The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer 50/2

pegelli

Thanks Barry, enjoy your Voigtländer 50/2 when it arrives and I'm looking forward to the results you can show with it.

iiiNelson

Ooooh, that's tempting.
I already gave myself a black friday A7Rii (for € 1299 incl. shipping and VAT) so my piggy bank first needs some food to recover. Maybe if my 'original' A7 sells fast and high enough :salute:

This proves that with the internet shops like we use this is far from the truth:

:ROTFL:
Must be the season... I got myself a Black Friday S1R kit (B&H was running a deal on open box and demo units for ~50% off) for ~$2400 with tax shipped... awaiting arrival at home now as it’s gonna get here a day early it seems.

Barry Haines

Voigtlander 50mm Apo-Lanthar arrived this morning...looks to be excellent on a quick inspection (Lens decenter test - https://phillipreeve.net/blog/how-to-check-how-decentered-your-lens-is/ )
Weather is dreadful outside (Heavy rain and winds)...Will try and add a few images as the day progresses + Add notes/observations.

1. Unlike the Voigtlander Noktons (21mm/f1.4, 40mm/f1.2 and 50mm/f1.2 E mount) The lens hood does not have a "inner hood" filter thread.
The front lens cap or filters attach to either the outside of the Hood 58mm (threaded) or the lens itself 49mm (threaded)...Both 49mm and 58mm caps are included.

2. Aperture curved blades form a perfect circle at f/2 + f/2.8 + f/16 only - Otherwise you can just make out the shape of the diaphragm in the OoF bokeh balls...To be honest it's pretty much a mute point by f/11.

3. Aperture bokeh OoF balls, look relatively clean wide open...On stopping down to the other extreme f/16, I see small OoF bokeh balls with a concentric ring pattern.

4. The OoF balls are circular in shape on central axis as you would expect, changing into a typical cats eye shape into the extreme corners of the frame.

5. The OoF areas are nicely smooth/rounded on close-ups at f/2 which I find pleasant to my eyes (YMMV)....When the weather improves I shall check at mid-field to see if the bokeh becomes nervous or not.

6. Focusing ring is smooth but all my other Voigtlander lenses (21mm, 40mm, 50mm, 65mm and 110mm) have a little more resistance which I personally prefer...circa 150 deg focus throw (Inf- 0.45m).

Last edited:

JoelM

Has anyone done a side by side with the Loxia 50? I'd be curious to know as I have the Loxia and am quite pleased with it.... for now. Damn GAS.

Joel