Site Sponsors

Thread: What the young do with an A300

Post Thanks / Like

What the young do with an A300

From a student in the UK. using A300 and 8200 shot frame animation. It was work in progress but he was told it was so good he wouldn't get higher marks by adding to it. Modern education methods no doubt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd9eXTHfB4

He's just been nominated for a "Yellow Pencil" award for Graphic Design, Student category. This is a prestigious world wide award. Not for this but for a graphic design project he did.

Oh to be young and creative again. Well young would do

I like how the music fits, although I don't really follow this type of music so I don't know if it's Garage, Hip Hop, Drum and Base, etc.
    "I scream for crow" is as modern as I get.
    david

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What the young do with an A300

Don't know aow I posted two. Maybe senior mind / mouse movement. If anyone can delete one please do.
    david

ddk

It must be my age but I don't get what's special about such a boring piece of animation. I painfully watched the whole clip for something to happen but nothing did, besides some dude chugging beer the entire time. The stop motion animation just made me nauseous, can you tell me what you found so great about this piece to subject the rest of us to it? :sleep006:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    can you tell me what you found so great about this piece to subject the rest of us to it?
    Are you speaking for everyone here, or just yourself? It is hard to tell from your sentence.

I liked it. It wasn't great, but good, and it was an interesting way to do a movie. I think you missed the part about him missing the girl he shared a few moments with near the beginning. Unrequited love.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we are so used to seeing videos that we don't think about what effort this took. Getting all of those camera angles to hold together for the "animation" had to be difficult. Also, think about how many frames per second we are talking about in movies. This video was 6 minutes long!

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Are you speaking for everyone here, or just yourself? It is hard to tell from your sentence.
    For myself of course.

I liked it. It wasn't great, but good, and it was an interesting way to do a movie.
    Maybe not with a Sony A300 but stop frame animation is nothing new, its been around forever so I don't see the novelty factor either.

I think you missed the part about him missing the girl he shared a few moments with near the beginning. Unrequited love.
    No I didn't, that made it even more of a cliche, get dumped, get drunk, how original. :sleep006:

As I said, it must be an age thing to actually want/expect some quality or originality for content (edited/added for clarification) if something receives a so called prestigious award.
    Last edited by ddk; 10th May 2009 at 07:00.

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I think we are so used to seeing videos that we don't think about what effort this took. Getting all of those camera angles to hold together for the "animation" had to be difficult. Also, think about how many frames per second we are talking about in movies. This video was 6 minutes long!
    Did you like it?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did you like it?
    Were you supposed to?

Just this guy you know

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Were you supposed to?
    LOL Jono, don't tell me you're going all esoteric and zen. Don't you think that content should have some value for an award?

(Edit) Having thought more about it, no you don't have.
    Last edited by ddk; 10th May 2009 at 07:25.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would have liked it better if he drove on the right side of the road
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I would have liked it better if he drove on the right side of the road
    Yeah and I bet it took a long time to relocate the steering wheel!
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought it might be of interest. If you hadn't known it was shot on a still camera, when would you have known? Probably on one of the sequences you noticed they were on the right side of the road
    The Stones did one of their videos like this way back when, and it was much better and cost a fortune.
    Relocating the steering wheel would be easy it would be putting 8200 shots together that would be my problem
    The story is about a guy that's dead and trying to get in contact and can't. Tibetan book of the dead thing in my head. Stuck in a bardo, but Hey! aren't we all.
    Anyway it has caused a bit of a debate so that's good.
    As I said I was surprised the photographer overseeing the project, who is quite established here in the UK, said there was no point in improving it as it wouldn't improve the already high grade being awarded to the project. However, casting my mind back to when I lectured, part time, in photography. One of my initial problems was I got too involved in the technique and quality of images and didn't look into the ideas development. It was OK when teaching photography but when dealing with art and graphics students the ideas and their development were what the college were interested in.
    David

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL Jono, don't tell me you're going all esoteric and zen. Don't you think that content should have some value for an award?

(Edit) Having thought more about it, no you don't have.
    David you have just equated enjoyment with value - which seems pretty esoteric to me!

IMHO there are lots of things with value which aren't enjoyable - I'm not sure that the opposite is quite as clear cut

Just this guy you know

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    David you have just equated enjoyment with value - which seems pretty esoteric to me!

IMHO there are lots of things with value which aren't enjoyable - I'm not sure that the opposite is quite as clear cut
    I agree with you, that's why added the edit, just don't see any value here for any kind award. I guess its the cynic in me that rises when I see mediocrity elevated to something more than what it is, something that I see happening all over and don't like.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    It was work in progress but he was told it was so good he wouldn't get higher marks by adding to it. Modern education methods no doubt.
    I hope that was a teacher's tactful way of saying, "That's enough, already."

