The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A9 II Announced

iiiNelson

Outside the hardware changes this seems like an unnecessary upgrade for most. There'sa new imaging processor, updated WiFi and Ethernet modules, the updated body features from the A7RIV, dual SDXC UHS2 slots, updated color profile to match the A7RIV, and a new mechanical shutter that allows 10fps.

I was hoping for the new EVF at least but it's not present. If anything this will make a reduced price A9 more attractive. Great camera without a doubt but it was a "safe" upgrade.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/14625...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre. Nice summary.
I am in good shape with my A9. :grin:
Will you join the club? :salute:
Maybe. I want to see what the yet to be announced A7SIII brings. If it has a similar sensor setup to the FX9 then I’ll probably go that route for my main body and maybe add another body but it needs to come by Summer 2020 at the latest otherwise I’ll reassess where the camera landscape is. I’m strongly considering the A9 (especially if Sony runs an incredible sale that puts it around $3k new.)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If anything this will make a reduced price A9 more attractive.
That pretty much sums it up. They must be pretty sure that Canikon won't come up with a mirrorless competitor the coming year, and with Nikon having already announced the D6 and Canon apparently struggling to develop an A7R/Z7 competitor, they are probably right.

iiiNelson

That pretty much sums it up. They must be pretty sure that Canikon won't come up with a mirrorless competitor the coming year, and with Nikon having already announced the D6 and Canon apparently struggling to develop an A7R/Z7 competitor, they are probably right.
Or they just don’t care because a reduced price A9 is much more attractive (and on a completely different level) than what the competition offers if speed/performance is the desire.

Last edited:

JoelM

I noticed a few A9 on FM for sale had been pulled assuming that they would rather keep them than upgrade. I had thought the EVF and sensor would've both been upgraded. Perhaps 36mp sensor can't handle 20fps.

Joel

iiiNelson

I noticed a few A9 on FM for sale had been pulled assuming that they would rather keep them than upgrade. I had thought the EVF and sensor would've both been upgraded. Perhaps 36mp sensor can't handle 20fps.

Joel
I’m thinking that they’re saving it for further technology development. Perhaps they don’t need it right now with the current competition and perhaps the immediate hardware improvements were more important to get into pro photographers hands before the Olympics next year. I’m sort of conflicted in that the upgraded mechanical shutter and card slots are a pretty big upgrade. The connectivity stuff doesn’t affect me much. I’d still like to have the option of a larger body still in the FE lineup. Hopefully the A7SIII is soon announced. I’m guessing it will be announced at CES and perhaps we will get 8K to 4K oversampling and 4K120 if they bump the resolution up. I’m guessing that we will see a resolution bump there over the 12mp in any case or people will be disappointed after waiting so long.