Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 45 of 45

Thread: Voigtländer 50/2

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Arrow Voigtländer 50/2

    The APO-Lanthar success story continues:50mm F2 for Sony E-mount | dpreview

    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    4,726
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    The APO-Lanthar success story continues:50mm F2 for Sony E-mount | dpreview

    Thanks Bart. Too bad they don’t have AF.
    With best regards, K-H.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Bart. Too bad they don’t have AF.
    So very true, but think of the size and weight ...
    Not to mention their performance, just gorgeous !
    Bart ...

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Bart ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member JoelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Very excited about this lens. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against my Loxia.

    Joel
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Don't know about the Loxia, but if it stacks up to my 65/2 or 21/1.4, it'll be sublime.
    In fact I'm more interested how it stacks up to its peers: the Leica 50/2 APO-Summicron M or SL ...
    Bart ...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Barry Haines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    On Cosina’s Japanese website now: http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt...mF2/index.html including some sample pictures.

    Suggested retail price (tax not included): ¥ 120,000 (€1000 / $1100)
    Scheduled to be released in December 2019
    Bart ...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    FTFY.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Not a doubt in my mind that I would order one when available. Odd that Voigtlander doesn't provide MTF for any other lens.

    Victor
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Two samples from Cosina's website to whet your appetite. Careful though, they're huge !

    1. 6000x4000 14MB apo-lanthar-50:2-sample-1-big.jpg
    2. 6000x4000 11MB apo-lanthar-50:2-sample-2-big.jpg
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  13. #13
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Not a doubt in my mind that I would order one when available. Odd that Voigtlander doesn't provide MTF for any other lens.

    Victor
    Ditto.

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    doubt ? ordered !

    Bart ...

  15. #15
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    doubt ? ordered !

    Where?

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    Where?
    Here: Foto Kino Linders - Venlo (Limburg), Netherlands ...

    http://www.fotokinolinders.eu/produc...oducts_id=4387
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  17. #17
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Here: Foto Kino Linders - Venlo (Limburg), Netherlands ...

    http://www.fotokinolinders.eu/produc...oducts_id=4387
    Thanks. I see this is showing in stock on December 11, 2019. I wrote B+H to see if they have it on the calendar yet.

  18. #18
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    Thanks. I see this is showing in stock on December 11, 2019. I wrote B+H to see if they have it on the calendar yet.
    B+H says this is not yet showing as officially released or announced by Voigtlander. I know there's been a press release from somewhere, but nothing official just yet. Fingers crossed for next month.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    I would think that CameraQuest would be on top of this.....

    Victor
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    I'll probably use my saved pennies first on the APO Lanthar 110, before spending it on this one.
    I'm sure it will be stellar (like all recent Voigtländer offerings) but I already have enough nifty 50's, some good, some very good and some where "character" surpasses quality

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    You will not regret purchasing the 110mm. A stunning lens.....

    Victor

  22. #22
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I would think that CameraQuest would be on top of this.....

    Victor
    We'll see; I dropped him a quick note. Thanks for the suggestion.

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,652
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    We'll see; I dropped him a quick note. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I’ve purchased all of my Voigtlander lenses (a total of about 8 lenses over the years) from him except one and it was always a pleasant experience.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,652
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Just a heads up for anyone interested in Voigtlander lenses, CameraQuest is having a sale right now on them (Sony FE/ Leica M/ Micro 4/3 alike).

    https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtla...eid=332e693acc
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  25. #25
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone interested in Voigtlander lenses, CameraQuest is having a sale right now on them (Sony FE/ Leica M/ Micro 4/3 alike).

    https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtla...eid=332e693acc
    Yep. Includes the 110, which I am thinking of getting. Appears all the major vendors are offering similar discounts.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    I ended up returning mine as ultimately it showed decentering. I would like to try another copy but have my Zeiss 100mm planar standing by which is a stellar performer. I also have the Sony 135 f1.8 coming this morning.... the first five exposures with it will be for checking for symmetry.. Hopefully it will be OK but I've read horror threads at FM regarding decentering for this lens.

