Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony a900 and studio flash

RichardL

Sony a900 and studio flash

Hi folks. I am new here and this is my first post. I am seriously thinking of purchasing the a900 because of the Zeiss lenses, and also because of all the positive things I've read about this camera. I've not splashed the cash yet because my main shooting takes place in a studio using the Elinchrom Skyport remote system. The Sony propriety hotshoe does not cater for conventional remote systems such as the Skyport. How do you guys shoot wirelessly and is there an easy way round this without purchasing the (rather expensive) hotshoe adaptor FA-HS1AM?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony a900 and studio flash

There are TONS of ~$10 ebay options for hotshoe adapters. I use them all the time, and they are sturdy. I have yet to have one go out on me, although I keep a few around at all times, just in case. I use strobes constantly with the A900, and, combined with the Zeiss lenses, you can't find a better 35mm DSLR for studio, IMO. Go for it

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    How do you guys shoot wirelessly and is there an easy way round this without purchasing the (rather expensive) hotshoe adaptor FA-HS1AM?

Thanks in advance

Richard
    Hey Richard... welcome to the forum!

I bought this adapter to use with my pocketwizards, but the cheapo ones should be just as good:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ER_f_SONY.html

As far as shooting wirelsesss... it's been completely reliable with the adapter. I use strobes on location a bunch and have had zero problems. Here's a post with some examples of strobes on location:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...99&postcount=1

Cheers!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like

You can also work with just the PC-sync port. My wireless trigger hangs off a cable...not a bit issue for tripod work.

Greg