The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

daylight WB as reported in C1

picman

Just noted something odd. I always shoot with the daylight setting for white balance (I shoot raw so it does not matter much I guess). I "develop" in Capture One. Whereas for the 24-70, 85 and 135 Zeiss lenses the normal reading for daylight seems to be 5350 Kelvin (and -2 tint), the 16-35 Zeiss gives a reading of 5050 (and -1 tint). Is there any explanation for this?

Cheers, Bob.

douglasf13

I've been curious about this myself, except my numbers are different. My 24-70, 50, 85, and an m42 135 all generally give me a "daylight" WB of 5550 Kelvin/ -3 tint when set in-camera. However, sometimes that number changes. For instance, I have a few shots with the 24-70mm that come up as 5800 and -3. Hmmm?

picman

I've been curious about this myself, except my numbers are different. My 24-70, 50, 85, and an m42 135 all generally give me a "daylight" WB of 5550 Kelvin/ -3 tint when set in-camera. However, sometimes that number changes. For instance, I have a few shots with the 24-70mm that come up as 5800 and -3. Hmmm?
Wow, this is getting stranger and stranger. In the meantime I checked what it says in DxO

5210 K for the 16-35
5397 K for the 24-70, 85 and 135

all with tint -2.

Cheers, Bob

edwardkaraa

I doubt that C1 is misreading the camera settings. The only explanation is that the camera uses different settings depending on lens, or even focal length for zooms. This doesn't seem unusual for Sony, as I suspect also that Sony has a built in AF compensation for the 16-35 and 24-70 for what it considers the best average for the field curvature characteristics of each lens.

douglasf13

It seems like that would be the case, Edward, but I'm getting different readings every once in a while for both zooms and primes. I'll have to do more investigation.

On a side note, I know that you're into IDC primarily because of the color, and I'm starting to move away from C1 more and more for that very reason. Its color profile isn't quite right (too magenta, maybe?,) and Raw Therapee seems dead on. I actually went through every camera color profile in C1 to try and get a close match to RT, but no luck.

edwardkaraa

On a side note, I know that you're into IDC primarily because of the color, and I'm starting to move away from C1 more and more for that very reason. Its color profile isn't quite right (too magenta, maybe?,) and Raw Therapee seems dead on. I actually went through every camera color profile in C1 to try and get a close match to RT, but no luck.
I keep on downloading RT every now and then, but it seems to have an issue with my computer. It crashes every time I start it. Anyhow, I am extremely pleased with IDC from the output side, but this converter is a pain to use whenever I have more than a few images to work with. My favorite converter for workflow and efficiency is DPP, and I am still keeping hope that Sony will provide us one day with a similar program.

Last edited:

douglasf13

Yeah, it's a constant battle between workflow, ease of use, and output. I haven't had any problems with RT on my system, and every time that I think I'm going to stay with C1, I compare my images with RT, and RT wins every time. The detail is only slightly better with RT, but the color seems much better. I think I'm going full on RT....for now. :ROTFL:

picman

Yeah, it's a constant battle between workflow, ease of use, and output. I haven't had any problems with RT on my system, and every time that I think I'm going to stay with C1, I compare my images with RT, and RT wins every time. The detail is only slightly better with RT, but the color seems much better. I think I'm going full on RT....for now. :ROTFL:
Waiting for a Mac version :(

dbogdan

The problem with RT is that I would prefer to send the file directly to an editor. When you set up that option, it saves and moves it as an 8bit tiff. It seems 16 bit can only be saved to file, creating yet one more version, forcing you to again retrieve it to move forward with the work flow.

-david

M

madcat207

Agreed there. I wonder why they can't send the file at 16 bit??
I don't remember where I saw it, but since RT is made to be compatible with GIMP, the developed TIFFs have to be sent in 8 bit.

While i agree its annoying, I can personally live with it, since most of my output ends up as 8 bit anyway (printing or JPG for stock or display).

douglasf13

I just save as a 16 bit tiff, and then open in PS separately. If you do any adjustments in PS, it's good to use 16 bit so there are less artifacts and what not, but it doesn't always matter, I guess.