The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best FE lenses in 2019 for A7RiV?

tjv

Hi all,

I'm tire kicking at the moment, but have a large project about to start that will require me to use a handheld system in tandem with my technical camera setup (Linhof with Credo 60).

I've been looking at mirrorless options and while I've always been allergic to the Sony ergonomics and menus, it seems the A7Riv has gone a long was to rectifying some of these aversions for me.

At the moment I like the look of the Panasonic S1R (The Leica SL2 is more up my alley, but dreams are free...) and the Sony.

I have a question however as to what the best FE lenses are. It's quite hard to get good information on the net. If I'm going to go for this many MP in a 35mm system I want to know I can actually make use of them. Therefore, my priority is for best optical performance to the corners. Must have AF. I'm not too concerned about size or max aperture, although f2 or faster is preferred.

I'm only interested in 24/28mm, 35mm and 50mm, with 35mm being the priority.

Not sure if the new zooms are any good on the high pixel density sensors?

Thanks and any advise on the system appreciated. I'm just dipping my toes at this point but it's good to go in to a purchase well informed.

T

algrove

Like you, but my allergy has abated. Once settled on a menu setup I try not to touch it. 2 weeks into this cam I like the Zeiss Batis for AF lenses. They give the same aesthetic.
I will probably settle on the Batis 25,40,85 for street. Your requirements most certainly differ. The Zony 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 are very small (my copies are great) if small is a requirement. I will keep these Zony for unobtrusive work.

I made these choices over the G and GM lenses mainly based on size and weight. BTW, camerasize.com is helpful in this regard.

tjv

Thanks for your reply!

I've found a little bit about the Batis lenses but not much in the way of how they perform against the new offerings from Sony-Zeiss, or G-Master lenses.

The little 35mm f2.8 looks good, despite the slow aperture. Tiny!

If I go this way I want to make sure the lenses are actually up to resolving what the sensor offers. If they can, then it's a viable alternative to much of the work I would usually just do with my Linhof and Credo back.

And in terms of PC lenses, is adapting Canon lenses pretty much the only game in town at this point? Are there any PC lenses on the cards for the native FE mount?