The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 high iso B&W

surfotog

I'd like to see what the forum members have done with A900 high iso B&W conversions, iso 800 and up. Thanks.

fotografz

Nice shot, Marc. Are you feeling better about the A900's midtones?
Hi Douglas. Thanks.

The midtones always seem to need work when converting to B&W. Frankly, I don't think of the A900 for great out-of-the-camera B&W like I do the Leica M8 or Nikon D3X. For out-of-the-camera color the A900 seems to be second to none. Easiest to adjust color with minimal work of any camera I've ever used.

This shot was posted in response to the B&W ISO 800 + request. In decent light the A900 handles ISO 800 pretty well in terms of noise. So, when a higher shutter speed is required in good light, I don't hesitate to take the A900 to 800 or even 1250.

As we know, higher ISOs tend to start compressing the tonal range a bit, for which the A900 actually benefits by adding some contrast to the midtones when it comes to B&W conversions. :thumbup: