Site Sponsors

Thread: Has anyone tried the 24-105 Sony lens

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone tried the 24-105 Sony lens

Hi There
    yeah yeah, I know

It's just that sometimes it would be nice to go really light - added to which, pointing the 24-70 at people in a casual situation sometimes seems to irritate!

I know well enough that miracle lenses don't exist, but there are a few that work better than one might have a right to expect.

I've heard good things about the Tamron 28-75, but I sometimes like to go wider than that, and a decent 24-105 would be a fine thing!

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Has anyone tried the 24-105 Sony lens

Tamron 24-135 is rather decent up to around 80mm and great below 50. I think it has been discontinued, but it should be cheap second-hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Adorama still got it on stock for $399.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Jorgen
    I'd forgotten about that lens, I used to like it on the Kodak SLR/n . . although it did tend to blow dust on to the sensor!

Thanks doc - I just found that too - but they don't ship to the UK.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I've moved to the Tamron 28-75 with my 5D for most shooting (but, as you said, you'd like 24)--MUCH smaller/lighter than my Canon 24-70L--don't know the size of the Sony 24-70. Its very good--at some FL better than my Canon L--altho' not quite as contrasty, but I shoot in RAW so that's irrelevant for me.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I used to own the Minolta 28-75, which was made by Tamron, and it wasn't bad, although I sold before I received the A900, so I couldn't say how it holds up to 24MP. If you go with this lens, look for the Minolta version, as it had a circular aperture, and tends to test slightly better than the Tamron (better QC, maybe?)

Dunno about the 24-105, although I haven't heard great things. You may wanna look at the older Minolta 28-135.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Jono, I used to own the Minolta 28-75, which was made by Tamron, and it wasn't bad, although I sold before I received the A900, so I couldn't say how it holds up to 24MP. If you go with this lens, look for the Minolta version, as it had a circular aperture, and tends to test slightly better than the Tamron (better QC, maybe?)

Dunno about the 24-105, although I haven't heard great things. You may wanna look at the older Minolta 28-135.
    HI Douglas
    I think you're probably right . . . 28mm isn't that great for me, I'd rather go a bit wider for a 'walkabout' lens.

Diane
    I tried several copies of the Tamron 28-75 on the D3, I bought the best, but it was still pretty grotty, so I only kept it for a few days.

Maybe the problem is that I want a free lunch . .. and there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you can live with a shorter long end, the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 is supposed to be good too, and very compact. I haven't tried one though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had this lens for years, and it came with my Minolta Dynax 7. It is comvenient and light weight on film cameras and OK on APS C digital but I have never tried it on A900. Should be a great lens, similar to 1680 for A900.

Paul

Review here including on the A900;
    http://newcamerareview.com/sony_24_1...viewid179.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    yeah yeah, I know

It's just that sometimes it would be nice to go really light - added to which, pointing the 24-70 at people in a casual situation sometimes seems to irritate!

I know well enough that miracle lenses don't exist, but there are a few that work better than one might have a right to expect.

I've heard good things about the Tamron 28-75, but I sometimes like to go wider than that, and a decent 24-105 would be a fine thing!
    Come on Jono, you know that you really want the ZA 16-35 F2.8....it really is a great lens. This with your 70-300 is all you need for most shooting if you are travelling light.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Come on Jono, you know that you really want the ZA 16-35 F2.8.....
    I agree, it's time to stop this self flagellation and move on with your life , you know .... and we know it's only a matter of time before you give in and there is a ZA 16-35 in your bag.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85