Site Sponsors

Thread: Bounce flash on the a900

Shelby Lewis

Bounce flash on the a900

Just wondering... you guys who shoot events with the a900/hvl-f58m.

If I set the flash to adi and then decide to bounce, I understand that the camera automatically switches to ttl (which is cool). However, if I have a non-sony lens on the camera, does it also default to ttl?

ie... when i use the sigma 50, do i need to set the camera specifically to ttl, or will it switch automatically from adi?

Lastly, do I even need to worry about adi (is the ttl good enough as it is)?

Thanks!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bounce flash on the a900

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Just wondering... you guys who shoot events with the a900/hvl-f58m.

If I set the flash to adi and then decide to bounce, I understand that the camera automatically switches to ttl (which is cool). However, if I have a non-sony lens on the camera, does it also default to ttl?

ie... when i use the sigma 50, do i need to set the camera specifically to ttl, or will it switch automatically from adi?

Lastly, do I even need to worry about adi (is the ttl good enough as it is)?

Thanks!
    Shelby
    Shelby,

It does not matter if it is a non-Sony lens, but what is relevant is if it is a "D" lens or a non-D lens. D lenses have 8 electronic contacts (v/s 5 contacts for non D lens) and transmit additional focus information (Distance Encoding, in Sony parlance). If a non-D lens is detected camera automatically switches to TTL.
    So i keep my camera in ADI mode all the time. It will switch automatically when either flash is tilted or when non D lens is encountered.

Cheers,

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.