The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer 50/2

vjbelle

I ended up returning mine as ultimately it showed decentering. I would like to try another copy but have my Zeiss 100mm planar standing by which is a stellar performer. I also have the Sony 135 f1.8 coming this morning.... the first five exposures with it will be for checking for symmetry.. Hopefully it will be OK but I've read horror threads at FM regarding decentering for this lens.

Victor

drunkenspyder

I ended up returning mine as ultimately it showed decentering. I would like to try another copy but have my Zeiss 100mm planar standing by which is a stellar performer. I also have the Sony 135 f1.8 coming this morning.... the first five exposures with it will be for checking for symmetry.. Hopefully it will be OK but I've read horror threads at FM regarding decentering for this lens.

Victor
Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound less enthusiastic than before.

vjbelle

Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound less enthusiastic than before.
If you are directing this towards the Sony 135mm then you are correct in that my enthusiasm was dampened by the posts at FM. However I have received my lens and am able to determine that it is not decentered and that it is tack sharp edge to edge, corner to corner wide open. So far the symmetry is as close to perfection as I have seen in any lens. Color is unbelievable..... I am as stunned by it as I was/am by the Voigtlander 65mm.

If you are directing this towards the Voigtlander 110mm then I just don't know. I would like to see another copy which I can do at any time. I returned it based on numerous skyline images I took while in San Diego. The left hand side just showed a slight defocus compared to the right hand side and I was on Coronado shooting the images so everything should have been tack sharp at f5.6 left to right. Disappointing for sure.... Again, being fairly picky but that's where I'm at these days.

I would like to get away from DSLR lenses as those days and those lenses are really in the past. Not that they can't be great for now but they will more than likely not be replaced as everything is going mirrorless and the king of mirrorless is Sony.... they own the car and the highway.

Always nice to hear from you.... wish I lived in you corner of the world for photography.

Victor

vjbelle

I got the same notice from Cameraquest. I'm not going to order until the dust settles. I don't think that Cameraquest is as amiable to returns as Adorama or B&H and I'm not taking any chances on any lens unless I can return it.

Victor

drunkenspyder

If you are directing this towards the Sony 135mm then you are correct in that my enthusiasm was dampened by the posts at FM. However I have received my lens and am able to determine that it is not decentered and that it is tack sharp edge to edge, corner to corner wide open. So far the symmetry is as close to perfection as I have seen in any lens. Color is unbelievable..... I am as stunned by it as I was/am by the Voigtlander 65mm.

If you are directing this towards the Voigtlander 110mm then I just don't know. I would like to see another copy which I can do at any time. I returned it based on numerous skyline images I took while in San Diego. The left hand side just showed a slight defocus compared to the right hand side and I was on Coronado shooting the images so everything should have been tack sharp at f5.6 left to right. Disappointing for sure.... Again, being fairly picky but that's where I'm at these days.

I would like to get away from DSLR lenses as those days and those lenses are really in the past. Not that they can't be great for now but they will more than likely not be replaced as everything is going mirrorless and the king of mirrorless is Sony.... they own the car and the highway.

Always nice to hear from you.... wish I lived in you corner of the world for photography.

Victor
Thanks for the detailed input Victor. I was more focused on the V 110mm. I have the Batis 135/2.8, and I am pleased with it so far, though how much I reach for it remains to be seen, and therefore to some degree how compelling the 110 might be. Part of my reason for switching from Nikon Z to Sony was also to get away from DSLR lenses. Images made with legacy mount lenses were/are fine, but given the potential of the new Z mount, and that being one of the reasons I liked the Z7 and gave up my D850 to start using it, I found myself not wanting to wait on Nikon’s road map to get the lenses I wanted designed for mirrorless. Hardly the main driver, but it was a factor.

Shooting around Coronado is fun. Haven’t been there in a while.

drunkenspyder

I got the same notice from Cameraquest. I'm not going to order until the dust settles. I don't think that Cameraquest is as amiable to returns as Adorama or B&H and I'm not taking any chances on any lens unless I can return it.

Victor
I think this is a fair point. I have always enjoyed B+H’s return policy and practice, and could truly only wish that it were as easy as Amazon’s, which in my experience is supreme. But, I appreciated the way Steve Gandy made it possible to express interest in the lens, how I received the email as soon as he had inventory confirmation, and how he made the $100 deposit option available. So, I decided to take the chance and pre-order with CQ. I checked the return policy there, and here is what it says:

30 Day Return Period: NEW or USED, If you don't like what you have bought FOR ANY REASON, just return it within 30 days of receipt. You will receive a refund of the purchase price without a restocking fee, providing the item and its factory packaging is safely received back in the same EXACT condition as shipped -- otherwise no return. Email [email protected] to let me know of the return and to provide me with a tracking number. Be sure to insure the returned item. If it is lost or damaged in transit, I will not issue a refund or exchange. Return shipping and insurance is at your expense. Shipping charges will not be reimbursed under any circumstances.
I think Victor’s point about “amiability” is a good one. Amazon almost seems to encourage returns, while B+H seems to welcome them. The “tone” of CQ’s return policy seems a bit more “neutral.” I haven’t had any experience with it, and hopefully I won’t need to. But I’m willing to give CQ my business on this lens (I still don’t see it at B+H, but I might have searched for it incorrectly).

