The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart Contax G TA-GA3 issues

hmzppz

I am not sure if anyone is still using Techart Contax G adapters, as I couldn't find any recent posts almost anywhere on the web. I know they are quirky, but still wanted to check if the problems that I am having are specific to my copy or are known bugs.

As soon as I got the adapter I successfully updated to the latest version of the firmware (2.20) with the Techart iOS app. The adapter mostly works fine on my A7II but here are my issues.

1) Contax G 35: problems with the lens recognition. When the battery is fresh (100%) the adapter correctly identifies it, but as soon as the percentage drops a bit (say 87%) it starts to mix it up with Contax G 28. Sometimes it corrects back to G 35, but after going to sleep or after turning the camera off and on again, the adapter thinks that the attached lens is G 28. I tried to unmount the lens and/or the adapter, and sometimes (but not always) this corrects the issue, but only to revert back to G 28 after going to sleep.

No problems like that with my G 45 and G 90 lenses. Also, not such problems with G 35 on version 2 of the Techart adapter TA-GE1B.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.

2) F/ functions. Shooting with the adapter at F25, theoretically, should put it in all-time manual mode. That's how it works on my TA-GE1B adapter, and should also work on TA-GA3 according to operating instructions that I found on the web. However, shooting at F25 does nothing. Also, supposedly shooting at apertures F29-F81 should micro adjust the focusing, but it doesn't seem to do anything (it does on my copy of TA-GE1B).

Can anyone confirm?

3) Contrast AF. This works terribly on A7II and most of the time cannot even lock the focus. (but this works wonderfully on TA-GE1B). Phase detect AF works fine actually, but it is limited to a rather small area on A7II, so I tried switching to Contrast AF outside that area, but the results are terrible. Still, manual focusing works.

4) Focusing with G 90. It the lens is initially focused on a close object and I try to focus on a farther object, the AF does nothing, it seems. But if I prefocus a bit with the manual wheel, then AF can finish the job just fine.

Is this the typical behavior?

Thanks for any insights you could share.