Site Sponsors

Thread: A850 manual downloaded

Post Thanks / Like

A850 manual downloaded

Apparently the A850 specs are out since a manual has been downloaded from a Sony site. There are many threads on photoclubalpha and dyxum for those interested.

Cheers, Bob.

PS This is one of many sites where an enthusiast has uploaded the manual

http://ylovephoto.com/en/2009/08/01/...e-user-manual/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A850 manual downloaded

Looks genuine. But its the alleged A1000 that interests me.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty cool, if the price is right...although I would hate to loose my A900 VF.

madcat207

One interesting thing of note from:
    http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/0...s-in-900-body/

Even at 3fps (Lo) continuous, the Alpha 900 can only shoot 12 raw frames consecutively before the shooting rate slows. The Alpha 850 – a cheaper body – can shoot 16 raw. All the capacities are increased:

RAW 16 images
    cRAW 18 images
    RAW & JPEG 12 images
    cRAW & JPEG 12 images
    Extra fine 34 images
    Fine/Standard 384 images/593 images

While RAW shows a worthwhile increase, JPEG improvement is off the chart (another reason I suspect it’s the Apical/Sony bit which handled post-processing, DRO, NR and JPEG conversion which has been upgraded). The Alpha 850 manages THREE TIMES the number of Extra Fine JPEGs, it’s a mere 11 with the A900, and almost four times the number of Standard. Of course, the UDMA 300X Sony CF card now used to measure this was not around when the Alpha 900 was launched, and no mention of it is made in the 900 manual. It gets its own credit in the A850 manual.
    Anyway, looking at this camera, I can't help but feel that this replaces the A900 (24MP at 5FPS thanks to dual processors could not be cheap) at around the same price, with something like an A950/A1000 being a fully "Pro" body..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe, although it seems odd that Sony would keep the A700 around for 2 years, and then axe the A900 after only one. Who knows? Maybe Sony will price the A850 at something insane like $1999, and bring the A900 price to $2399, and that'll leave room for more at the top end. Sony's electronics have always been a bit clustered together with price and features.

If the A850 is only $1999, then we will have one popular camera on our hands.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

that is all great and fine but what about a few Zeiss normal to wide primes and tilt/shift lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed, Tex, although it's a lot easier to bring a derivative new camera body than it is to develop lenses. The good thing is that this is a sign the Sony is committed to a complete FF line.

madcat207

Well, we know that Sony has already developed a cheaper 28-70/2.8 (we saw it at PMA with the other new APS-C lenses which did come to fruition); the A850 may launch some new FF lenses (even if they eventually discontinue the A900, they will have two FF bodies to support, so more demand for such lenses).

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I don't really follow sony rumors, but this is a bit unexpected (for me) but welcoming. I guess they figure it's a good way to get people in to buy the lenses.
    I think it's great that sony is pushing, I like the a900. (love the VF)
    it's also crazy to think that sony has a mid body 24mpx (a900) or soon to be 2, and nikon still doesn't.
    we'll see when this rumor comes out of the bag, but exciting none the less.
    thanks for posting the links.
    am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Looks genuine. But its the alleged A1000 that interests me.

Quentin
    +1
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A sub $2,000 A850 will make a transition from Nikon to Sony very painless, at least for those who planned to spend 1,800 on the D300s anyway. Tough competition for Nikon and Canon this.

Post Thanks / Like

So my new A900 arrives in 2 days. Not interested in a stripped down version, but A1000 makes me wonder if waiting a couple of weeks would have been wiser. If it's a big body like the Canon 1 series, I'm still not interested.

Post Thanks / Like

The A1000 is surely not coming in a couple of weeks. You should be able to enjoy your A900 for at least 1 more year imho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    The A1000 is surely not coming in a couple of weeks. You should be able to enjoy your A900 for at least 1 more year imho.
    OCD can both motivate and aggravate, let me tell you. Thanks for your reassurance.

Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing about Sony's recent additions is that they seem to be downgrades.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't care less about the 850 or 1000 for that matter. I've found nirvana in my a900's. They are not 100% perfect in every aspect of form or function but, they are so close it makes such little difference at my level of photography.

For the first time in my "digital photography" life I feel I can sit the next few new releases out. However to be fair, I'm not a super high ISO shooter or need to earn a living from photography.

Enjoy your a900 Tom.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

Fully agreed. The A900 is still the flagship of Sony and I don't see it being replaced/upgraded before at least 12-18 months. Add to that my usual 5-6 months observation period of any new camera and my A900 is still good to go for a long time

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fully agreed. The A900 is still the flagship of Sony and I don't see it being replaced/upgraded before at least 12-18 months. Add to that my usual 5-6 months observation period of any new camera and my A900 is still good to go for a long time
    Agreed. The A700 has lasted two years, and I see no reason to think the A900 will only last one. We may see a price reduction, though. I'd say we have a long time before a higher end Sony comes, but we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Eoin and Edward,

I too agree that the a900 is a fine camera and won't be obsolete for quite a while. I would not be surprised though if the a1000 would come before the World Cup in South Africa (Sony is sponsor) next year. An a1000 that would probably be 'better' equipped for sports photographers and photojournalists with high ISO, fast AF and (better) wheather sealing.