Last edited:

vjbelle

Thanks for the detailed input Victor. I was more focused on the V 110mm. I have the Batis 135/2.8, and I am pleased with it so far, though how much I reach for it remains to be seen, and therefore to some degree how compelling the 110 might be. Part of my reason for switching from Nikon Z to Sony was also to get away from DSLR lenses. Images made with legacy mount lenses were/are fine, but given the potential of the new Z mount, and that being one of the reasons I liked the Z7 and gave up my D850 to start using it, I found myself not wanting to wait on Nikon’s road map to get the lenses I wanted designed for mirrorless. Hardly the main driver, but it was a factor.

Shooting around Coronado is fun. Haven’t been there in a while.
I was really on the fence about the Z but when the Sony was announced with the new sensor I was hooked. I have lots of fun with the Sony and have no regrets.

I am thinking that the next iteration will maybe keep the sensor but place some emphasis on computational capabilities. Sony could easily add Frame Averaging and for sure focus stacking all being built into the camera.

Time will tell....

Victor

Barry Haines

Seems like a lot of interest in the Voigtlander 50mm f/2 Apo-Lantahar E lens.

Just wanted to say that Robert White (UK) is now taking Pre-orders for this particular lens (Incl. Vat: £869.00)...expected sometime in December 19
https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/voigtlander-50mm-f2-apo-lanthar-aspherical-e-mount-lens.html

If you are prepared to pay up front during their Black Friday Sale period (23rd Nov 19 - 2nd Dec 19)...you can apply a 10% discount code at Checkout... RW-BF19-10
https://mailchi.mp/robertwhite/black-friday-2019

This now brings the price down to £782.10 incl VAT :thumbs: ...That includes shipping for free within most of the UK...That is a pretty sweet deal in my books!
(I also believe that they do International Shipping... You will need to check warranty and shipping together with any possible tax duties with them).

The 10% Discount Code looks like it applies to pretty much everything that they sell during the Black Friday sale period using that discount code :D
Which might be handy if you are interested in some other item...like a Voigtlander 110mm Apo-Lanthar etc...

Enjoy your weekend guys

Cheers Barry

pegelli

^^ Thanks Barry, but the question that immediately springs to my mind is: "Did you order one?"

Barry Haines

^^ Thanks Barry, but the question that immediately springs to my mind is: "Did you order one?"
Hi Pieter

YES :grin:

That code worked for me...Paid with Paypal £782.10 inc VAT and Shipping...I used to know Robert personally before he sadly passed away...I have used that company many times and never a problem to date.

They are the Voigtlanders main distributors for the UK (Just like Cameraquest is in the USA)

I was thinking of you Pieter with Re: CV 110mm https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/voigtlander-110mm-f2-5-e-mount-macro-apo-lanthar-lens.html Incl. Vat: £918.20 ends up being £826.38 :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers Barry

pegelli

Ooooh, that's tempting.
I already gave myself a black friday A7Rii (for € 1299 incl. shipping and VAT) so my piggy bank first needs some food to recover. Maybe if my 'original' A7 sells fast and high enough :salute:

This proves that with the internet shops like we use this is far from the truth:

:ROTFL:

Barry Haines

I'll probably use my saved pennies first on the APO Lanthar 110, before spending it on this one.
I'm sure it will be stellar (like all recent Voigtländer offerings) but I already have enough nifty 50's, some good, some very good and some where "character" surpasses quality :LOL:
Ooooh, that's tempting.
I already gave myself a black friday A7Rii (for € 1299 incl. shipping and VAT) so my piggy bank first needs some food to recover. Maybe if my 'original' A7 sells fast and high enough :salute:

This proves that with the internet shops like we use this is far from the truth:

:ROTFL:

But you said that you were saving pennies Pieter...not euros!...I assume that you have at least 2 piggy banks for each currency :ROTFL:

"Stay at home and save 100%"...Agree, how untrue thx to the internet!...The only way to really save money is to sleep longer :ROTFL:

Enjoy your new Sony camera and good luck selling the old one.

Cheers Barry

Last edited: