Site Sponsors

Thread: minolta af 35 70

Jamesmd

minolta af 35 70

Hi all , I went out for the flash and found a min Af 35 70 f4 in perfect conditions for 60 , I tried it on the 900 and its very good , I'm very happy with it , and its very light .

Anyone uses this lens ?

Thanks

James

Jamesmd

Re: minolta af 35 70

and 6 months warranty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do you have any info about the lens you can share (elements, groups, etc.)? I have to wonder if it is similar to the Leica 35-70/4. I vaguely remember hearing that Minolta was involved in that lens at some level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not sure but I think that lens was designed and manufactured for Leica in their R mount. If so it is indeed a very good lens. Sorry Bill just noted that you got there first! I used the Leica version for about three years as a good light travel lens and it is so.....sharp!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Jamesmd

I'll find some info about it , but indeed it is a very nice lens , I'm really surprised.

thanks

Jamesmd

Post Thanks / Like

Intersting thread. There seem to be quite a lot 35-70 Minoltas floating around these days. As for the 'Leica R version' I digged into this a little, and found this old thread:

http://www.photography-forums.com/mi...ca-t13977.html

According to someone there:

Actually, the original non-macro MD Zoom Rokkor
    is at least as good as the later plain MD versions of
    which some have the additional 'macro' close-focus
    feature and some have not. The first version, with
    the Rokkor name and without close-focus feature,
    is the one originally provided to Leitz as the Vario-
    Elmar-R 35-70 mm 1:3.5. So were the later con-
    stant-speed versions but not the still-later variable-
    speed version.

This would be a manual focus lens. I'd like to find out more though, because the idea of getting an AF 35-70 Leica R for 50 is of course very tempting...

Dyxum is also a good resource, and has quite a large database:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results....e=3&offset=100

Kind Regards,

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here you'll find all Minolta/Sony lenses:
    http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/lenses.php?lg=de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let me know what you find out. I'm moving to Sony and I will very much miss the Leica 35-70/4. It is versatile and light and probably is what allowed me to stay with the DMR as long as I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I digged a little deeper, and it seems there were at least three versions of the 35-70 R, all manual of course. From what I understand, the first version was designed, produced and rebadged by Minolta. Later Leica versions supposedly had better mechanical build quality and a none rotating front element.

So the dream of a cheap 35-70 AF R quality lense will most probably stay a dream. But who knows, Minolta may have put a lot of knowledge in the 35-70 f4.0 AF version. The reviews I read seem to point out that it's quite good, and a bargain, pricewise.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does Leitax convert the 35-70 R?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Does Leitax convert the 35-70 R?
    Uh, well, sort of. They do, but the conversion requires cutting out all the ROM or at least de-soldering it, so you can but you really have to want it. That's why I'm selling mine.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    Well, I digged a little deeper, and it seems there were at least three versions of the 35-70 R, all manual of course. From what I understand, the first version was designed, produced and rebadged by Minolta. Later Leica versions supposedly had better mechanical build quality and a none rotating front element.

So the dream of a cheap 35-70 AF R quality lens will most probably stay a dream. But who knows, Minolta may have put a lot of knowledge in the 35-70 f4.0 AF version. The reviews I read seem to point out that it's quite good, and a bargain, price-wise.

Peter
    I owned both versions of the manual focus R 35-70/3.5 Vario Elmar. Note: these were f/3.5 lenses, not f/4. The first version was made in Japan by Minolta, and the second was made in Germany by Leica. The second was better build quality and featured a non-rotating barrel. I believe the coatings were updated on the 2nd also. These are not to be confused with the later R 35-70/4 Vario Elmar which is a different design.

If one were to convert a Leica R zoom for use on a A900, the better candidate may be R28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH Zoom (if it can be converted). This is perhaps one of the finest performing mid-range zooms made by anyone. Build quality of this lens is astounding. Not priced for the feint of heart however.

Jamesmd

Hi .

Leica or not , I love this lovely little old lens

here is a sample

Cheers
    Last edited by Jamesmd; 13th October 2009 at 05:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I owned both versions of the manual focus R 35-70/3.5 Vario Elmar. Note: these were f/3.5 lenses, not f/4. The first version was made in Japan by Minolta, and the second was made in Germany by Leica. The second was better build quality and featured a non-rotating barrel. I believe the coatings were updated on the 2nd also. These are not to be confused with the later R 35-70/4 Vario Elmar which is a different design.

If one were to convert a Leica R zoom for use on a A900, the better candidate may be R28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH Zoom (if it can be converted). This is perhaps one of the finest performing mid-range zooms made by anyone. Build quality of this lens is astounding. Not priced for the feint of heart however.
    Yes Marc, all very true. The R28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH Zoom would be a very nice on the a900 indeed. Ah, when will I win the lottery

Here's more of the same info:

http://nemeng.com/leica/019c.shtml

Post Thanks / Like

James, that's a beautiful image!

Jamesmd

Thanks sir

Jamesmd

Hi , a couple from this morning

cheers
    Last edited by Jamesmd; 13th October 2009 at 05:20.

Jamesmd

And one from yesterday , Monks where allways clever finding places

Rio Duraton , Sepulveda , Segovia , Spain
    Last edited by Jamesmd; 13th October 2009 at 05:20.