    Victor

  27. #27
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I ended up returning mine as ultimately it showed decentering. I would like to try another copy but have my Zeiss 100mm planar standing by which is a stellar performer. I also have the Sony 135 f1.8 coming this morning.... the first five exposures with it will be for checking for symmetry.. Hopefully it will be OK but I've read horror threads at FM regarding decentering for this lens.

    Victor
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound less enthusiastic than before.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound less enthusiastic than before.
    If you are directing this towards the Sony 135mm then you are correct in that my enthusiasm was dampened by the posts at FM. However I have received my lens and am able to determine that it is not decentered and that it is tack sharp edge to edge, corner to corner wide open. So far the symmetry is as close to perfection as I have seen in any lens. Color is unbelievable..... I am as stunned by it as I was/am by the Voigtlander 65mm.

    If you are directing this towards the Voigtlander 110mm then I just don't know. I would like to see another copy which I can do at any time. I returned it based on numerous skyline images I took while in San Diego. The left hand side just showed a slight defocus compared to the right hand side and I was on Coronado shooting the images so everything should have been tack sharp at f5.6 left to right. Disappointing for sure.... Again, being fairly picky but that's where I'm at these days.

    I would like to get away from DSLR lenses as those days and those lenses are really in the past. Not that they can't be great for now but they will more than likely not be replaced as everything is going mirrorless and the king of mirrorless is Sony.... they own the car and the highway.

    Always nice to hear from you.... wish I lived in you corner of the world for photography.

    Victor
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    4,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Cameraquest is now taking pre-orders for the new APO 50 Lanthar.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    I got the same notice from Cameraquest. I'm not going to order until the dust settles. I don't think that Cameraquest is as amiable to returns as Adorama or B&H and I'm not taking any chances on any lens unless I can return it.

    Victor
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #31
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    If you are directing this towards the Sony 135mm then you are correct in that my enthusiasm was dampened by the posts at FM. However I have received my lens and am able to determine that it is not decentered and that it is tack sharp edge to edge, corner to corner wide open. So far the symmetry is as close to perfection as I have seen in any lens. Color is unbelievable..... I am as stunned by it as I was/am by the Voigtlander 65mm.

    If you are directing this towards the Voigtlander 110mm then I just don't know. I would like to see another copy which I can do at any time. I returned it based on numerous skyline images I took while in San Diego. The left hand side just showed a slight defocus compared to the right hand side and I was on Coronado shooting the images so everything should have been tack sharp at f5.6 left to right. Disappointing for sure.... Again, being fairly picky but that's where I'm at these days.

    I would like to get away from DSLR lenses as those days and those lenses are really in the past. Not that they can't be great for now but they will more than likely not be replaced as everything is going mirrorless and the king of mirrorless is Sony.... they own the car and the highway.

    Always nice to hear from you.... wish I lived in you corner of the world for photography.

    Victor
    Thanks for the detailed input Victor. I was more focused on the V 110mm. I have the Batis 135/2.8, and I am pleased with it so far, though how much I reach for it remains to be seen, and therefore to some degree how compelling the 110 might be. Part of my reason for switching from Nikon Z to Sony was also to get away from DSLR lenses. Images made with legacy mount lenses were/are fine, but given the potential of the new Z mount, and that being one of the reasons I liked the Z7 and gave up my D850 to start using it, I found myself not wanting to wait on Nikon’s road map to get the lenses I wanted designed for mirrorless. Hardly the main driver, but it was a factor.

    Shooting around Coronado is fun. Haven’t been there in a while.

  32. #32
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Cameraquest is now taking pre-orders for the new APO 50 Lanthar.
    Yep. Order up!

  33. #33
    Senior Member drunkenspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I got the same notice from Cameraquest. I'm not going to order until the dust settles. I don't think that Cameraquest is as amiable to returns as Adorama or B&H and I'm not taking any chances on any lens unless I can return it.

