Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: A900 First Shots

  1. #1
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    A900 First Shots

    Received yesterday my A900 with the Zeiss 16-35 and 24-70 and the Sony 70-200.

    My first impressions are very good! I had not expected such well built camera and lenses, easy and logical to operate and overall a pleasure to use. FYI I compare with Nikon (D series) and Canon (5D series). Sony has really done a great step towards a perfect camera - if such a thing exists

    Hers some examples all done with Aperture Priority and processing and exporting in C1Pro:

    First is with 24-70 at 35mm, 2.8 and ISO100
    Second is with 70-200 at 200mm, 2.8 and ISO100
    Third is with 16-35 at 24mm, 2.8 and ISO100

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Congratualtions, and I like that first shot a lot. These look as if they might have sharpening artifacts though. Did you shoot JPG, or how did you develop them?
    Carsten - Website

  3. #3
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Congratualtions, and I like that first shot a lot. These look as if they might have sharpening artifacts though. Did you shoot JPG, or how did you develop them?
    Thanks Carsten!

    No I shot RAW and did a WEB Contact Sheet export from C1Pro.

    Trying direct export right now, so same stuff again but via C1Pro export to JPEG:

  4. #4
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Some close up shots, both with 24-70

  5. #5
    Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Hi Peter,

    congratulations. I had a sleepless night, so will you.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Thanks Carsten!

    No I shot RAW and did a WEB Contact Sheet export from C1Pro.

    Trying direct export right now, so same stuff again but via C1Pro export to JPEG:
    These look a lot more relaxed. Very nice. I really like that little house.
    Carsten - Website

  7. #7
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    These look a lot more relaxed. Very nice. I really like that little house.
    That little house is a wine cellar in Austria close to the place I live. In front of the cellar they have these types of houses where they used (and still do) press the wine. The light was not optimal I know, because it was almost noon, but just wanted to try something.

    WRT the look - interesting is that the A900 RAW files look better on the Web if directly processed with C1, if I did the same to the Tiff files I produce with PSCS3 from my scans, then the Web Contact Sheet is giving the better results.

    I know I could do all in PS, but I am a lazy guy

  8. #8
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Congrats on the new toy. We all love our 900.
    Joe

  9. #9
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Enjoy the green stuff Peter , your coming to my turf now and green is not happening. LOL

    Looking very nice and look forward to seeing what you do with it here on planet mars
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  10. #10
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Enjoy the green stuff Peter , your coming to my turf now and green is not happening. LOL

    Looking very nice and look forward to seeing what you do with it here on planet mars
    Thanks Guy!

    I'm already working on a new white balance setting called "Mars Daylight" which shall make reds and oranges pretty vivid

  11. #11
    Member beamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    southern Arizona, USA
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Boost those yellows as well, Peter. Yellow is the most common color in the flora of the Sonoran Desert.

    If you've never been to the deserts of the American SW, you are in for a mild cultural shock. But, what is amazing is both the diversity and abundance of life in these areas. Well adapted life that would perish in days in your beautiful, lush green Austria in the Springtime.

    This planet that we call home is weird and wonderful no matter where you hang your hat. Enjoy!
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

  12. #12
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Nice shots Peter and welcome to the A900 owners club!

    It is amazing how many guys I see on this site that I first "met" on the L-Forum! The 900 is truly a very good intuitive camera and the CZ AF lenses just make it sing.

    Enjoy your trip to AZ and send us lots of images with your 900....I can't wait to see them as last time I was there I was using the DMR with R21-35 with it's 1.37 crop. The Zeiss 16-35 on FF will be awesome..........it is my favourite lens on the A900.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  13. #13
    jeffrisk
    Guest

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Great job.
    Some great pics in all four sets - well done!

  14. #14
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post
    Boost those yellows as well, Peter. Yellow is the most common color in the flora of the Sonoran Desert.

    If you've never been to the deserts of the American SW, you are in for a mild cultural shock. But, what is amazing is both the diversity and abundance of life in these areas. Well adapted life that would perish in days in your beautiful, lush green Austria in the Springtime.

    This planet that we call home is weird and wonderful no matter where you hang your hat. Enjoy!
    Folks I will! Looking really forward to this workshop and we are a great group and we have one of the best teachers

    WRT the green in my photos - currently it is very green here, we had lots of rain in the last few weeks and actually I took the chance of some sunny hours today after a rainy period.

  15. #15
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Nice shots Peter and welcome to the A900 owners club!

    It is amazing how many guys I see on this site that I first "met" on the L-Forum! The 900 is truly a very good intuitive camera and the CZ AF lenses just make it sing.

