Site Sponsors

Thread: A900: a few questions

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A900: a few questions

Greetings,

I did not have a chance to work with the alpha yet, and I am pondering about a couple of things. May be some of you can say something about it.

I
    How do you A900 owners find the IQ when shooting long exposures? Anything to complain about?

II
    The Zeiss 16-35 corner sharpness, does it need a postprocessing correction?

III
    A question about the RAW files. I expose to the right most of the time, then open shadows in Lightroom, eventually add blacks before as well. Is the data in shadows clean at ISO 100 once opened up?

IV
    I understand the system is somewhat weather sealed, is that true for the Zeiss lenses as well? Do you trust it to walk around in rain for longer?

A personal observation, from reading the specs, I wondered, it states these modes for exposure bracketing: 0.3 EV / 0.5 EV / 0.7 EV / 2.0 EV, the gap from 0.7 to 2.0 is quite large. <shrugs>

Thanks for looking at it.

Best wishes
    Georg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A900: a few questions

Re. IV, here is an interesting link (translated from Polish):

http://bit.ly/qCiBm

Re. personal observation, not only is the jump large, but 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 can use 5 shots, but 2.0 can only handle 3. This is one of my reservations about the camera.

I will add a question: the base ISO is listed on dpreview as ISO 200, but 100 isn't listed as an extended ISO... What does it mean? Does anyone know if ISO 100 or 200 gives better DR?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post

I will add a question: the base ISO is listed on dpreview as ISO 200, but 100 isn't listed as an extended ISO... What does it mean? Does anyone know if ISO 100 or 200 gives better DR?
    According to my own experience, ISO100 has a bit less DR but better shadow noise. I use ISO100 99% of the time, because I couldn't care less about DR, coming from a 5 stop reversal film latitude. Usually shots that require more than that are not esthetically worth it. Highest IQ is more important to me and it is delivered at ISO100. I always wonder why would some photographers take a shot under crappy lighting conditions, and spend hours trying to fix it in PP, instead of waiting a few hours on site, and take a much better shot when the light improves
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Georg, ISO 100 on the A900 is simply ISO 200 with a +1ev compensation. There isn't much reason to use it unless you're shooting JPEG. It appears less noisy because the A900 has very conservative metering, and most shooters could use the extra stop of exposure. That's why it appears to shift the DR from highlights to shadows. ISO 320 is the ideal setting for shadow detail, because the A900 shadows are usually a little blotchy due to the ADCs clipping, and adding a little preamp gain to them improves things.

Your biggest issue will be with Lightroom. Lightroom deals with cameras with good color separation poorly, and A900 is near MFDB in this regard. For some the issues are ok, but, judging by your questions, I have a feeling you won't be happy with the LR/A900 combo. I switched to C1 pro because of this.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Geor
    Most of your questions are too difficult for me

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Greetings,

I did not have a chance to work with the alpha yet, and I am pondering about a couple of things. May be some of you can say something about it.

I
    How do you A900 owners find the IQ when shooting long exposures? Anything to complain about?
    I haven't even tried (sorry)

II
    I chickened out on the purchase and I'm still using the sigma 12-24 for ultra wide.

III
    A question about the RAW files. I expose to the right most of the time, then open shadows in Lightroom, eventually add blacks before as well. Is the data in shadows clean at ISO 100 once opened up?
    Like Douglas says - I really don't think you should expect to use Lightroom or ACR with the A900 - maybe that's the deal breaker. I like lightroom (although I prefer Aperture), it's good for lots of cameras, but it doesn't seem to do at all well with the A900

IV
    I understand the system is somewhat weather sealed, is that true for the Zeiss lenses as well? Do you trust it to walk around in rain for longer?
    I'm beginning to trust it more and more - I haven't seen any nasty stories, and It's not suffered when I've shot in the rain.

A personal observation, from reading the specs, I wondered, it states these modes for exposure bracketing: 0.3 EV / 0.5 EV / 0.7 EV / 2.0 EV, the gap from 0.7 to 2.0 is quite large. <shrugs>
    Oh dear - I never use exposure bracketing with digital - I always feel that if I've got the time, then I've got the time to get the exposure right, and if I haven't . . . then I haven't !
    Certainly, getting good exposure with the A900 is no problem (getting 'best' exposure may be a little more so).

I love mine . . .

