The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A9 at 840mm

stngoldberg

Sony A9 behind 200-600mm zoom with 1.4 tele extender. Some so called experts appear on YouTube and are critical of this lens with an extender on this camera, but I think the resolution and color are quite good and comparable with the Nikon D850 with the 500mm F4 with 1.4 extender
Stanley

Attachments

iiiNelson

Sony A9 behind 200-600mm zoom with 1.4 tele extender. Some so called experts appear on YouTube and are critical of this lens with an extender on this camera, but I think the resolution and color are quite good and comparable with the Nikon D850 with the 500mm F4 with 1.4 extender
Stanley
I believe some of them are jaded because they were comparing it to the 600/4 that was released alongside it. In that light I can understand the “let down” but I’ve always thought that this was an excellent lens. About my only “complaint” is that they didn’t stick to a constant f/5.6 aperture throughout the range.

stngoldberg

I believe some of them are jaded because they were comparing it to the 600/4 that was released alongside it. In that light I can understand the “let down” but I’ve always thought that this was an excellent lens. About my only “complaint” is that they didn’t stick to a constant f/5.6 aperture throughout the range.
I agree with your comment regarding the aperture; nevertheless, look at the bokeh the lens provides at 9.0 (because I had an extender attached). I find the lens sharper than the Sony 100-400mm
lens without an extender.
Stanley

iiiNelson

I agree with your comment regarding the aperture; nevertheless, look at the bokeh the lens provides at 9.0 (because I had an extender attached). I find the lens sharper than the Sony 100-400mm
lens without an extender.
Stanley
Yeah I agree that optically they’re close enough the decision will come down to h th e focal length. The 100-400 focuses a bit faster and may be a tad sharper... but I find them to be extremely close in performance. To get a noticeable jump in quality I think one has to go to the 400 or 600 prime lenses that’ll run you about 12x the price.

stngoldberg

Busy today..I did manage a few minutes for these two beauties
Stanley
I know I spelled “snowy” incorrectly

Uaiomex

Stanley
Simply stunning.