    Enjoy your trip to AZ and send us lots of images with your 900....I can't wait to see them as last time I was there I was using the DMR with R21-35 with it's 1.37 crop. The Zeiss 16-35 on FF will be awesome..........it is my favourite lens on the A900.
    Dave, good to see you here

    Thanks and yes, I really look forward to the Zeiss lenses in combination with that Sony sensor. At low ISO it seems to be wonderful, I already tried up to ISO1600 and even these shots were excellent, if exposed correctly.

    I bought the A900 for landscape photography mainly, so I will not use it too often above ISO800 and thus it should be perfect. I hope I can somehow bridge the timespan till I move to a MF system with the A900. And as it looks it is a good choice, maybe for an even longer time, before MF settles a bit more

    I also had the DMR and the 21-35, actually my favorite lens on the R9/DMR. But I am confident the FF sensor of the A900 together with that Zeiss lenses will outperform the DMR and 21-35.

  16. #16
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Folks

    some more! All ISO 100! These is a small village around the place I live. And an old "Kellergasse", which is a small street, where you have wine cellars on both sides. Today was really nice weather, not always the case!

    First with 24-70 at 24 / f4
    Second with 70-200 at 200 / f8
    Third with 16-35 at 18 / f5.6

    I really love this camera

  17. #17
    S.P.
    Guest

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Peter -

    Exquisite for subject, composition, detail, depth, light, contrast, tonal gradation and lush tonal richness.

    I think you can sell a lot of this pictures on high prices when you have bought the MF-Equipment!

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A900 First Shots

    HI Peter
    Lovely pictures - congratulations on the new camera
    I was dithering on the edge of MF last year, but the Sony really has shut me up about it for some time. I understand that the MF files will be better, just as I understand that a Maserati would be faster than my humble motor, but what I've got is fun too, and much less aggravation than the 'real deal', and on the rare occasions when I get a decent landscape shot, then the A900 will do an excellent large print.

    Just this guy you know

  19. #19
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Peter quick break for me here but do you have a white balance card.Maybe take a shot of it on your next outing than WB the whole folder to it in C1 , wondering what color temp you are coming up with. I see slightly yellow at the moment
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  20. #20
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by S.P. View Post
    Peter -

    Exquisite for subject, composition, detail, depth, light, contrast, tonal gradation and lush tonal richness.

    I think you can sell a lot of this pictures on high prices when you have bought the MF-Equipment!
    Thank you!

    I hope that I sooner or later can go for some MF equipment. And yes, I need to sell for pretty high prices to be able to afford this

    Meanwhile I go with the "cheap solution" - think it is pretty good for what it costs

  21. #21
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Peter quick break for me here but do you have a white balance card.Maybe take a shot of it on your next outing than WB the whole folder to it in C1 , wondering what color temp you are coming up with. I see slightly yellow at the moment
    Guy,

    this is true, I was using AWB - do not even dare to say

    I currently do not have a WB card, but will try to get one.

    Thanks!

  22. #22
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Peter
    Lovely pictures - congratulations on the new camera
    I was dithering on the edge of MF last year, but the Sony really has shut me up about it for some time. I understand that the MF files will be better, just as I understand that a Maserati would be faster than my humble motor, but what I've got is fun too, and much less aggravation than the 'real deal', and on the rare occasions when I get a decent landscape shot, then the A900 will do an excellent large print.
    Thanks Jono!

    As you know I am currently in the same situation as you obviously have been. As I could not decide so far on any MF system (I have the fear Guy will change that during the next workshop ) I thought I give the A900 and Zeiss glass a try. So far I am very happy. I am sure that there is a difference to MF, but considering the price difference I am also sure I can survive for a while, or maybe even longer with the A900.

    I played around today with upscaled TIFF files from the A900 RAWs in PS and the files look pretty good, so I am convinced I could even go till 60"x40" prints with it. Of course the differences are there to MF but ????

    I will also try stitching for landscapes, which should then give a very good final quality.

  23. #23
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A900 First Shots

    I should save these tips for you. LOL

    In C1 up rez right from the raw at 150 percent than go further in PS.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  24. #24
    Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Nice Peter!

    Gretag Macbeth does a small (visa Card like) color checker. Ridiculously expensive, but well.... what can you do. I used AWB today as well, and I feel it is very good under the light siutuation I was shooting. Of course, precision work requires one calibrationshot, not a lot of hassle in deed. - the good thing about these color checkers is, like me today, they are so small, I forgot to pack it in. -

    Would love to join you guys on Mars.

    Jono, I have little doubts on that as well. My god, just look at Alberts Pano in the Sony Fun picture page, 135mm 5 panels from a ballhead. OK, there will be a difference, and I look forward to try that, but what a result!!

    I will start with the P45+ and shoot in identical situations. No doubt, having 12.5 f Stops DR, it just has to be better. Then again, the percentage quality advantage between MFDB and DSLR has gotten smaller in deed, and I feel what we are getting for the money on an alpha is excpetional of course 50% of that is due to ZEISS.

