The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ethical question for professional wedding photogs

Saxbike

I know many of you on this forum have extensive experience as professional photographers who shoot weddings. I have a question that has arisen from my daughter's wedding and the output that we have received from the pro that she hired to shoot the wedding. Evidently this photographer had a digital camera that failed and did not have a backup. The photographer was also shooting a limited amount of film that resulted in some images. Bottomline—she received 70 shots, 36 of which are the backside of her head. Only a handful of shots (maybe six or seven) are what I would expect from a professional. Of course there is no option to reshoot, but my question has to do with the photographer's fee. Should my daughter be expected to pay the full contracted amount? Or what percentage would be fair? It is very disappointing to see such poor results, and I cannot believe that the photographer went on a job without adequate backup. I'm not a professional, but I always have a second body nearby when I am out shooting. If this question is in the wrong forum, I apologize, but I have great respect for the professionals who contribute in this space. A big thank you. Henry

My expectation would be that the photographer would volunteer to refund fully. If they don't do that, it is certainly reasonable that your daughter pay -at most- a greatly reduced fee.

PS
You might want to pose this question over at Fred Miranda too - great community there, with deep experience.