    Victor
    I think this is a fair point. I have always enjoyed B+H’s return policy and practice, and could truly only wish that it were as easy as Amazon’s, which in my experience is supreme. But, I appreciated the way Steve Gandy made it possible to express interest in the lens, how I received the email as soon as he had inventory confirmation, and how he made the $100 deposit option available. So, I decided to take the chance and pre-order with CQ. I checked the return policy there, and here is what it says:

    30 Day Return Period: NEW or USED, If you don't like what you have bought FOR ANY REASON, just return it within 30 days of receipt. You will receive a refund of the purchase price without a restocking fee, providing the item and its factory packaging is safely received back in the same EXACT condition as shipped -- otherwise no return. Email [email protected] to let me know of the return and to provide me with a tracking number. Be sure to insure the returned item. If it is lost or damaged in transit, I will not issue a refund or exchange. Return shipping and insurance is at your expense. Shipping charges will not be reimbursed under any circumstances.
    I think Victor’s point about “amiability” is a good one. Amazon almost seems to encourage returns, while B+H seems to welcome them. The “tone” of CQ’s return policy seems a bit more “neutral.” I haven’t had any experience with it, and hopefully I won’t need to. But I’m willing to give CQ my business on this lens (I still don’t see it at B+H, but I might have searched for it incorrectly).
    Last edited by drunkenspyder; 28th November 2019 at 00:33.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    Thanks for the detailed input Victor. I was more focused on the V 110mm. I have the Batis 135/2.8, and I am pleased with it so far, though how much I reach for it remains to be seen, and therefore to some degree how compelling the 110 might be. Part of my reason for switching from Nikon Z to Sony was also to get away from DSLR lenses. Images made with legacy mount lenses were/are fine, but given the potential of the new Z mount, and that being one of the reasons I liked the Z7 and gave up my D850 to start using it, I found myself not wanting to wait on Nikon’s road map to get the lenses I wanted designed for mirrorless. Hardly the main driver, but it was a factor.

    Shooting around Coronado is fun. Haven’t been there in a while.
    I was really on the fence about the Z but when the Sony was announced with the new sensor I was hooked. I have lots of fun with the Sony and have no regrets.

    I am thinking that the next iteration will maybe keep the sensor but place some emphasis on computational capabilities. Sony could easily add Frame Averaging and for sure focus stacking all being built into the camera.

    Time will tell....

    Victor
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #36
    Senior Member Barry Haines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Seems like a lot of interest in the Voigtlander 50mm f/2 Apo-Lantahar E lens.

    Just wanted to say that Robert White (UK) is now taking Pre-orders for this particular lens (Incl. Vat: £869.00)...expected sometime in December 19
    https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/voigtl...ount-lens.html

    If you are prepared to pay up front during their Black Friday Sale period (23rd Nov 19 - 2nd Dec 19)...you can apply a 10% discount code at Checkout... RW-BF19-10
    https://mailchi.mp/robertwhite/black-friday-2019

    This now brings the price down to £782.10 incl VAT ...That includes shipping for free within most of the UK...That is a pretty sweet deal in my books!
    (I also believe that they do International Shipping... You will need to check warranty and shipping together with any possible tax duties with them).

    The 10% Discount Code looks like it applies to pretty much everything that they sell during the Black Friday sale period using that discount code
    Which might be handy if you are interested in some other item...like a Voigtlander 110mm Apo-Lanthar etc...

    Enjoy your weekend guys

    Cheers Barry
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  37. #37
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    ^^ Thanks Barry, but the question that immediately springs to my mind is: "Did you order one?"
    My Pics
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #38
    Senior Member Barry Haines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    ^^ Thanks Barry, but the question that immediately springs to my mind is: "Did you order one?"
    Hi Pieter

    YES

    That code worked for me...Paid with Paypal £782.10 inc VAT and Shipping...I used to know Robert personally before he sadly passed away...I have used that company many times and never a problem to date.