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Georg, ISO 100 on the A900 is simply ISO 200 with a +1ev compensation. There isn't much reason to use it unless you're shooting JPEG. It appears less noisy because the A900 has very conservative metering, and most shooters could use the extra stop of exposure. That's why it appears to shift the DR from highlights to shadows. ISO 320 is the ideal setting for shadow detail, because the A900 shadows are usually a little blotchy due to the ADCs clipping, and adding a little preamp gain to them improves things.

Your biggest issue will be with Lightroom. Lightroom deals with cameras with good color separation poorly, and A900 is near MFDB in this regard. For some the issues are ok, but, judging by your questions, I have a feeling you won't be happy with the LR/A900 combo. I switched to C1 pro because of this.
    I must agree with you, Douglas, ISO 320 has become my second choice when ever I can't use slower ISOs.

And I emphatically agree with you on LR - it just doesn't cut it for RAW conversion of Sony (or Phase) files. In fact, I've been going back to view some of my old 1Ds II files and they look better in C1 too. For me, C1 rules - I move into LR for some of its developing tools and its Web and Print modules, but basic developing is best in C1.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

II
    Depends what you mean by this, perspective correction is necessary at the wider angles for sure. What 16mm lens doesn't need it. Corners are soft @16mm until beyond f:/5.6. 35mm is good by f:/5.6.

Attached find some quick and dirty close up shots, 16mm at f:/2.8, 5.6 & 11
    and at 35mm at f:/2.8, 5.6 & 11.

You won't see much in web samples but it might give you a quick idea what to expect.

First 3 are at 16mm
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

These are at 35mm

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use the auto bracket function at all, so really can't comment other than I never looked into the ranges allowed. If correct 0.7 - 2.0 it seems rather excessive.

Base ISO is 200, Sony say ISO 100 will lead to a loss in DR, but I tend to shoot everything at 320 or 800 as needed. 1600 at a push with very acceptable results if I expose for the shadows rather than highlights which I recover in post.

With regard to weather sealing, if you have seen the post of the photographer who covered the paris-dakkar rally with an a900 and ZA 24-70 which received some abuse, I have no qualms about getting caught in a shower or using it in wet conditions. I wouldn't be out photographing in downpours in any case regardless of weather sealing or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Gentlemen, very usefull information!

I am somewhat torn between the Nikon and Sony. Fully aware about the premium price of the Nikon, it is diffcult to come to conclusions. Nikon offers a professional service NPS, I am not aware that Sony has such. Without the Zeiss Option, I would not even consider the Sony. Another downside for me is that there is no comparable T\S glass available Nikon has the 24mm, 45 and 85 T\S.

Then again, for the money spared when buying into a Sony, one can get nearly 2 more first class lenses.

Not easy.... not easy....

The 500mm, while not a top of the range performer and slow glas, certainly is a tempting offer for relatively little money for the Alpha.

Lightroom is not a problem, as I would do the basics in C1 and then transfer to LR as DNG.

It is amazing if you think about it, the Sony for reasonable money offers a whopping 25 MP walk around system. What a brilliant time to do photography.

@Eoin, thanks a lot for goingt hrough the trouble to post some examples. I am curious about your shooting technique, you expose for shadows? Why is that?

Would you not give up a lot of valuable image data which is held in the highlights, and not in the shadows. Would it not be better to expose to the right and open shadows via fill light afterwards?
    Last edited by Georg Baumann; 11th May 2009 at 04:17.

Post Thanks / Like

Georg, "fill light" sounds like you use Lightroom, I'm an Apple Aperture fanatic and I won't change . In general there seems to be enough dynamic range to hold both within the histogram. But in situations where I want clean shadows without noise I tend to expose for the shadow I want at exposure and recover the highlights if necessary. This, I have found to yield less blotch and noise.

But as they say, your milage may vary, raw developers are equal to yesterdays films in terms of a photographers individual preference. I use Aperture with a slew of plugins for 99.9% of what I need, something different may require a trip through C1 or Lightzone.

By the way Guys, lightzone 3.7 has added support for the a900, worth a look!.

Shelby Lewis

Thank you Gentlemen, very usefull information!

I am somewhat torn between the Nikon and Sony. Fully aware about the premium price of the Nikon, it is diffcult to come to conclusions. Nikon offers a professional service NPS, I am not aware that Sony has such. Without the Zeiss Option, I would not even consider the Sony. Another downside for me is that there is no comparable T\S glass available Nikon has the 24mm, 45 and 85 T\S.

Then again, for the money spared when buying into a Sony, one can get nearly 2 more first class lenses.

