Site Sponsors

Thread: a900 Manual Focus with adapted lenses...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a900 Manual Focus with adapted lenses...

Hi folks,

I'm still going through the learning process with my new a900 camera and some adapted lenses (Leica R with chips from Leitax).

I'm noticing that, unlike the Canon, with the adapted lenses, the focus confirm squares (within the field of view) do not light up the same way that the Canon focus confirm squares do. That's a bit of a disappointent, because with WA lenses, the focus can be somewhat hard to determine without a microprism or split screen.

So, that raises a few questions about adapted lenses. Is there anyone on this forum using them? While the FM group has some people, I think there is a large wealth of knowledge over here on the a900 that is impressive.

I'm looking for any tips or advice on shooting process or settings for adapted lenses to make them the most efficient they can be.

I've already been mining the archive for overall shooting discussions, and I have learned a lot about the camera and how to make it sing. I'll have a few questions over then next few weeks on the process; hopefully people will find them useful and worthwhile for discussion.

---michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: a900 Manual Focus with adapted lenses...

Hie thee to the "Focusing Screen M Type" thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The focus confirm green dot at the bottom left of the screen should light up when in focus (while using a chipped adapter.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Douglas, it does, but when concentrating on the image to ensure sharp focus, the dot is a little too far away to have it register too comfortably for my taste.

Apparently, there is no way to get the in field boxes to light up...

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oren,

The problem is that I want the grid 'L' screen, so I won't be using the M screen. The Canons light up the focus box that detects proper focus, the a900 does not, and that's a bit of a bummer.

I'm liking the camera in almost every respect, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have an adapter due to arrive soon for my Auto Bellows III so I'm sure I'll be going through this soon enough. The adapter claims to support "focus confirm" so I'll see if that behaves any differently from what you describe. I have a big project in mind, using the camera and bellows to capture my slides and negs. I have a friend willing to lend me a Coolscan 4000 as well, so we'll see which works out better. Scanning sounds slow and painful, but the macro/dupe approach will have its share of pitfalls(like the color mask on negatives, for starters.)
    α900+VG|F20|2xF58|16-35,24-70,135Z|STF|70-400G|50,85 1.4|16,20,28,100M,80-200APO f/2.8|28-135|500f/8|1x-3xMacro|2xMFC-1000|Tiltall+RRS, Bellows, etc.