Site Sponsors

Thread: rediscovering the Canon FD 85/1.2

Post Thanks / Like

rediscovering the Canon FD 85/1.2

I have never upgraded my A7R mk1 for the simple reason it is my backup cam (hardly ever use it) and I only use Loxia 21 + 50, thus, no (bad) autofocus to worry about.

I kept my Canon FD lenses from the eighties and thought I give it a go with the iconic 85/1.2. I bought a Novoflex adapter and I tried it out tonight.
    I'm actually pretty pleased, not bad at all! I have only shot boring testshots, but I will post images here later when I have 'real' ones to show with the Canon lens.

Loads of character wide open and impressively sharp in the corners @ f8. So, I can definitely see this a legit option for serious landscapes @ f8.

Alpa 12 Plus TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rediscovering the Canon FD 85/1.2

Great fun! I have been out for a walk and have a few images to show.
    All tripodshots with careful focusing, but it is quite easy really. Obviously testing f1.2

Alpa 12 Plus TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

In Sweden (guess the same all over) the Sony A7R mk1 is commercially dead and you can buy one for 500-600. The Canon FD 85/1.2 you see once in a while and they go for 550-700. Novoflex adapter 100. That's lots of possibilities and character in your images for a reasonable amount of money.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Boat moving slowly but I could nail the razorthin focuspoint anyway.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it pretty remarkable how an eighties speciality lens can hold up with a 36mp sensor?

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

But can it hold it to the corners if we want to? The answer is YES. Pretty darn good @ f8.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

It is a wonderful lens, I used to have one back in the 90s. The thing to look out for is point light sources in the corners. They will have no resemblance to round at all as they suffer from severe coma. Besides that, it is a really nice piece of glass.

I have a 20-35 f3.5L FD lens. It doesn't quite hold up to the 42mp sensor, but I now use it with my A7r(m) 36mp and it is much better.

Joel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems you're having a very good time with that lens. Isn't it great to be able to use these modern 35 mm digital backs with older glass, for me that was probably the most important reason to get hooked on mirrorless.

Very nice series and I wouldn't mind seeing more

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: rediscovering the Canon FD 85/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    It seems you're having a very good time with that lens. Isn't it great to be able to use these modern 35 mm digital backs with older glass, for me that was probably the most important reason to get hooked on mirrorless.

Very nice series and I wouldn't mind seeing more
    PLUS 1!!!
    Dave