Not easy.... not easy....

The 500mm, while not a top of the range performer and slow glas, certainly is a tempting offer for relatively little money for the Alpha.

Lightroom is not a problem, as I would do the basics in C1 and then transfer to LR as DNG.

It is amazing if you think about it, the Sony for reasonable money offers a whopping 25 MP walk around system. What a brilliant time to do photography.

@Eoin, thanks a lot for goingt hrough the trouble to post some examples. I am curious about your shooting technique, you expose for shadows? Why is that?

Would you not give up a lot of valuable image data which is held in the highlights, and not in the shadows. Would it not be better to expose to the right and open shadows via fill light afterwards?
    Hey Georg,

I few opinions from someone new in the system.

First... the value. 'nuff said

As far as pro services. This is a valid concern. I was canon and really appreciated the CPS fast turnarounds and priority services. This is something that sony just doesn't offer... so you just need to weigh how important it is to you. Same with t/s lenses. I really could use one, but given the resolution you can get away with post-processed perspective correction, but it's still not the same. And visualizing a perspective corrected version in your mind (and the associated crop in post) isn't easy.

500mm... can't comment.

LR and ACR are not problematic at low iso or smaller reproduction. They just can't compete when you want maximal detail and maximal color accuracy (and "pleasantness"). Everything I've put up on this board has been ACR based... so it's not THAT bad as long as it's not super color critical. That said, I am definitely moving towards C1.

As far as exposing for shadows... i think you guys mean the same thing. With the color filter array on the sony, it is prone to shadow noise if underexposed, as well as the fact that it has great DR and highlight latitude. Much like medium format digital. Most of us are finding that maximizing the histogram to the right (but not blowing channels badly) and then bringing it back in post offers extremely satisfying results. I actually am using UniWB in combination with the intelligent preview feature to push histograms as far as I can to the right and finding the results extraordinary. VERY low noise and maximum color fidelity and accuracy.

Lastly... the camera is imminently hand-holdable. It's not a fluke. Sure, for maximal detail a tripod and stiff head are a plus... but I'm finding I don't need them most of the time, even at slower shutter speed. It really is amazing what the IS can do.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post

By the way Guys, lightzone 3.7 has added support for the a900, worth a look!.
    Hi Eoin,

Nice photo of the little one Your son?

I'm interested to know your opinion about Lightzone. I downloaded a trial version a while ago but there was no support yet for the A900.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a 17" X 22 Print from this weekend's wedding coming off the Epson 3800 as I type this.

I am so happy with this camera I could scream!

I judge anything and everything by print output. The color, detail, realism, 3D is all there without any effort ... using lightroom by the way ... I don't have time for slow software or using this and that. I've got 500+ images to correct, and 150 selects to nail down tight. These files are amazingly elastic and accept all kinds of treatment and manipulation without falling apart.

BTW, I pulled off a couple of shots at the wedding with the 135/1.8 @ 1/40th hand-held and it looks like it was shot on a tripod using a cable release ... and I am not kidding.

I likey!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Edward,

I used lightzone when I was using the M8 and before the silver efx Pro plugin was available for Aperture. I found it is rather unique in it's zone system and found it's output quite good for monochrome. I was never able to use it with the a900's raw file until now. You need to download version 3.7 which I believe was released last week.

The array of plugins for Aperture makes it an unnecessary step in my workflow but others who are struggling to find a converter to suit their needs may find it interesting or worth a look. Like I said earlier, the raw converters have become such a personal choice, it's just another tool that now supports the a900 if anyones interested.

Yes, it's my little one, shot with the ZA 85. Still having trouble mastering depth of focus. Guess I keep needing to remind myself I need a further 2 stops of aperture to compensate for full frame over APSC.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments, Eoin.

I think the DOF on the photo looks perfect, exactly the right amount.

I downloaded the 3.7 version, and it is really impressive. Too bad my old laptop is too slow for this converter, but I can already see the creative potential. I'm not sure about the demosaicing algorithms though. I have to convert a few files and scrutinize them (as in pixel peeping ).

Hi Edward,

I used lightzone when I was using the M8 and before the silver efx Pro plugin was available for Aperture. I found it is rather unique in it's zone system and found it's output quite good for monochrome. I was never able to use it with the a900's raw file until now. You need to download version 3.7 which I believe was released last week.

