The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is a900 LCD screen protector necessary?

Braeside

My original Sony A900 hard protector scratched and also the upper tab cracked. I got an identical knock-off (made by JJC in China) from Hong Kong - looks the same and fits the same, just has not got Sony stamped on it. It cost £6.50 incl delivery which took 24 days.

mjm6

I picked up a GGS screen and a hand strap, and everything is working out nicely. The GGS screen is basically invisible on the camera, and the price is very good, too.

Thanks for the info everyone.

---Michael

R

robin20

Hi everyone..
I bought new Samsung LCD last week and i need some solid protection on the screen. So could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing protector film for my LCD screen?

LCD screen protector film

Robin, http://www.zagg.com/ is another resource for protective films.

On-topic, I did end up using the snap-on Sony LCD protector for a while, and at one point something was pressed against it in the bag and it flexed inward and left a scuff mark on the camera LCD protector -- which I believe is plastic. I've had that replaced and have since gone with the proper Giottos protector which I absolutely love. There is a discussion on the SP 83010 here. My Oct 1 post at the end of that thread mentions a source and how I had to ask them to post the item on ebay since their checkout system does not support shipping to the US. This is the correct protector for the a900 and fits perfectly.

Some additional observations on this subject:

• Sony Protector
    • When using outdoors with polarized sunglasses on, the resulting interference patterns will make you think Timothy Leary slipped something into your morning coffee.
    • Has a significant negative impact on visibility of the LCD, particularly after the inevitable application of nose oil...
    • Can trap grit and grind up the in-camera protector; the camera has to be sent to repair to replace it.
  • Giottos Protector
    • Practically invisible when installed, even when wearing polarized sunglasses.
    • Very rigid and does not flex inward and threaten the built-in protector.
    • Completely seals the area, preventing the ingress of dust, grit, etc. between it and the built-in protector.
    • At twice the price of the Sony POS, has withstood 4x the handling that the Sony withstood before the plastic began to look a bit shabby -- and the glass protector still looks pristine when I clean it.

Last edited:
Doug, does the GGS have a laminated safety layer to contain glass shards and keep them off the LCD in the event that the protector breaks? That's one feature of the Giottos unit that I like, at least conceptually. I found a current auction for the GGS unit and it doesn't state anything about this.

I have a Giottos. It cracked, no idea how, but glad it did its job. Next one will be a GGS. I don't think the Giottos is worth the money in light of other options, but I do think you need something.

Bill, was it the 6-layer or 12-layer version?
Sorry Dave, just saw your post. It was the 12-layer version. I'm pretty sure the glass is the same on either version, just the number of coatings. I don't have any issue with the clarity, only with the durability. My feeling is that if it is that easy to break, might as well break the cheaper one.

V

vtube

I have just installed the GGS screen protector on my a850: it fits perfectly, no problems with bubbles.

Only con (but important): it's a piece of simple glass, with no anti-reflection coating so be prepared to a scarce readability in daylight, and a slightly blue cast.

--
Andrea Olivotto
http://www.andreaolivotto.com

Dave, check the dyxum link above for a post around the beginning of this month; there should be link to Harrison's in the UK. They are set up to take overseas orders. If you want GGS, I think those are more readily available - try google/ebay.