The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 RIV- remote focusing? Tethering?

alharding

I've had the A7RIV since it came out and the results have impressed me so far. I have noticed however, a few shortcomings. My main complaint is tethering.. It isn't a fully supported feature. It works with imaging edge but you require three programs to be open and switch between them. I use capture one, but in this program you have to use a USB to Mini USB cable as opposed to a USB C cable to use live view and remote focusing simply isn't available in either situation. Pixel shift isn't supported here so you need another program for that. I get that, but its clunky.. To me, at the very least, it seems as if remote focusing should be possible. I'm hoping this would eventually be updated, but no word,, It just seems that these things could be rectified, but I haven't heard anything. Has anyone else?

Many Thanks and Best,

Al

vjbelle

I share your frustrations. There is no focusing in C1 with the Sony. I was, however, able to tether the camera with USB C to C and have live view.

From everything I have learned this is more a Sony issue than C1 as it's up to Sony to provide C1 with the command sets necessary to enable focusing. Same issues exist with the GFX.

Victor

alharding

I share your frustrations. There is no focusing in C1 with the Sony. I was, however, able to tether the camera with USB C to C and have live view.

From everything I have learned this is more a Sony issue than C1 as it's up to Sony to provide C1 with the command sets necessary to enable focusing. Same issues exist with the GFX.

Victor
Thanks Victor. So frustrating! I'm sure its possible, just not done for some odd reason..

bdp

I have an A7r3 and also share the frustration of no remote focussing when using live video in C1. However I have the RMT-P1BT bluetooth remote on order and when this arrives I am hoping it will be a solution. I have watched a few Youtube videos that show it stepping through the focus in quite small increments when in manual focus. I also contacted Sony support about the A7r4 not being able to do live video through USB3 and they seemed to suggest that might be changed in a firmware update. I also suggested they include the ability to focus remotely when tethered in the SDK so third parties like C1 can use it.

Victor - which camera are you using when you say you can tether and use live view with USB3? Both work for me with the A7r3 with just one USB3 cable, but the notes on C1's website suggest live video on the A7r4 will only work with a USB2 cable, whereas tethering requires a USB3.

Pradeep

I've successfully used the a7r4 for slide digitization. I set up the macro lens with a light source in front, put the slide into the holder and use Imaging Edge to focus and do all the other adjustments on my computer. Focus actually is more precise using AF than manually and is very fast. You can move the focus point anywhere you want and use it. This gives you a live-view approach.

Not sure what else is required.You can also specify which external editor you want the image to be opened with. On my system, I am using a USB-C to USB-C cable. I don't use C-1 so not sure of the capabilities there, but LR works fine.

bdp

I mostly shoot food, so it's very close work and the focus point usually needs to be very slighty tweaked a few millimeters forward or backwards to get the point of focus just right. When I shoot with my Hasselblad, the focussing during live view is a joy to adjust, just a click with a + or - button while zoomed in to 100% and it can be fine tuned to perfection.

If I can't use the Hasselblad because it breaks down and is back in Sweden in hospital (happens far too often!) I use the Sony and Capture One. Image quality is remarkably similar, but workflow-wise I really miss the ability to zoom in and focus from the computer. I have to jump up on a ladder and squint at the tiny screen on the back of the camera to zoom in and manually focus.

If the bluetooth remote gives me the ability to tweak the focus in tiny steps it will make the Sony workflow very similar to the Hasselblad.

I haven't used Imaging Edge in ages but I remember it being a very clunky and basic piece of software, but if it can move the focus manually in small steps forward or backward that would be an advantage.

Ben

vjbelle

Ben... I am using a 7RM4 and connect USB C both ends to a MacBook Pro and C1 recognizes the camera and live view is available.

Victor

bdp

Ben... I am using a 7RM4 and connect USB C both ends to a MacBook Pro and C1 recognizes the camera and live view is available.

Victor
Hi Victor, thanks, that's great to hear! I have been holding off upgrading to the A7r4 because of the notes on this page:

https://www.captureone.com/en/features/supported-cameras?c=sony

It says in the notes: "Live view only supported with USB2 cable" :confused:

Looks like Phase One needs to update their advice...

vjbelle

Ha..... the manual for the 7RM4 has other untruths..... They talk about adjustable delays between shots when using pixel shift so that when using flash there is enough time for complete recycling. Kind of tuff to use flash during pixel shift as the camera uses 'Only' the ES for that function and the ES does not sync with flash.

I just gloss over this kind of stuff which is obviously something overlooked by the designer geeks.

I enjoy the camera and its marriage to my Actus which allows me to have lots of movements with my LF lenses. It's the perfect compliment to my Phase 4150 and used many times instead of......

Cheers....

Victor B

bdp

An update:

I received the RMT-P1BT bluetooth remote this week and I can confirm you can adjust focus in very fine steps when the camera is in manual focus. With the A7r3 at least.

Coupled with the Focus Magnifier function programmed to custom button 1, this allows zooming in during live view in Capture One, and then focussing remotely. The only downside is you can't move around the image once zoomed in, but it's a lot better than having to go to the camera to adjust focus.

Ben

mota25

Good that I saw this thread. I have been try to tether my Sony A7rIV to CaptureOne. Earlier LV never worked when I was using USB-C cable. After upgrading camera firmware to the latest version (1.1 I guess), LV works but still no AF from CaptureOne. I want to take overhead shots of food. It is ridiculous all these professional cameras and some basics still don't work as intended. None of the reviewers mention any of these things.

bdp

I recommend you try the bluetooth remote. It's a good solution, who know if/when Sony will change their SDK to allow Capture One to focus from the software, and even then, it may not be implemented by Phase One.

The remote has a C1 button on it, so I made my C1 button the focus magnifier, so during live view I can now use the remote to zoom in and adjust the focus in tiny steps. The only limitation is that after you are zoomed in you can't move around the image to check other areas.

Ben