Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sony a900/Leica M8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony a900/Leica M8

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I shook my head in disgust when I heard the price of the new Noctilux and Summilux. Long gone are the days when Leica was (reasonably) affordable and one didn't mind paying that bit extra for the pleasure.

You'd want to be earning serious dosh from your photography to be dropping 10-19k on the S2 and who knows how much more for a set of lenses. It's a bit OTT for anyone except a true professional IMO. And I don't care how good it is
    But the prices for the new nocti and 'luxes was exactly my point . . . they're apparently selling in more quantity than the summarits. . . .

Someone must be buying them (surely it isn't just Marc?)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I think they meant 35 lux v's 35 summarit and 50 lux v's 50 summarit. At least these focal lengths are somewhat reasonable.
    If they were referring to the 21 & 24 lux's, then I'd expect demand to be strong since it's so new and many will want to upgrade.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I think they meant 35 lux v's 35 summarit and 50 lux v's 50 summarit. At least these focal lengths are somewhat reasonable.
    If they were referring to the 21 & 24 lux's, then I'd expect demand to be strong since it's so new and many will want to upgrade.
    In that case I reiterate my point . . . It's not price sensitive!

Just this guy you know

Jamesmd

Do you really think photos will be 20something pounds better ?

I understand pros to use it but , for a hobby , its only logical when you have 20something poket money , no ?, not my case

I would like one , yes of course .

james

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some people do have 20 something pocket money and if Leica has done their marketing research correctly they know that a certain number of those people can't wait to give it to Leica!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesmd View Post
    Do you really think photos will be 20something pounds better ?

I understand pros to use it but , for a hobby , its only logical when you have 20something poket money , no ?, not my case

I would like one , yes of course .

james
    Some people drop oodles and boodles of cash into hobbies like sailing and race cars ... in comparison this is chicken feed ... well, maybe not 10K for a Noctilux that I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to focus anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    In that case I reiterate my point . . . It's not price sensitive!
    In this case I'll reiterate my point, it's price sensitive for ME!
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Jamesmd

yes , I'm sure all that money is out there waiting to go for an S , but I think lost will go to people that simply want the best and can pay it with no problems (i'm always talking of non pros) I bet there are quite a big lot of M with lovely lenses in the box . That have been left because some PS lovely little camera does its job , And I understand it , you have the money , you ask what's the best , you buy it and then you realize it something not so easy to do and you keep it . You get your 100megapixell camera you bought last time , not long ago , and put it in your pocket because it small and does great shots.

no ?

James

Jamesmd

I would say , all of us in forums ... are a very little part of camera buyers .

People that aren't crazy like us , buy the camera to take their photos . and the easier de best . the smaller the best , and now days its difficult to find a camera that wont satisfy normal people , not us crazy people that look at the pixels before we look at the shot ( just a way of talking )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi James
    I quite agree with both your posts.
    If their target quantities for the first year are in the 1,000 or so . . I think there might actually be enough collectors worldwide to fulfill that quantity.

There are plenty of people who can simply go and spend that kind of money on a car / camera / boat whatever, and compared to smart cars and boats it's pretty small change - and they're much more likely to buy an S2 kit than a Hassleblad or Phase outfit.

Unfortunately I'm not one of those people

Hell, I can't even afford a Noctilux . . or a 24 'lux

Just this guy you know