The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

best 35mm shift option : Pentax 645 HD DFA VS Contax 35 PC distagon ?

archivue

I'm using shift lenses 99% of time... i have an A7R3 (i will upgrade later to A7R4 and GFX50r)
Similar post in the Fuji forum... because i need fuji gfx owners point of view as well...

Still no modern 35mm shift to fill the gap between 24 TS-e II and 50 TS-e...

I've done my homework and it looks like the best option are :

- Zeiss contax 645... but with fixed aperture... don't like it
- Zeiss Contax PC distagon
- Pentax 645 HD DFA last D version with manual aperture ring mounted on a shift adapter (i'm think of pentax 645 to Canon shift adapter in order to be able to use the lens with Sony A7r≈ and Fuji GFX.

For best quality, what will you recommend ?

Audii-Dudii

I'm using shift lenses 99% of time... i have an A7R3 (i will upgrade later to A7R4 and GFX50r)
Similar post in the Fuji forum... because i need fuji gfx owners point of view as well...

Still no modern 35mm shift to fill the gap between 24 TS-e II and 50 TS-e...

I've done my homework and it looks like the best option are :

- Zeiss contax 645... but with fixed aperture... don't like it
- Zeiss Contax PC distagon
- Pentax 645 HD DFA last D version with manual aperture ring mounted on a shift adapter (i'm think of pentax 645 to Canon shift adapter in order to be able to use the lens with Sony A7r≈ and Fuji GFX.

For best quality, what will you recommend ?
I have no significant first-hand experience with any of the Fuji GFX cameras nor the C/Y PC or Pentax 35 mm lenses, so I can't comment on any of those options (although I can point out that I own a C645 35mm and happily use it as a shift lens with my A7R in combination with my various FrankenKameras, which I suppose is a non-recommendation recommendation ... lol)

But so you know, there is potentially one way to address the fixed aperture issue you mentioned, which is to have Cambo replace the lens barrel and give it a mechanical aperture ring: https://www.cambousa.com/distagon-35-retrofit-for-cambo-actus

To be sure, this modification isn't inexpensive ($1175 plus shipping here in the U.S., which is in addition to the cost of the lens) and you'll then have to modify it again to replace the Actus lens panel they mount it to and all that entails. (Or maybe they can just leave off the Actus lens panel and charge you less? I don't know, but I certainly would ask!)

Anyway, where there's a will, there's an inheritance -- er, way and if you decide this is the lens you want to use, then this is one way -- and perhaps even the best way -- to make that possible.