The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Had a technical problem with my a900 today

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I was shooting a track meet and when I filled up one CF card I inserted another and the electronics shut down. I couldn't access the menu or anything. I removed the battery and tried another nothing. I tried the original CF card nothing...off it goes to the manufacture I guess. I'll fill everyone in on their service. Anyone else have this problem?

I didn't take a spare camera (big mistake) but another photographer bailed me out.

edwardkaraa

Sorry to hear about that Mike. Did you switch off the camera before removing the card? Not sure about the Sony but my 1Ds used to switch off automatically when I opened the CF door.

fotografz

Let it sit over night with the battery out, charge a different battery all night, use a different CF card, take two asprins and call us in the morning ... : -)

I've had a Canon 5D do that to me, and a Nikon D1X did the same thing years ago. Both worked the next day.

The only reason this happened is because you didn't have a back-up ... Murphy's Law.

Fingers crossed for you.

-Marc

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Ok we'll test Sony's service. Today I "live chatted" with a technical person then he called me and we determined that my a900 is in fact fried. He assigned me a work order number and a priority ID and I sent the camera to their service center in Laredo TX. They said they would try to have it back to me before this weekend as long as I paid for the overnight charges.
If they do that, it would be A+ service, four day turn around, even if I get it early next week it would be very good. We'll see...I will keep you posted.

jonoslack

Ok we'll test Sony's service. Today I "live chatted" with a technical person then he called me and we determined that my a900 is in fact fried. He assigned me a work order number and a priority ID and I sent the camera to their service center in Laredo TX. They said they would try to have it back to me before this weekend as long as I paid for the overnight charges.
If they do that, it would be A+ service, four day turn around, even if I get it early next week it would be very good. We'll see...I will keep you posted.
Mike I'm really sorry - you're the first person I've seen with a dead A900.
It WILL be interesting to see how well they respond.

Good Luck and Commiserations

mwalker

Subscriber Member
UPDATE
Talked with Sony, it was shipped back to me today (three day), total turnaround 6 business days including shipping both ways! Thats about as good as it gets! All the guy could tell me was they replaced a part on the board, made a few adjustments and tested it....:thumbs:

FYI- the priory service number is 239-768-7606 and the service center number is 866-357-6230

Last edited:

edwardkaraa

All good news, Mike. Please keep us updated. In my experience, Sony service has been exemplary so far. For them, coming to a Sony shop with an A900 or a ZA lens is like being a member of CPS :D

dhsimmonds

UPDATE
Talked with Sony, it was shipped back to me today (three day), total turnaround 6 business days including shipping both ways! Thats about as good as it gets! All the guy could tell me was they replaced a part on the board, made a few adjustments and tested it....:thumbs:

FYI- the priory service number is 239-768-7606 and the service center number is 866-357-6230
This is good to know, although I am sorry that you had all the hassle in the first place. Many thanks for sharing what appears to be a very isolated incident with us.