The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 110mm APO Lanthar ?

KenLee

I have read conflicting reports about this lens (for example digilloyd rejected it).

Has anyone here purchased or rented one and shot it seriously, on a tripod, etc. ?

I don't own any native E-Mount lenses but am looking for something long with really good resolution, no distortion, minimal aberrations and close focus range. The 90mm Sony Macro is too short for what I'm considering.

Many thanks :)

Barry Haines

I have read conflicting reports about this lens (for example digilloyd rejected it).

Has anyone here purchased or rented one and shot it seriously, on a tripod, etc. ?

I don't own any native E-Mount lenses but am looking for something long with really good resolution, no distortion, minimal aberrations and close focus range. The 90mm Sony Macro is too short for what I'm considering.

Many thanks :)
Hi Ken
I still have the 2 CV Macro Apo-Lanthars (65mm and 110mm) + The Sony 90mm G Macro....All 3 lenses are very well corrected for aberrations, together with great resolution from WO with a smooth OoF rendering.
The 110mm will do 1:1 just like the Sony 90mm G does...The 110mm though has the added benefit of giving you a more comfortable further back working distance to work with when shooting at 1:1 - Obviously because of the slightly longer focal length (But then I'm sure you already knew that ;) ).
Infinity - 0.35m (1:1) in about 480 degrees of rotation (buttery smooth yet firm focus travel)...So plenty of fine focusing control when working on a tripod :)...The downside is that the front element racks out when getting in closer to your subject matter (unlike the Sony 90mm G) which can make composing slightly more awkward.
Downside of the 65mm is that it doesn't do 1:1...but it's my personal favourite of the 3 lenses....Size comparison of all 3 lenses below.
The 110mm is solidly built (old style) which I personally prefer in a manual focus lens.

Eight sample images taken with the CV 110mm (Handheld only) at various focused distances (Sadly though no samples at 1:1).... https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=54602555@N08&sort=date-taken-desc&text=110mm&view_all=1
I have not used this lens as much as I thought I was going to...The lens is a solid performer though, so I wouldn't be put off by Diglloyd if he rejected it (Not seen his review as I don't subscribe).
I believe Bart may still have his CV 110mm, as he does more macro than me...So he may want to chip in.
Good luck with your choice...Cheers Barry

vjbelle

The 110mm is, for me, an oustanding lens. Sharp edge to edge at any needed aperture including wide open. Haven't read Lloyd reasons for rejection but I have just shot with it in San Diego and it is superb. Excellent contrast, nice weight and links perfectly with the Sony 7IV. The only small gripe I have is with the aperture ring being just a little difficult to use on the 7IV.

Don't let lloyd be your benchmark......

I would not be without this lens....... so far.... which means that there has to be something really hidden that I haven't seen so far.

Victor

Knorp

I'v nothing to add to what has already been said here.
But I very much like to hear what caused the 'rejection'.

Krgds.

KenLee

Thank you very much for your insights and excellent sample photos !!!

Digilloyd doesn't use a repeatable studio setup where all variables are eliminated but his rigorous target is a large church facade composed of colored mosaic tiles. On his A7RIV at full resolution the 65mm APO Lanthar exhibits a modestly discernible improvement over the 110 as we reach the edges.

(Given decades with Large Format lenses this comes as no surprise to me at least, since longer and shorter LF lenses are harder to make than those of normal length. Lenses of normal length are almost always the sharpest. The fact that the 110 comes so close to the 65, a top performer, is actually rather astonishing !)

Digilloyd speculates that the 110 may suffer from field curvature or focus shift: perhaps it was just his rented sample. I would provide the images here but they are not mine to share and I respect his hard work and dedication.

If we print a 9000 pixel-wide file at maximum size (21 x 32 inches at 300 dpi) and inspect with a loupe we might notice a difference. However, even a little judicious sharpening erases the difference on my Retina display. At my largest print sizes (21 inches wide) I doubt anyone would notice.

vjbelle

I'v nothing to add to what has already been said here.
But I very much like to hear what caused the 'rejection'.

Krgds.
The 'Mighty' 110mm lens has a smidgen curvature. I would characterise it as being almost negligible at least compared to some of the really obvious offending lenses that I have owned for a day or so.

Please don't take Lloyds or my word for the merits or lack of for this lens. Test it for yourself!!

I can only tell you I would not be without this lens..... A stunning performer even with its smidgen of curvature which, to me, is almost non existent.

Cheers......

Victor

Knorp

The 'Mighty' 110mm lens has a smidgen curvature. I would characterise it as being almost negligible at least compared to some of the really obvious offending lenses that I have owned for a day or so.

Please don't take Lloyds or my word for the merits or lack of for this lens. Test it for yourself!!

I can only tell you I would not be without this lens..... A stunning performer even with its smidgen of curvature which, to me, is almost non existent.

Cheers......

Victor
Well, I'd say for what is basically a true macro lens this 'smidgen of curvature' can't be of any serious concern then.
For my macro/close-up snaps and the occasional long shot I'm very pleased with my copy ... :)

agfa100

Question have any of you compared the 110 vs the sigma 105 2.8 macro. I have a older one that I am quite happy with that I use on a Sony with the MC-11 adp. Any thought or ideas.