  25. #25
    the_shootist
    Guest

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Hello Peter!
    great pics you are showing us here, thanx for sharing!
    can you already say something about the picture quality at high ISO rates (1600 and above).
    regards,
    Hans

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Erm
    I'm going to get on my hobby horse again here.
    First of all I should say that Im talking about shooting nature in daylight. Okay?
    i used AWB for years, because it was there. Then I got grown up, and used grey cards and expodiscs to get a 'real' white balance.

    Then I realised that what I wanted was to capture the light, and that if there was a shadow and a sunlight, then a 'correct' white balance simply did not exist.

    These days, in daylight, I shoot DAYLIGHT - because, I want to see my light with reference to daylight, this means that if it's a sunset shot the light will be warm, if it's a daybreak shot it will be cooler and pinker, if it's mid day, then it will be neutral.

    Of course, I can always change it in post processing (but I rarely do).

    To put it another way, if you look at an 18% grey card in the late evening it'll look yellow (okay?). Well, if I shoot in the late evening I WANT that grey card to look yellow.

    Added to which, if you always leave the white balance the same (i.e. daylight) in natural light, then you really get to understand the colour response of your camera. If you're always pissing about with the colour, then you'll never understand it.

    Just this guy you know

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: A900 First Shots

    I've taken Jono's advice and it's been serving me very well.

    This is my in seat entertainment. iPhone + wifi at 30,000 ft on my way to NY. Cool!!!

  28. #28
    Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I've taken Jono's advice and it's been serving me very well.

    This is my in seat entertainment. iPhone + wifi at 30,000 ft on my way to NY. Cool!!!
    Ladies and Gentlemen, there is a elctronic disturbance interfering with our landing system coming from.... The Lady in seat 4a.... ahem....

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Great WB advice from Jono. I would add that if you shoot indoors with tungsten lighting a lot, and you want to correct it (not a given), and you want the highest quality results possible, and are willing to suffer a little to get this, you should consider getting a tungsten blue filter for your lens. The more "final" the colour of the light landing on the sensor, the less correction it needs later, and thus the less of its latitude you will use up with WB corrections. The same would go for any other strong, undesirable colour casts in your lighting. Digital does not mean no filters!
    Carsten - Website

  30. #30
    Member APY_JR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Erm
    I'm going to get on my hobby horse again here.
    First of all I should say that Im talking about shooting nature in daylight. Okay?
    i used AWB for years, because it was there. Then I got grown up, and used grey cards and expodiscs to get a 'real' white balance.

    Then I realised that what I wanted was to capture the light, and that if there was a shadow and a sunlight, then a 'correct' white balance simply did not exist.

    These days, in daylight, I shoot DAYLIGHT - because, I want to see my light with reference to daylight, this means that if it's a sunset shot the light will be warm, if it's a daybreak shot it will be cooler and pinker, if it's mid day, then it will be neutral.

    Of course, I can always change it in post processing (but I rarely do).

    To put it another way, if you look at an 18% grey card in the late evening it'll look yellow (okay?). Well, if I shoot in the late evening I WANT that grey card to look yellow.

    Added to which, if you always leave the white balance the same (i.e. daylight) in natural light, then you really get to understand the colour response of your camera. If you're always pissing about with the colour, then you'll never understand it.
    Hi Jono!

    So... you're saying you shoot everything at 5500??

    That can't be right... 'cause warm light (evening) will look blue and cool will look warm!

    Surely you're click balancing or shooting everything with a CC card (or expodisc, shootsmarter, WhiBal etc...) from wherever the light is coming from.

    Albert

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, there is a elctronic disturbance interfering with our landing system coming from.... The Lady in seat 4a.... ahem....
    4A would be nice. I ended up with a middle seat (late booking). All my electronics are flight legal. Wifi supplied by VirginAmerica. Internet and TV can keep me occupied and happy. For those who haventbflown them yet Virgin America does a good job.

  32. #32
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A900 First Shots

    I also use Jono's WB advice quite a bit, and I think it's a good way to shoot.

  33. #33
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Back in my DMR days I used specific WB presets like daylight very often, because AWB did not work at all - at least for long times.

    AWB also did not work great in my D2X. It started working pretty good from my D3.

    Now in the A900 as I see so far it works good and consistent, although it seems (in my case) to deliver a bet yellow cast. I will try next the daylight preset. And I will try the grey card stuff, although this seems to be more work upfront.

    But in general I would say that the A900 AWB works great for what AWB can do - and AWB will never be right 100%.

  34. #34
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by the_shootist View Post
    Hello Peter!
    great pics you are showing us here, thanx for sharing!
    can you already say something about the picture quality at high ISO rates (1600 and above).
    regards,
    Hans
    Hans,

    not yet, but I will share some results as soon as I have done some experiments. Depends when I am going to get into a nice situation to shoot at ISO1600 and above.

