The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Zoom lens for Mirex on A7Riii

kinglang

Hi all. I am looking for the best zoom lens (35~70must include) for Mirex adapter on A7RIII,I now have a PENTAX 45-85, missing 35MM, I don't want to use 2 lenses.Large imaging circle, sharp corners.

kinglang

Thanks BL.I need a lens cover 35~70mm zoom lens. If someone know about Leica R35-70 F4 ROM lens fit to shift? Sigma Art 24-70 alos want to know.

Audii-Dudii

Thanks BL.I need a lens cover 35~70mm zoom lens. If someone know about Leica R35-70 F4 ROM lens fit to shift? Sigma Art 24-70 alos want to know.
I didn't respond earlier because I don't have much experience with medium-format lenses and especially not zoom lenses.

But if you're going to consider using 35 mm format lenses, then you absolutely should consider the Contax 35-70/f3.4 as well.

They can be purchased relatively inexpensively and a good copy -- Yes, there is some sample to sample variation, if only because of the age of these lenses today -- will perform surprisingly well.

Assuming you have a Canon EF version of the Mirex adapter, all you need to do is add an inexpensive EF to C/Y adapter and you're good to go!

Although the image circle this lens projects doesn't allow for a large amount of rise / fall / shift movement at 35 mm / f8 / focused at ~150', this will increase fairly quickly as the focal lengths get longer.

Personally, I find it's usually enough to allow for modest keystone correction and/or cropping in-camera, and by 50-60 mm, it will have grown to allow for 12-15 mm, depending upon the composition and your pickiness.

Mine is probably my most used lens these days and as I photograph a lot of scenes that include architecture (i.e., urban and suburban street and alley scenes, usually late at night), I use rise / fall movements with every photo and rarely does it fail to provide enough of range for my purposes.

That said, I don't think I would use it as shift lens for stitching panos, because I've found that medium-format lenses generally do work better for that.

Oh, I should also point out the 35-70 is a one-touch zoom (i.e., has a shared focus / zoom ring), which seems to bug a lot of people, but not me, and it also works very, vert well for the IR photography I do, too.

Do check it out!

P.S.: I have no experience with the Sigma Art 24-70 zoom, but I do have quite a bit of experience with their 24-35/f2 zoom and similar to the C/Y 35-70/f3.4, I found its image circle large to be large enough to provide enough range of movement for my purposes. Ditto for the other Sigma Art lenses I used (except for the 20mm, which has a permanently attached lens hood and this also serves to restrict the size of the image circle it projects such that it allows for zero movements ... Yes, zero! But I understand Sigma now offers to remove the lens hoods on its lenses for a fee, so it's possible a hoodless version of this lens will work very well...)

kinglang

Thanks Audii-Dudii,I have seen your comment about CY35-70.I just do n’t like lenses with push-pull zoom lens,Worry about its mechanical quality. Is there a better option? I would like to ask how about Leica R 35-70 f4? Also question about the Canon 24-70 III or sigma Art lens image circle.

Audii-Dudii

Thanks Audii-Dudii,I have seen your comment about CY35-70.I just do n’t like lenses with push-pull zoom lens,Worry about its mechanical quality. Is there a better option? I would like to ask how about Leica R 35-70 f4? Also question about the Canon 24-70 III or sigma Art lens image circle.
I have zero experience with any of those lenses, so have no advice to offer ... sorry!

JoelM

I use Canon EF 24-70 f4 L lens. It is excellent across the frame and is far superior to the Sony f4 lens. As for the CY lens, I've used it through the years and it is very good, but with the higher resolution cameras, the Canon will be a better choice. Push/pull has never bothered me, but that might be a personal preference.

Joel

Audii-Dudii

I use Canon EF 24-70 f4 L lens. It is excellent across the frame and is far superior to the Sony f4 lens.
That's all well and good, but how large of an image circle does it project? There is no shortage of very good to great lenses to choose from, but not all of these lenses are also suitable for use as shift lenses on cameras having 24x36 sensors.

As for the CY lens, I've used it through the years and it is very good, but with the higher resolution cameras, the Canon will be a better choice.
Again, the advantage of the C/Y 35-70 for this purpose isn't that provides ultimate image quality, but that it provides very good to very, very good image quality and combines that with a generous image circle that's large enough to provide for a wide range of in-camera movements.

Unfortunately, using 35 mm format lenses as shift lenses with cameras having 24x36 sensors is a very tiny market niche and there isn't much information around about which lenses work well for this purpose.

As a result, buying them and trying them is often the only option available. <shrug>