    They are the Voigtlanders main distributors for the UK (Just like Cameraquest is in the USA)

    I was thinking of you Pieter with Re: CV 110mm https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/voigtl...thar-lens.html Incl. Vat: £918.20 ends up being £826.38

    Cheers Barry
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  39. #39
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Ooooh, that's tempting.
    I already gave myself a black friday A7Rii (for € 1299 incl. shipping and VAT) so my piggy bank first needs some food to recover. Maybe if my 'original' A7 sells fast and high enough

    This proves that with the internet shops like we use this is far from the truth:


    My Pics
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #40
    Senior Member Barry Haines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I'll probably use my saved pennies first on the APO Lanthar 110, before spending it on this one.
    I'm sure it will be stellar (like all recent Voigtländer offerings) but I already have enough nifty 50's, some good, some very good and some where "character" surpasses quality
    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Ooooh, that's tempting.
    I already gave myself a black friday A7Rii (for € 1299 incl. shipping and VAT) so my piggy bank first needs some food to recover. Maybe if my 'original' A7 sells fast and high enough

    This proves that with the internet shops like we use this is far from the truth:



    But you said that you were saving pennies Pieter...not euros!...I assume that you have at least 2 piggy banks for each currency

    "Stay at home and save 100%"...Agree, how untrue thx to the internet!...The only way to really save money is to sleep longer

    Enjoy your new Sony camera and good luck selling the old one.

    Cheers Barry
    Last edited by Barry Haines; 30th November 2019 at 09:00.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Thanks Barry, enjoy your Voigtländer 50/2 when it arrives and I'm looking forward to the results you can show with it.
    My Pics
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #42
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,652
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Ooooh, that's tempting.
    I already gave myself a black friday A7Rii (for € 1299 incl. shipping and VAT) so my piggy bank first needs some food to recover. Maybe if my 'original' A7 sells fast and high enough

    This proves that with the internet shops like we use this is far from the truth:


    Must be the season... I got myself a Black Friday S1R kit (B&H was running a deal on open box and demo units for ~50% off) for ~$2400 with tax shipped... awaiting arrival at home now as it’s gonna get here a day early it seems.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #43
    Senior Member Barry Haines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Voigtlander 50mm Apo-Lanthar arrived this morning...looks to be excellent on a quick inspection (Lens decenter test - https://phillipreeve.net/blog/how-to...-your-lens-is/ )
    Weather is dreadful outside (Heavy rain and winds)...Will try and add a few images as the day progresses + Add notes/observations.

    1. Unlike the Voigtlander Noktons (21mm/f1.4, 40mm/f1.2 and 50mm/f1.2 E mount) The lens hood does not have a "inner hood" filter thread.
    The front lens cap or filters attach to either the outside of the Hood 58mm (threaded) or the lens itself 49mm (threaded)...Both 49mm and 58mm caps are included.

    2. Aperture curved blades form a perfect circle at f/2 + f/2.8 + f/16 only - Otherwise you can just make out the shape of the diaphragm in the OoF bokeh balls...To be honest it's pretty much a mute point by f/11.

    3. Aperture bokeh OoF balls, look relatively clean wide open...On stopping down to the other extreme f/16, I see small OoF bokeh balls with a concentric ring pattern.

    4. The OoF balls are circular in shape on central axis as you would expect, changing into a typical cats eye shape into the extreme corners of the frame.

    5. The OoF areas are nicely smooth/rounded on close-ups at f/2 which I find pleasant to my eyes (YMMV)....When the weather improves I shall check at mid-field to see if the bokeh becomes nervous or not.

    6. Focusing ring is smooth but all my other Voigtlander lenses (21mm, 40mm, 50mm, 65mm and 110mm) have a little more resistance which I personally prefer...circa 150 deg focus throw (Inf- 0.45m).










    Last edited by Barry Haines; 10th December 2019 at 08:00. Reason: Updates
    Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #44
    Senior Member JoelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Has anyone done a side by side with the Loxia 50? I'd be curious to know as I have the Loxia and am quite pleased with it.... for now. Damn GAS.

    Joel

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,961
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Voigtländer 50/2

    Ordered one, but sorry Joel do not own a Loxia 50.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •