Site Sponsors

Thread: Exmor R now a reality

Post Thanks / Like

Exmor R now a reality

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09080601sonycmos.asp

Very interesting indeed. As a complete idiot in electronics, I wonder why no one thought of that before. It makes only sense that the photo-cells should be just below the micro-lenses, with the electronic circuitry on the back side. Actually I thought all sensors worked effectively this way

Anyway, it's very good news for Sony DSLR owners as I'm sure the coming models, maybe the A1000, will be equipped with such sensor.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exmor R now a reality

If this turns out to work it might be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Edward, I just read some chat about this technology over at dpreview; apparently it is designed for, and works best with physically small sensors, as large (eg APS-C and FF) sensors have a very small area devoted to the wiring layer. So improvements would not be expected to be significant in large sensors - that was the gist of it.

There was also mention of Panasonic using a similar sensor design later this year; just passing this on, I am totally ignorant of the subject but the bit about double the light transmission at low light levels caught my eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But think what it might mean for how many pixels one can squeeze on to a 35mm full frame sensor and still have low noise / high ISO capability. It would open the way for 40mp+ 35mm size sensors.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This sensor isn't limited to tiny formats. When it progresses to full frame and beyond, it is going to be really exciting.

Sony first introduced the EXMOR-R in their video cams.

Now, P&S, next is APS-C and then full frame..

panyawong

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09080601sonycmos.asp

Very interesting indeed. As a complete idiot in electronics, I wonder why no one thought of that before. It makes only sense that the photo-cells should be just below the micro-lenses, with the electronic circuitry on the back side. Actually I thought all sensors worked effectively this way

Anyway, it's very good news for Sony DSLR owners as I'm sure the coming models, maybe the A1000, will be equipped with such sensor.
    Edward;
    It's not that noone thought of that before. It's the cost associated with the process. If everything is on single side, the whole wafer can goes though the whole process at one pass. Wiring through the outside world from a device where everything is on one side is also easier, so as aligning the micro lens side to the diode. Now as people pushing each sensor area smaller and smaller, there is no room left for the wiring, so we have to go an alternative route. For these two side thing, there will be problem associated with it as the alignment of the lens and the cell can be an issue and it probably more sensitive to process variation. (speaking from my 13 yrs and counting in semiconductor industry)

Panya