The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone else using Helicon Focus?

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
The more I use C1, the more I prefer it to LR for everything except healing and the gradient tool. I love the Color Editor and the lens corrections tools - much better than LR.

I still use LR for cataloguing, slide shows and web pages - until I learn how to do the latter in C1.

Bill
Hi Bill,

I am not sure for myself what is best practise for a future workflow with phase files. I am new to C1, but I think that the output options in Lightroom might surpass C1 soon. I think of softproofing and printing, which in certain cases could eliminate the need to use photoshop alltogether.

I was talking to Michael Reichmann about that two days ago and by coincidence he is working on an article that describes his approach on the matter, which is close to my gut feeling how I would go along. He appears to do the basics in C1 and then bring all over to LR. The article should be published on LuLa in a week or so. Michael is pretty much a pragmatist and it will be interesting to see his conclusions.

At the end I think it still is a case of individual needs and preferences. LR so far has the best approach to me to become the only package needed for 80% of work, and I like this a lot.

Sure the lense correction database is a huge plus as are other aspects of C1 at a glance. I have the opportunity to ask all those questions to phase one next week and see what their take is.

Ebe

Combine ZM is a free PC focus stacking software.
It does not support 16-bit files, but in many images
I preferred it's output to Helicon's.
* Note, have not played with Helicon for several months *
Two examples with a Mamiya_Phase are in the Medium Format, Fun with MF Images,
Page 34, the truck door is from 3 frames, and the other was 4 frames.