The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a900 Manual Focus with adapted lenses...

mjm6

Hi folks,

I'm still going through the learning process with my new a900 camera and some adapted lenses (Leica R with chips from Leitax).

I'm noticing that, unlike the Canon, with the adapted lenses, the focus confirm squares (within the field of view) do not light up the same way that the Canon focus confirm squares do. That's a bit of a disappointent, because with WA lenses, the focus can be somewhat hard to determine without a microprism or split screen.

So, that raises a few questions about adapted lenses. Is there anyone on this forum using them? While the FM group has some people, I think there is a large wealth of knowledge over here on the a900 that is impressive.

I'm looking for any tips or advice on shooting process or settings for adapted lenses to make them the most efficient they can be.

I've already been mining the archive for overall shooting discussions, and I have learned a lot about the camera and how to make it sing. I'll have a few questions over then next few weeks on the process; hopefully people will find them useful and worthwhile for discussion.

---michael

douglasf13

The focus confirm green dot at the bottom left of the screen should light up when in focus (while using a chipped adapter.)

mjm6

Douglas, it does, but when concentrating on the image to ensure sharp focus, the dot is a little too far away to have it register too comfortably for my taste.

Apparently, there is no way to get the in field boxes to light up...

---Michael

mjm6

Oren,

The problem is that I want the grid 'L' screen, so I won't be using the M screen. The Canons light up the focus box that detects proper focus, the a900 does not, and that's a bit of a bummer.

I'm liking the camera in almost every respect, though.

I have an adapter due to arrive soon for my Auto Bellows III so I'm sure I'll be going through this soon enough. The adapter claims to support "focus confirm" so I'll see if that behaves any differently from what you describe. I have a big project in mind, using the camera and bellows to capture my slides and negs. I have a friend willing to lend me a Coolscan 4000 as well, so we'll see which works out better. Scanning sounds slow and painful, but the macro/dupe approach will have its share of pitfalls(like the color mask on negatives, for starters.)