I'm sure that if he had shot it with an A900, it would have been better, and if he had used a Zeiss lens, it would have been a masterpiece >;-)

Hoang

It must be my age but I don't get what's special about such a boring piece of animation. I painfully watched the whole clip for something to happen but nothing did, besides some dude chugging beer the entire time. The stop motion animation just made me nauseous, can you tell me what you found so great about this piece to subject the rest of us to it? :sleep006:
    I'm 19 and yet I also fail to see anything more than mediocre in that video, so it's not just your age . I closed it before it was close to ending because I didn't want to get a headache.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post

I'm sure that if he had shot it with an A900, it would have been better, and if he had used a Zeiss lens, it would have been a masterpiece >;-)
    At TV type resolution, a P&S could be used. Anything of this sort is down rez'ed to dinky sizes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post

Absolutley

Just this guy you know

nei1

Well I actually enjoyed it,I thought the last couple of minutes could easily be compared to Kubricks passage through a black hole,

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The important thing here is that the young person is exploring his creativity, not whether some of us like it or not. Better than sitting on his behind playing video games and the like.

This "stop action" technique is part of what I did for a living for a long time. Many TV commercials have to be tested prior to being actually filmed at a staggering expense. So, often 2 to 4 different commercial ideas will be tested with consumers to see which is most effective ... however, shooting them for real, or even on video tape is cost prohibitive.

The proposed test commercial can be done using what is called an "Animatic" ... basically a stop action "Cartoon" drawn version or animated "Storyboard" of the commercial, or as an "Rip-o-matic", where stock images or tear sheets are assembled and animated to convey an idea. Finally there is the "Photo-matic" where something similar to this video is employed to actually shoot the scene sequences. In my case, commercials that my staff and I created would be shot and animated ... also being a photographer, I shot many of them myself, dozens and dozens of them.

The series of stop action stills would then be animated on an Avid or similar type editing machine using specifically timed cross dissolves to simulate the impression of motion that is usually shot at 24 or 30 FPS on motion cameras. In reality only a few frames per second is needed to accomplish this. Usually under 100 frames max for a 30 second TV commercial.

My first attempts at it looked like this video ... Herky-Jerky and vomit inducing. Better story board planning, a locked down tripod and simulated motion control fixed the issue and led to great success ... at far less cost per test commercial (around 22K each verses 40K for video).

The difference between a Photomatic and a Video was also clear when client changes had to be made. Photoshop layered corrections on a couple still frames verses motion tracking corrections on 24 frames a second of video is a huge price difference ... like $100 per hour verses $800. per hour with less time needed.

Probably more than you all wanted to know ...

But I would LOVE to teach this to others ... because with home desktop editing like Final Cut, anyone could do it and it is a blast to alter the stills at will, then animate them ... something much harder to do with video.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see that I've been sitting on some kind of a fence here.
    I think it's great that so much effort has been put into something, and at the very lowest level that's lots of 'value'
    I guess lots was learned in the making, and perhaps we've all learned a little in the talking about.

Hooray!

and thank you Marc for your interesting post . . .

Just this guy you know

photographix

Reading the OP it would appear that this is a talented student that has been nominated for an award in regard of his work in the field of Graphic Design but that this video has nothing to do with that.

The video is clearly the result of an entirely different photographic brief of which we have no idea what the aims and criteria were. It may not have even specified a stop frame photomatic as the final product.

To be nominated for such an award in graphic design by judges that comprised of major global advertising and media consultants rather than academics indicates a final year University student. It would be unusual for any Graphic Design course at a British University to feature a photographic module as a final project so it is also clear that the graphic design student was invited to the final module of a photographic course overseen by an established photographer.

As a graphic designer it must be assumed that his photographic knowledge and expertise is basic and limited being only a secondary discipline that supported and supplemented his graphic design work. Also, that his invitation was at the last minute and only when he had satisfied all of his graphic design requirements so that no risk was involved from an academic perspective from venturing into new creativity at such a late point in time.

A brave effort that not many would have had the courage to undertake.

Looking at the video it must have seemed many times that the camera was about to explode as he pushed it to the limit.

However, a valid analogy to this thread would be to ask those that are only photographers to now step before the pottery wheel and present their first attempt at a pot to us for judgement of them as photographers whilst we pretended it was for an award rather than any of their photographs.

A brave effort I thought for someone daring to step outside the box.