Post Thanks / Like

You have a point Peter, but if this is true, then we are talking about a completely different product, not a A900 replacement. I'm sure Sony will eventually release a 1Ds3/D3x competitor, but pricewise and performance wise will be too much for many people here including myself (though it's not gonna stop me wanting one )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Agreed. The A700 has lasted two years, and I see no reason to think the A900 will only last one. We may see a price reduction, though. I'd say we have a long time before a higher end Sony comes, but we'll see.
    Exactly. However, if the price point of the A850 turns out to be true (2K or less), I would be interested to get one to have the 100 macro permanently attached to it for studio use as this is will avoid me dust issues and hours of dust spotting caused by using the camera and lens changing outdoors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We always want more...and I'm no exception. The A900 is a superb tool not least because its relatively simple to use. If an A1000 was an A900 with lots of sports pro add-ons, then I would not be interested because I am not a sports pro. It would need to have superior image quality to the A900 - more and/or better pixels.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We always want more...and I'm no exception. The A900 is a superb tool not least because its relatively simple to use. If an A1000 was an A900 with lots of sports pro add-ons, then I would not be interested because I am not a sports pro. It would need to have superior image quality to the A900 - more and/or better pixels.

Quentin
    Well,
    I said this before about my D700 in the are you happy with your gear thread but I don't see a reason to change from the A900. The one thing I would do is buy a second body if a new model was like the A900 but optimized for high ISO and could have fewer pixels. Before Iceland when I was trying to decide what to take to Iceland, I looked at an A700 as a backup but it just didn't feel the same. So, for instance, when I was shooting the puffins the light was poor, the 70-300 is pretty slow and I was forced up pretty far in ISO to get decent shutter speeds. So, like the D3/D3x or D700/D700x? combo I think that would serve Sony well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    So my new A900 arrives in 2 days. Not interested in a stripped down version, but A1000 makes me wonder if waiting a couple of weeks would have been wiser. If it's a big body like the Canon 1 series, I'm still not interested.
    HI Tom
    I'll join my voice to the others - I've actually completely stopped following SLR rumours and new releases for the first time since digital appeared. I really can't imagine anyone bringing anything out which would tempt me away from my A900 - Like Eoin, I don't really need high ISO, but I've used it for concerts with the 135 f1.8, low light in weddings etc. without issue.

It's an excellent camera, but what's important, it fulfils my mate Neil's definition of good technology:

It's never irritating.

Sounds like a little thing but oh no!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haha - I'm with you Jono,
    I don't even read the Sony forum at DPReview and had no idea what this thread was about until this AM. My puffin issue can be solved with heavy glass. But will I make it up the cliff carrying the glass LOL (getting to the puffins wasn't simple!)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Haha - I'm with you Jono,
    I don't even read the Sony forum at DPReview and had no idea what this thread was about until this AM. My puffin issue can be solved with heavy glass. But will I make it up the cliff carrying the glass LOL (getting to the puffins wasn't simple!)
    Puffin up the slope eh?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Puffin up the slope eh?
    The only thing about this that is a little exciting to me is that MAYBE, since the A850 is so closely spec'ed to the A900, Sony will release a firmware update to the A900 with new features, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Multiple card reading is really the only thing that I'd be excited about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Tom
    I'll join my voice to the others - I've actually completely stopped following SLR rumours and new releases for the first time since digital appeared. I really can't imagine anyone bringing anything out which would tempt me away from my A900 - Like Eoin, I don't really need high ISO, but I've used it for concerts with the 135 f1.8, low light in weddings etc. without issue.

It's an excellent camera, but what's important, it fulfils my mate Neil's definition of good technology:

It's never irritating.

Sounds like a little thing but oh no!
    Nah, if Sony brought out a 35mp A1000, you'd buy it Jono, you know you would

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony have never claimed the A900 to be a pro camera, although many pro's do use them very successfully professinally. The Sony press releases at the time of the A900 launch did tantalisingly slightly hint of a pro camera sometime in the future.

In my view for Sony to have a viable pro camera they must also have a viable pro quality lens range and whilst this is (slowly) building up it still has some way to go IMHO.

Some pro's will find some of the excellent Zeiss and G lenses more than adequate for their particular speciality. However wildlife and sports photographers will not be interested probably in the current lens line up.

A true pro system has to appeal to all disciplines of professional photography.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nah, if Sony brought out a 35mp A1000, you'd buy it Jono, you know you would

Quentin

Just this guy you know

Paolo7780

The first real FF for the masses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, it looks like we have the A850 now, which is the A900 with 3fps and 98% VF for $2000 US. Pretty good deal.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09082705sonya850.asp

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, it looks like we have the A850 now, which is the A900 with 3fps and 98% VF for $2000 US. Pretty good deal.
    Certainly helps justify a backup body. It will still be interesting to see what the A900 replacement is. I can't see these two models co-existing for a long period of time. Also, can't imagine nothing changing before Photokina a year away.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope there is no hidden price to be paid in terms of manufacturing tolerances a la Canon 5D series.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09082705sonya850.asp

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope there is no hidden price to be paid in terms of manufacturing tolerances a la Canon 5D series.
    That's probably the most important reason for the 98% viewfinder; it gives them manufacturing tolerances. It probably also means that the quality control in that area will be more relaxed, and that not all viewfinders will be 100% level.

pancasj

the new alpha is posted everywhere
    alpha 500/550/850 is official

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    That's probably the most important reason for the 98% viewfinder; it gives them manufacturing tolerances. It probably also means that the quality control in that area will be more relaxed, and that not all viewfinders will be 100% level.
    Totally agreed. It seems 100% coverage viewfinders require much more labor as they have to be calibrated individually. Anyway, the target clients for the A850 are the A700 owners that would like to upgrade into FF, and Sony is giving them the cheapest FF Dslr in history I think they will forgive some viewfinder tolerances. The 5D/5D2 are a nightmare in this respect, and in order to be able to get accurate MF, owners have to go into calibration with washers and what not.