The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 First Shots

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Received yesterday my A900 with the Zeiss 16-35 and 24-70 and the Sony 70-200.

My first impressions are very good! I had not expected such well built camera and lenses, easy and logical to operate and overall a pleasure to use. FYI I compare with Nikon (D series) and Canon (5D series). Sony has really done a great step towards a perfect camera - if such a thing exists ;)

Hers some examples all done with Aperture Priority and processing and exporting in C1Pro:

First is with 24-70 at 35mm, 2.8 and ISO100
Second is with 70-200 at 200mm, 2.8 and ISO100
Third is with 16-35 at 24mm, 2.8 and ISO100

carstenw

Congratualtions, and I like that first shot a lot. These look as if they might have sharpening artifacts though. Did you shoot JPG, or how did you develop them?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratualtions, and I like that first shot a lot. These look as if they might have sharpening artifacts though. Did you shoot JPG, or how did you develop them?
Thanks Carsten!

No I shot RAW and did a WEB Contact Sheet export from C1Pro.

Trying direct export right now, so same stuff again but via C1Pro export to JPEG:

carstenw

Thanks Carsten!

No I shot RAW and did a WEB Contact Sheet export from C1Pro.

Trying direct export right now, so same stuff again but via C1Pro export to JPEG:
These look a lot more relaxed. Very nice. I really like that little house.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
These look a lot more relaxed. Very nice. I really like that little house.
That little house is a wine cellar in Austria close to the place I live. In front of the cellar they have these types of houses where they used (and still do) press the wine. The light was not optimal I know, because it was almost noon, but just wanted to try something.

WRT the look - interesting is that the A900 RAW files look better on the Web if directly processed with C1, if I did the same to the Tiff files I produce with PSCS3 from my scans, then the Web Contact Sheet is giving the better results.

I know I could do all in PS, but I am a lazy guy :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Enjoy the green stuff Peter , your coming to my turf now and green is not happening. LOL

Looking very nice and look forward to seeing what you do with it here on planet mars

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Enjoy the green stuff Peter , your coming to my turf now and green is not happening. LOL

Looking very nice and look forward to seeing what you do with it here on planet mars
Thanks Guy!

I'm already working on a new white balance setting called "Mars Daylight" which shall make reds and oranges pretty vivid :D

beamon

Boost those yellows as well, Peter. Yellow is the most common color in the flora of the Sonoran Desert.

If you've never been to the deserts of the American SW, you are in for a mild cultural shock. But, what is amazing is both the diversity and abundance of life in these areas. Well adapted life that would perish in days in your beautiful, lush green Austria in the Springtime.

This planet that we call home is weird and wonderful no matter where you hang your hat. Enjoy!

dhsimmonds

Nice shots Peter and welcome to the A900 owners club!

It is amazing how many guys I see on this site that I first "met" on the L-Forum! The 900 is truly a very good intuitive camera and the CZ AF lenses just make it sing.

Enjoy your trip to AZ and send us lots of images with your 900....I can't wait to see them as last time I was there I was using the DMR with R21-35 with it's 1.37 crop. The Zeiss 16-35 on FF will be awesome..........it is my favourite lens on the A900.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Boost those yellows as well, Peter. Yellow is the most common color in the flora of the Sonoran Desert.

If you've never been to the deserts of the American SW, you are in for a mild cultural shock. But, what is amazing is both the diversity and abundance of life in these areas. Well adapted life that would perish in days in your beautiful, lush green Austria in the Springtime.

This planet that we call home is weird and wonderful no matter where you hang your hat. Enjoy!
Folks I will! Looking really forward to this workshop and we are a great group and we have one of the best teachers ;)

WRT the green in my photos - currently it is very green here, we had lots of rain in the last few weeks and actually I took the chance of some sunny hours today after a rainy period.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nice shots Peter and welcome to the A900 owners club!

It is amazing how many guys I see on this site that I first "met" on the L-Forum! The 900 is truly a very good intuitive camera and the CZ AF lenses just make it sing.

Enjoy your trip to AZ and send us lots of images with your 900....I can't wait to see them as last time I was there I was using the DMR with R21-35 with it's 1.37 crop. The Zeiss 16-35 on FF will be awesome..........it is my favourite lens on the A900.
Dave, good to see you here :)

Thanks and yes, I really look forward to the Zeiss lenses in combination with that Sony sensor. At low ISO it seems to be wonderful, I already tried up to ISO1600 and even these shots were excellent, if exposed correctly.

I bought the A900 for landscape photography mainly, so I will not use it too often above ISO800 and thus it should be perfect. I hope I can somehow bridge the timespan till I move to a MF system with the A900. And as it looks it is a good choice, maybe for an even longer time, before MF settles a bit more:angel:

I also had the DMR and the 21-35, actually my favorite lens on the R9/DMR. But I am confident the FF sensor of the A900 together with that Zeiss lenses will outperform the DMR and 21-35. :cool:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks

some more! All ISO 100! These is a small village around the place I live. And an old "Kellergasse", which is a small street, where you have wine cellars on both sides. Today was really nice weather, not always the case!

First with 24-70 at 24 / f4
Second with 70-200 at 200 / f8
Third with 16-35 at 18 / f5.6

I really love this camera :thumbup:

S

S.P.

Peter -

Exquisite for subject, composition, detail, depth, light, contrast, tonal gradation and lush tonal richness.

I think you can sell a lot of this pictures on high prices when you have bought the MF-Equipment! :rolleyes:

jonoslack

HI Peter
Lovely pictures - congratulations on the new camera
I was dithering on the edge of MF last year, but the Sony really has shut me up about it for some time. I understand that the MF files will be better, just as I understand that a Maserati would be faster than my humble motor, but what I've got is fun too, and much less aggravation than the 'real deal', and on the rare occasions when I get a decent landscape shot, then the A900 will do an excellent large print.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Peter quick break for me here but do you have a white balance card.Maybe take a shot of it on your next outing than WB the whole folder to it in C1 , wondering what color temp you are coming up with. I see slightly yellow at the moment

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter -

Exquisite for subject, composition, detail, depth, light, contrast, tonal gradation and lush tonal richness.

I think you can sell a lot of this pictures on high prices when you have bought the MF-Equipment! :rolleyes:
Thank you!

I hope that I sooner or later can go for some MF equipment. And yes, I need to sell for pretty high prices to be able to afford this ;)

Meanwhile I go with the "cheap solution" - think it is pretty good for what it costs :thumbup: