The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z7 to Sony A7r4

jdphoto

JD,

My advice is GO AHEAD AND GET THE SONY, AND SELL THE NIKON... Just tag me first on all your Nikon gear!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Hi Jack,
Of course, but it's not so easy letting this Z7 go...yet. I did handle a Sony A7R4 and liked it. It wasn't much different than the Z. I'm confident that any new pro Z would include the features that imo, are missing from the Z7 camera. But, so far the Z series have been the best digital cameras i've used and that includes MFD too. I'm a hybrid shooter in that I incorporate film in my workflow, so I could use the film cameras as a backup if needed.

tcdeveau

I've had similar thoughts. I do love the Z6 and it's ergonomics/feel are perfect for me, but my only issues are lack of native 1.4 lenses and focus tracking. Focus tracking is good, not great, and I get more out of focus shots than I feel like I should. Maybe it's user error and maybe my subject matter is too fast (my toddler rarely sits still and is super fast).

I despise the Sony menu system and don't care for the ergonomics (I've owned both the A7R and A7RII), but have toyed with the idea of getting another if it would give better AF tracking. I also discovered recently I qualify for a hefty EDU discount on Sony gear, which I do not on Nikon. I may rent an A9II or A7RIV and 85mm 1.4 in the near future and see how it performs.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack,
Of course, but it's not so easy letting this Z7 go...yet. I did handle a Sony A7R4 and liked it. It wasn't much different than the Z.
Well, you're young and can probably adapt to most anything. Us old farts find dealing with change tougher :ROTFL:
Life is short, so my advice is get the gear you want to use today, today, and sell off the stuff it replaces. And I absolutely understand you not wanting to let go of the Z7 just yet ;)

Thorkil

Hi Jack,
Of course, but it's not so easy letting this Z7 go...yet. I did handle a Sony A7R4 and liked it. It wasn't much different than the Z. I'm confident that any new pro Z would include the features that imo, are missing from the Z7 camera. But, so far the Z series have been the best digital cameras i've used and that includes MFD too. I'm a hybrid shooter in that I incorporate film in my workflow, so I could use the film cameras as a backup if needed.
you might bring you in a risk of regretting JD ...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Seriously, to me they are all just tools. In the case of Sony vs Nikon vs Fuji vs Canon vs Leica, it's all about how the tool feels in my hands. Granted there are nuances to their output that may be unique, but IME they are so insignificant your typical client doesn't notice them, let alone care. As photographers, of course we can argue about those kinds of minutia, couple them with handling, rare-earth features and of course accessory availability*, and make justification for brand X over brand Y. But none of that will make an image from one better than an image from the other -- that's all driven by the one who wields the tool...

*I leave lens availability off the list because it is essentially a non-issue now for mirrorless bodies. It is indeed a great time to be a photographer as you can pretty much choose and use whatever body you want with whatever lenses you want, included medium format :)