The array of plugins for Aperture makes it an unnecessary step in my workflow but others who are struggling to find a converter to suit their needs may find it interesting or worth a look. Like I said earlier, the raw converters have become such a personal choice, it's just another tool that now supports the a900 if anyones interested.

Yes, it's my little one, shot with the ZA 85. Still having trouble mastering depth of focus. Guess I keep needing to remind myself I need a further 2 stops of aperture to compensate for full frame over APSC.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll drive yourself crazy over this pixel peeping malarky. Mark is absolutely on the money, it's all in the printed output. A lot of these on screen imperfections transcend a printers ability on output, either that or I seriously need to consider retiring my aged Canon i9950 .

Tell me I don't need to drop another wad of cash on a new printer PLEASE!.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tell me I don't need to drop another wad of cash on a new printer PLEASE!.
    Eoin
    I've been thinking a lot about you and your workflow recently, and it's occurred to me that now is really the time to drop another wad of cash on a new printer

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I know I need to do my little bit to keep the economy going but I've just had a google at the Epson 3800......and at 900ish for the printer and 425 for a full set of replacement inks, I can't help but feel there is plenty of life left in the o'l canon yet .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I know I need to do my little bit to keep the economy going but I've just had a google at the Epson 3800......and at 900ish for the printer and 425 for a full set of replacement inks, I can't help but feel there is plenty of life left in the o'l canon yet .
    Well, the 3800 must be up for replacement any time soon . . . . I guess it's admission time here . . . I'm still using an Epson 4000, not much good for glossy paper, but I mostly print on matte anyway, and the dear old thing struggles on cranking out decent prints (for the last two years it's been coming up with an error message which means that it's dead, switch it off and then on again and it trundles on for a bit longer!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I am so happy with this camera I could scream!
    Shall we make it a duet

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Get the 3800 ... it'll be a revelation when you print the A900 files.

IMO, get the version with Color-Burst Rip software ... especially if you print a lot at one time. I load an entire wedding album's worth of images instantly, and go on with other work while the 3800 relentlessly churns them all out on it's own ... no sending images one at a time like I had to do with my R2400.

IThe 3800 is pretty efficient on ink use, so the cartridges last a long time.

If 13" X 19" is big enough for your applications, (or 13" X44" with roll paper) look at the Epson R1900 @ $450. ... an especially good printer if you shoot a lot of people images due to it's additional red and orange inks. Plus, there is something Epson calls "Radiance Technology" that reduces grain and provides smoother color transitions while assuring that colors stay consistent in virtually any viewing light. It is supposed to be maximized for higher resolution printing ... which would place it squarely in the sights of A900 users.

IMO, it is only when one is printing that you really see what this camera is capable of ... if it's only for web display, most of the camera's abilities are wasted and it's drawbacks are magnified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Get the 3800 ... it'll be a revelation when you print the A900 files. IMO, get the version with Color-Burst Rip software ...
    Yep, I can feel another ton of my cash will be spent soon, replacing my ageing R2400. There ought to be a health warning about 'expensive habit forming' with this forum
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well what do you expect 2 gear sluts own it.

This IS a dangerous forum.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty happy with the results of my Epson R2880 but I find the speed at which the ink goes and the price for replacements quite high.

Cheers, Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob
    Shop around on the internet for genuine Epson pigment ink replacements cartridges. In the UK 7 Day shop is a good starting place but even Amazon occasionally have them at half price. I usually buy in bulk quantities about twice a year.
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, it sure is, almost as expensive as that other place where we first 'met'! This forum is much more useful and educational though IMHO
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Bob
    Shop around on the internet for genuine Epson pigment ink replacements cartridges. In the UK 7 Day shop is a good starting place but even Amazon occasionally have them at half price. I usually buy in bulk quantities about twice a year.
    Thanks Dave, I'll certainly keep an eye out for that.

Cheers, Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, with the Epson 3800, do I understand correctly that there are 9 ink tanks. All of which are installed in the printer at the same time?. 6 of which are for colour work and 3 (mat black, light grey, lighter grey) for black and white printing.

With the 3800 you don't need to replace the black tank with the mat black tank when you want to switch to B&W like you have to do with other Epson printers?. The printer somehow knows (perhaps print driver setting) that it's to use the correct black tank for the job and the printer doesn't have to purge out all that expensive ink on a change over?.

How's the colour burst RIP software, any problems on a Mac?. Is it PPC compatible, intel or both?.

TIA
    I don't need..... I don't need...... but I've seen one a very good price...... you only live once...

