The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

rediscovering the Canon FD 85/1.2

danlindberg

I have never upgraded my A7R mk1 for the simple reason it is my backup cam (hardly ever use it) and I only use Loxia 21 + 50, thus, no (bad) autofocus to worry about.

I kept my Canon FD lenses from the eighties and thought I give it a go with the iconic 85/1.2. I bought a Novoflex adapter and I tried it out tonight.
I'm actually pretty pleased, not bad at all! I have only shot boring testshots, but I will post images here later when I have 'real' ones to show with the Canon lens.

Loads of character wide open and impressively sharp in the corners @ f8. So, I can definitely see this a legit option for serious landscapes @ f8.

danlindberg

Great fun! I have been out for a walk and have a few images to show.
All tripodshots with careful focusing, but it is quite easy really. Obviously testing f1.2 :cool:

danlindberg

In Sweden (guess the same all over) the Sony A7R mk1 is commercially dead and you can buy one for €500-600. The Canon FD 85/1.2 you see once in a while and they go for €550-700. Novoflex adapter €100. That's lots of possibilities and character in your images for a reasonable amount of money.

JoelM

It is a wonderful lens, I used to have one back in the 90s. The thing to look out for is point light sources in the corners. They will have no resemblance to round at all as they suffer from severe coma. Besides that, it is a really nice piece of glass.

I have a 20-35 f3.5L FD lens. It doesn't quite hold up to the 42mp sensor, but I now use it with my A7r(m) 36mp and it is much better.

Joel

pegelli

It seems you're having a very good time with that lens. Isn't it great to be able to use these modern 35 mm digital backs with older glass, for me that was probably the most important reason to get hooked on mirrorless.

Very nice series and I wouldn't mind seeing more :thumbup:

gurtch

It seems you're having a very good time with that lens. Isn't it great to be able to use these modern 35 mm digital backs with older glass, for me that was probably the most important reason to get hooked on mirrorless.

Very nice series and I wouldn't mind seeing more :thumbup:
PLUS 1!!!
Dave