    Stay tuned

  35. #35
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Followed the advise of Jack in another thread and uploaded a 900 pixel JPEG. I also did color correction and played a bit with the curves in C1 to get the mood of the scene as I have in mind from yesterday shooting.

    A900 - 16-35 at f9, 1/80th second and ISO 100

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by APY_JR View Post
    Hi Jono!

    So... you're saying you shoot everything at 5500??

    That can't be right... 'cause warm light (evening) will look blue and cool will look warm!

    Surely you're click balancing or shooting everything with a CC card (or expodisc, shootsmarter, WhiBal etc...) from wherever the light is coming from.

    Albert
    In daylight, yes I always use Daylight. And it doesn't make evening light look blue, it makes it look like evening light!

    The argument is that in mixed lighting, where you have light and shade, you can't get it 'right' anyway, because there will be a huge difference between the correct white balance in the light and shade areas. What's more to the point is that you don't want it right either! If you do a proper WB in evening light, then you are getting rid of the nature of the light by correcting it.

    Of course, you can take an incident reading, but what's that got to do with the price of beans?

    I started doing it one day with the D3, I took a walk in the evening with the dog, and checked the white balance frequently, in steady sunlight the camera varied between something like a little under 4000 to a little under 7000 . . . in the same lighting conditions!!!

    The two other advantages are:

    1. you really learn about the colour response of the camera - it's like using a single film stock for outdoor work - with different speeds of course.

    2. if you really need to change the WB in post, then it's easy to do it as a batch.

    Truth be told though, using Aperture with the A900 I don't believe I've messed with the white balance for more than a handful of shots since I started using it last October.

    Of course, this doesn't relate to shooting indoors, or in mixed artificial and natural lighting.

    You should give it a go, it's a real freedom!

    I should give credit where it's due, it was Robert here who suggested it last year when I was having dreadful trouble with colour with the D3

    Just this guy you know

  37. #37
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Have not used AWB since maybe the canon days. That was awhile ago. Looking forward to trying this cam soon
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  38. #38
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    This one done with WB set to Daylight (4900 as displayed in C1 Pro)

    Lens 16-35 at 35, f7.1 and 1/100

  39. #39
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A900 First Shots

    That looks right on the money Peter.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  40. #40
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Normally most of my P30+ files run right at 5200 for daylight shots but a 300 plus or minus on that works just fine depending on light and mood. With a white balance card Peter we can find your normal WB than deviate around that according to taste. Outside shots there really is no standard per say it depends on what mood you are trying to convey so WB sort of get's thrown out the door. But knowing the sweet spot or your standard with C1 is what you want to know. Than take it from there. George this goes as well for you since you both are C1 users. Now I like the ISO 100 shots here with c1 and that is something I want to see up North on the workshop.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  41. #41
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Ok, now trying links to the Album A900 First Shots - with 16-36 and Daylight setting


  42. #42
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Another one from my garden ....


  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Hey Peter
    Those look much nicer
    I especially like the pond

    Just this guy you know

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A900 First Shots

    +1

    Woody

  45. #45
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Back in my DMR days I used specific WB presets like daylight very often, because AWB did not work at all - at least for long times.

    AWB also did not work great in my D2X. It started working pretty good from my D3.

    Now in the A900 as I see so far it works good and consistent, although it seems (in my case) to deliver a bet yellow cast. I will try next the daylight preset. And I will try the grey card stuff, although this seems to be more work upfront.

    But in general I would say that the A900 AWB works great for what AWB can do - and AWB will never be right 100%.
    Peter I did the same for much the same sort of reasons as I also used AWB successfully with my DMR. After posting a shot from my A900 of some daffodils with blueish foliage, Jono suggested I tried daylight WB setting for all outdoor shots....it has transformed all of my outdoor work ever since

    I also use C1 and more often than not leave the colour WB "as shot". Occasionally I find the "cool" look preferable to "as shot". I use default sharpening in C1 and never re-sharpen at all either for print or web work when post processing and re-sizing in PS.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  46. #46
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A900 First Shots

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Peter I did the same for much the same sort of reasons as I also used AWB successfully with my DMR. After posting a shot from my A900 of some daffodils with blueish foliage, Jono suggested I tried daylight WB setting for all outdoor shots....it has transformed all of my outdoor work ever since

    I also use C1 and more often than not leave the colour WB "as shot". Occasionally I find the "cool" look preferable to "as shot". I use default sharpening in C1 and never re-sharpen at all either for print or web work when post processing and re-sizing in PS.
    Tried this advise and it looks great. It is incredible what this sensor delivers in combination with the lenses. So for landscape work it should be ok for a while

    We will compare it during the workshop with Phase backs - I am interested till which resolution it can hold up

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •