The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A900

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulations Peter - I hope that you find it as much a breath of fresh air as I have moving from Nikon - and Terry seems to have as well.

Good Luck
Thanks,

I did not find so much air when I had my 5D2, so I am hoping on this one!

But I am pretty confident as there is Zeiss glass, which I trust!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sounds like another A900 on the workshop. Nice to hear and a nice chance for me to see the files and cam first hand and anyone else going, bonus Doug and I can fine tune the A900 for C1. We have a nice diverse set of gear MF Phase products P40 , P45+, P30+ and maybe P65+ and also H3 . Nikon D3x, Leica M8's, Sony A900 and Canon 5DII. Folks I still have room for 2 more.
Looking forward to how the A900 and C1 perform together ;)

Just a minor comment - if you are referring to my 5DII then I must say that this one will not come to the workshop. Already sold for the A900 :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
We still have one coming I am pretty sure. You moved fast on the A900 .
Well,

I got first a great offer and second I know Zeiss glass since many years and trust it's quality and third I could crosscheck a lot of the findings I made about the A900 in other places and discussions here in this forum.

So I am pretty sure that I did the right move ;)

BTW I still keep my Nikon glass for a while, so just in case they wake up and really shake the market with their next product :D

jonoslack

Why would you give up one of the pleasures of life, Jono?

Despite worldwide persecution, I am still a keen smoker :D
HI Edward
well, I did smoke from 14-54, and I did really enjoy it. I haven't had a puff for over 3 years now (and I do go to lots of smokey places).

You will be pleased to hear that:

1. I still like the smell of fresh smoke and stand close to people who do smoke
2. when we have dinner parties at home, smokers are allowed to smoke, if others don't like it they're invited to sit near the big open fire, and the smoke goes up there.

So, I'm in no way a born-again anti smoker . . . but, when doing anything strenuous I certainly do feel better and less breathy.

I felt I'd had a good innings, and that getting out then might just save me from nasty things later on (hopefully I didn't leave it too late).

Now to give up the Sauvignon blank :eek::mad::ROTFL:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I was once, a long time ago, a medical underwriter for a life insurance company. The stats are clear - on average smokers can expect, as a group, to live 8-12 years less than non-smokers.

Wine drinkers, on the other hand, if they do not exceed a couple of glasses a day, live slightly longer than teetotalers.

Take your choice. Mine is a good Shiraz or Chardonnay. Seems we've been here before, in another thread....

Bill

jonoslack

...and if you exceed two glasses a day?.:p
Hi Mike
surely that wouldn't be relevant to anyone around here :ROTFL:

I do love statistics.
Did you know, for instance, that:
99.5% of the population have more than the average number of legs

jlm

Workshop Member
that means 0.5% have the average or less, making an understandable allowance for the legless and semi-legless who bring down the average

D

dmcnickle

This is an awesome thread. I am so glad I found it.

I am new to this forum and new to the A900. My A900, 24-70 and 70-400 arrived late yesterday afternoon. I am coming over from Nikon and am very excited. I leave tomorrow for 10 days in Colorado taking my new Sony gear.

Any tips/advice on settings etc. would be greatly appreciated. It is a bit of an adjustment from Nikon.
I keep trying to move the multi-selector to change the focus point and then realize I have to switch to local focus area first and not be in wide. Also, without sounding too stupid, how do I set the auto review to display the histogram? I had my Nikon set to automatically show a small image and the histogram at the same time.

Thanks and I look forward to learning from this forum and becoming a part of the Sony family :)

D

dmcnickle

Hi,
I answered on the other thread you just started. Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome. I didn't want to hijack this thread so I said a bit and then started a new thread. Hope that is okay.

-Denise

Terry

Not hijacking at all. It is great to continue on this thread it becomes sort of a compendium of Sony knowledge.