Post Thanks / Like

Eoin, as I understand it, the Epson 3800 still does a "line purge" when changing from photo black to matte black and visa-versa, though it is a much milder sort of purge in comparison to the older models. Do check with other sources to confirm this (like others here, etc.), but it was my understanding that Epson had still not "fixed" this design issue until the 7900/9900 models.

It's a deal breaker for me, and why I currently use Canon ImagePROGRAF printers (all blacks are "plumbed" directly to the heads). Though if I were to upgrade now I'd look closely at the Epson 7900/9900. Clogging is a big issue for me as I print sporadically due to my travel schedule and other commitments, and the Canon iPF printers have been bomb-proof for me in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that Dale, I hadn't thought about head clogging.
    I tend to not print for a month or two, then I spend hours running off lots of stuff.

I wonder if Epson has improved this area?.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that Dale, I hadn't thought about head clogging.
    I tend to not print for a month or two, then I spend hours running off lots of stuff.

I wonder if Epson has improved this area?.
    My printing sessions can look like that too. I have even turned my printer off for a few months (rather than leaving it to auto clean as needed), turned it on, it did a clean, and I resumed printing without issue. Others have reported the same.

Now with the newest firmware, the Canon printers are doing a better job of keeping ink consumption to a minimum for cleanings. The older firmware versions tended to waste more ink.

Not pushing Canon iPF printers here, just adding to the dialogue for those who might have printing habits which differ from others. Hopefully, these conversations help folks to consider needed features, and keeps pressure on Epson, HP and others to give us what we need. In my case, I print a lot on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag, but like certain other papers which require photo black, and like to be able to print any paper type without delay or adjustment (or wasting ink).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eoin,

I use both, the little 3800 and the "spaceship" 11880.

The swapping of blacks uses a little amaount of ink purge, nothing to be too fuzzy about really. I have not had a clogged head since August 2008, when I bought both maschines, and they do not print on a daily basis. I had both printers switched off during a 5 weeks period, returned, printed, no problem.

The 3800 is a very fine printer. Not the latest in ink technology, but well, it creates prints of excellent quality in deed!

It is not created as a high volume production maschine of course. But for smaller print runs it is just fine.

If you do print larger volumes, it might be the wrong maschine for you and you should look at the 7900 as an alternative, giving you the 24" option at the same time, the 3800 goes 17" only, and of course rollpaper and much larger ink tanks, hence better economics!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my understanding with the 4880 is that it is better to turn off the printer when idle as the heads then park in a way that keeps them from clogging. i have done so with good results

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    my understanding with the 4880 is that it is better to turn off the printer when idle as the heads then park in a way that keeps them from clogging. i have done so with good results
    I wonder if that's the same with the 3800?

I go a month between printing ... sometime longer ... especially in winter when I'm not doing weddings.

I've never experienced clogs or the need to clean the heads as of yet ... but I do not leave the printer on when not using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Graham,

according to Epson UK it applies for the 3800 as well, better to turn it off.

I turn off both maschines every evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, thanks for all the advice on the printers. I've some food for thought to keep me thinking for the next few weeks.

The 7900 is out of my price range for sure 3k this side of the pond.
    The Canon is not well supported here either.

So that leaves me a choice between the 4880 and the 3800 at 920 & 1500.
    I kind of like the ability to tray load the media and have the capability to use roll paper stock, but unless I was doing a lot of panorama stuff the roll function is a bit wasted for me now. The inks seem cheaper for the 4880 but it seems to waste lots of ink between gloss and matte media changes (20ml) according to some reports. Must have something to do with actually having to physically swap the tanks.

Sense tells me the 3800 is more of a fit to my needs, with the ability to print beyond A3+ to 17x22 (borderless). Ink changes use 1.5ml to switch from gloss to matte and 4.5ml to go back without having to swap out tanks.

I love the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag for monochrome, I presume I'll get good results with the 3800?. Photo Rag has a tendency to curl a little.

My only concern, is the 3800 is quite old now in printer life cycles. Support may become an issue over the next few years.

Greham, sorry, I don't know why I keep calling you Mark, Dhu!. I'll get it right one of these days .

Thanks again Guys, feel free to persuade me otherwise if you think there is another option I'm missing without breaking the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eoin,

not sure where you are located at. There seems to be some epson rebates going on at the moment, at least in the US that is.

http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/wide-f..._901_1421.html

Curly prints can be cured by using a de- roller or similiar.

http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/handli...3_835_936.html