The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hand/Wrist Strap for the a900?

mjm6

j-

I figure that most of my shooting will be without a tripod, but I want to be able to take evening and night shots at times, and that's where the tripod comes in. Plus, the night shots are the ideal time to be shooting HDR, so a tripod becomes doubly useful.

I was looking at the small-ish Benro travel angel tripods (TRCB169 or TRCB168 maybe) as a good really lightweight option. The Feisol 3441 looks interesting as well, and I think better-built.

I can't justify a 'real' tripod (I have those, but they are too big and heavy for this kind of travel).

---Michael

jsparks

j-

I was looking at the small-ish Benro travel angel tripods (TRCB169 or TRCB168 maybe) as a good really lightweight option. The Feisol 3441 looks interesting as well, and I think better-built.

---Michael
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't heard of the Benro tripods before. I may still stick with the table top tripod I have, but the Benro might work.

John

mjm6

John,

I am leaning to the Feisol due to feedback I've heard from users that I trust... I'm looking into the details of the tripod and a suitable head to make a good small kit.

I would recommend looking at:

www.reallybigcameras.com

for more information on the Feisol.

---Michael

douglasf13

I bought a Benro carbon fibre tripod a couple of months ago to hold me over until my Gitzo gets repaired, and I'm impressed. From what I understand, Benro has had to deal with a lot of legal issues, because they are almost too "Gitzo-like." The only thing that I'm not sure about, durability wise, is the washers inside the leg locks are a little weak, so don't extend the legs with too much force. Overall, though, I'm thrilled with the tripod for the price.

http://zirkel.com/blog/2008/08/14/benro-tripod-review/

LoSenior

Ordered the Sony Hand Grip, should be here Saturday. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
I was shooting pictures of my Grandson Kart racing on Sunday, I was using the Sony neck strap and A900 with 135 f1.8Z. Most of the time I support the camera with my hands. Between a couple races while waiting I let the camera hang with only support from the neck strap. Later in the day I couldn't figure why I had such a stiff neck.
Any body using the Artisian Neck strap with the Hand Grip?

fotografz

I have the Sony strap and bought the Hassy strap that Guy and Marc have used. I find the Hassy strap a bit too big for the camera but I just was trying it out before going to Iceland and I don't know if I had it optimally set up. Not sure if Marc uses his with a battery grip which might be the difference.
Yep, I was using it with the battery grip, but now have the Sony strap on both A900s along with a shoulder strap ... but use the camdapter bottom plate with dual lugs because it is sturdier than the Sony adapter and has a built in Arca type quick release. They also have adapters with QR for Manfrotto tripods

I also tried their wrist strap for the Nikon D3X, and it's the best wrist strap of the bunch ... it doesn't stretch out when shooting for a length of time. Really well made, doesn't stretch and slip down, and covers more of your hand. looks cool too! Take a look ...

www.camdapter.com

tom in mpls

... but use the camdapter bottom plate with dual lugs because it is sturdier than the Sony adapter and has a built in Arca type quick release.

www.camdapter.com
I like the ImageTooling plate better; it is also serves as an Arch QR plate, but is much, much thinner than camdapter. Strength is not an issue; I have used one for years with no problem. It is the same price as the camdapter plate. As it is much thinner, I am usually unaware that there is even a plate attached. And it's both smaller and less expensive than the Markins.

fotografz

I like the ImageTooling plate better; it is also serves as an Arch QR plate, but is much, much thinner than camdapter. Strength is not an issue; I have used one for years with no problem. It is the same price as the camdapter plate. As it is much thinner, I am usually unaware that there is even a plate attached. And it's both smaller and less expensive than the Markins.
Looks interesting ... I need another adapter for my other A900 so maybe I'll try it. Thanks.

tom in mpls

Looks interesting ... I need another adapter for my other A900 so maybe I'll try it. Thanks.
Be sure to order the P1DS_LP which may not be listed on the site yet. Just add that as a note on your order.

Send Jim an email if you have any questions about it.

LoSenior

Tom,

Thanks for the information on P1DS_LP, ordered my today and it has been shipped already.
Great service.

I lived in South Mpls. for about 6 years 1954-1960.

Jerry Anderson

MoJo

Registred Users
My god, that snakeskin camdapter strap looks..... striking for sure..... it is not clear if they fit the sony A900 with battery grip attached.