The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is Sony not producing enough lenses?

edwardkaraa

Or did they underestimate the market demand? Just a quick look at BH website, most of the good lenses are back-ordered: 24-70, 16-35, 50 macro, 50, 70-300, 70-400. Here in Bangkok I was lucky to get (almost by force :D) one of the only 2 copies of the 16-35 they received. No new pro lenses announced. No update to their software. Are they in trouble? :bugeyes:

jonoslack

Interesting Edward
Don't you think the holdup might have been more to do with the renewal of the agreement with Zeiss.
Mind you, the A700 must be very overdue for replacement, and there hasn't been a peep about another new dSLR since the A900.
I think all the Japanese electrical companies are 'in trouble'.

On the other hand, I've got enough lenses for my purposes with the A900, so I'm not complaining.

DavidL

Or did they underestimate the market demand? Just a quick look at BH website, most of the good lenses are back-ordered: 24-70, 16-35, 50 macro, 50, 70-300, 70-400. Here in Bangkok I was lucky to get (almost by force :D) one of the only 2 copies of the 16-35 they received. No new pro lenses announced. No update to their software. Are they in trouble? :bugeyes:
I think the main reason is Japan are in partial shut down mode. Panic stations seem to be making them think no one wants to buy. In fact it's not only Japan. I was talking to a main UK Harley Davidson dealer a couple of nights ago, he just can't get the bikes from the USA to sell. He's got the customers with the money but can't get the bikes. Says it could kill his business. Heard the same from my main Camera dealer who is having trouble with most companies. I also hear around the UK a lot of stock cabinets aren't too full.
I tried in vain to get a Nikon 14-24 before the prices went up but couldn't, friend had to wait ages for a 12-24 and so it goes on.
david

edwardkaraa

Hi David,

You're probably right, but this is exactly what they shouldn't do. They couldn't possibly get out of the crisis by NOT producing goods. Sony in particular has a lot to do in the lens department. I would understand that companies like Canikon would take it easy for a while knowing that they have it all covered but Sony has a very basic lens line up and needs to be expanded massively not only to be taken seriously by pros, but also to fill the needs of existing clients. I for instance was quite confident when I switched over that lenses will be coming at a fast pace, especially with the leaked photos and rumours about 2 new Zeiss primes and other Sony stuff. I had to buy 2 lenses (100 macro and 70300G) that were not exactly what I wanted for the lack of other choices.

edwardkaraa

What I find curious is that Sony does not seem to be consistent in its lens introductions. For instance, they offer a very limited selection of amateur wide primes all limited to f/2.8 except the 35/1.4 G which is not stellar either. There are no telephoto primes except the very expensive 300/2.8 but in the same time, they offer the 70-200, 70-300, 70-400 and 75-300. Their lens line up doesn't make any sens to me.

Of course, I would be willing to buy any future Zeiss lens they introduce, but the following is needed:

Luminous wide angle prime in the 24-28 region probably f/1.4.
Decent macro lens in the 100 to 180 range.
Luminous 200mm prime at around f/2-2.4
Cheaper 300mm option at probably f/4.
T/S series.

Last edited:

fotografz

They've never been fast. And neither has Zeiss. Especially Zeiss. It took ages before more lenses were available for the Contax 645 ... and the N series 35mm Contax optics launch cycle was even worse. Forever and a few days.

Sony inherited the Minolta user base ... which wasn't buying all the exotic lenses. They probably have exploited that base with the Alpha crop frames cameras and are entering a new market ... probably cautiously. I'm sure a commitment to Zeiss to make some lenses like being asked for here has to be a risky business decision in the middle of a thinly veiled depression.

I'm fine with what I now have. I covers my needs. The few non Zeiss lenses I do have are stellar IMO. I'd like a fast WA like a 28/2 or 35/1.4 ... but after using the 16-35/2.8, I'm not even sure about that.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I moved from Canon to Sony for my wildlife work and when I don't want to lug my MF gear, primarily because of the 24-70 Zeiss lens. The 300 2.8 G and the 70-400 G justify my move (ironic as neither is Zeiss!) - but I what need is a 600 mm f4.....right now!

Bill

douglasf13

I've heard that the Minolta 600 f4 is great, but I've never used it. You may consider gettng one of those until a Sony version comes. Rumor has it that the new tele prototype they're showing is a 500 f4.5

edwardkaraa

They've never been fast. And neither has Zeiss. Especially Zeiss. It took ages before more lenses were available for the Contax 645 ... and the N series 35mm Contax optics launch cycle was even worse. Forever and a few days.
Absolutely, but I remember that time Kyocera was blamed for the delay and its lack of committment. Although Zeiss could also be slow.

Sony inherited the Minolta user base ... which wasn't buying all the exotic lenses. They probably have exploited that base with the Alpha crop frames cameras and are entering a new market ... probably cautiously. I'm sure a commitment to Zeiss to make some lenses like being asked for here has to be a risky business decision in the middle of a thinly veiled depression.
Exactly, but because of this, Minolta users do not buy Sony glass as they are attached to their Minolta glass that they consider somehow better. They will eventually though if Sony develops new glass instead of copying old designs. Sony's most selling designs seem to be the Zeiss as outside of Minolta's aficionados, a large part of Sony adopters came from a Zeiss background (like you and myself ;)) or because of Zeiss glass. It would be smart from Sony to keep on introducing new Zeiss glass instead of the G stuff they have been recently releasing. Also it should be noted that Zeiss aficionados usually are financially healthy and willing to pay for the good quality.

I'm fine with what I now have. I covers my needs. The few non Zeiss lenses I do have are stellar IMO. I'd like a fast WA like a 28/2 or 35/1.4 ... but after using the 16-35/2.8, I'm not even sure about that.
I happen not to like the non Zeiss lenses I have, not because they're not good, but because of the completely different look, character, color, contrast, you name it. They will be replaced by Zeiss equivalents whenever it will be available. I'm also refraining from buying any new glass eventhough I do still need quite a few lenses, and some of what I need is not even available in Sony version anyway. I guess it's a waiting game :)