results, especially the pixel shift. One thing though, When i use pixel shift with a strobe, I get frames that are mostly black. e curtain shutter on or off doesn't appear to change this. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have an inkling on how to remedy it?

Many Thanks,

Al

View attachment 144380View attachment 144380
It's been a couple of decades since I professionally lit interiors with flash...but it looks to me like the shutter speed you have chosen is faster than your flash synch speed of your camera.
These links maybe of help
https://fstoppers.com/originals/demystifying-high-speed-sync-68527
https://www.tanguayphotomag.biz/flash-sync/highspeed-flashsync.html
Enjoy your A7R IV camera

Last edited:

alharding

Thanks Barry, I appreciate this. I think your answer makes sense. I'm still at a loss as to why it doesn't occur in single shot vs. Multi shot but the sync issue does explain the look of the partially black frames. Thank you,

Al

Hello,

Many Thanks,

Al

View attachment 144380View attachment 144380

alharding

I just ran some more tests and Barry, you were correct. Anything faster than 1/8 causes the artifact. Very low sync speed with the pixel shift.. It has to be static anyhow I guess.. Thanks again,

Al

seb

It may depend on the flash as well... What flashes you used? Do you checked High Speed Sync?
My preorder of the a7RIV is still open. Therefore I can't check it by my own to give you some more experience data.

I just ran some more tests and Barry, you were correct. Anything faster than 1/8 causes the artifact. Very low sync speed with the pixel shift.. It has to be static anyhow I guess.. Thanks again,

Al

alharding

I had only used the camera with a Profoto Acute 2400 set..I haven't tried the HSS options or another flash just yet. Its a good point though, I should try some other units. P.S. The camera is great. You'll be pleased with the results.

It may depend on the flash as well... What flashes you used? Do you checked High Speed Sync?
My preorder of the a7RIV is still open. Therefore I can't check it by my own to give you some more experience data.

seb

From dpreviews review:

Key takeaways to pixel shift:

• Users can choose to capture 4 shots to cancel the Bayer filter array and get better detail from 60.2MP files, or capture 16 shots and combine them on an editing computer for 240MP files
  • Works with strobes, but the fastest shutter speed available is 1/8 sec
  • No motion-correction severely limits the range of subjects it can be used with
  • Cumbersome 'Imaging Edge' software is required for best results (the camera cannot combine its images internally)