The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Uwe,
I like all three shots. I look forward to getting more details if you find a "magic HDR recipe".

barjohn

In a thread on DPR on NEX vs EPL-1 the same conclusion I have been reaching about in camera metering has been observed. There are conditions under which the multi-metering mode seriously under exposes the image. I have found cases where I can not pull it up in LR to overcome the under exposure. In retrospect, when I was shooting I noticed that the display seemed dim but I didn't attribute it to under exposure as I should have. Now I set to center weighted. It still under exposes a bit in many circumstances but it is easy to correct in PP. I don't know if this was a change made in the new firmware in response to DPR's claim that it over exposed or if that was the way it always was. Even shooting an 18% grey card I can't repeat DPR's results.

V

Vivek

Don't be starting a trend here, Terry! :lecture:;)

V

Vivek

You started it Vivek, by selling your Samsung.:p

I'd like to downsize too, but I just don't know how to start!
Correction, Jono.

Attempting to sell my Samsung NX10. It is still open for sale.

I will entertain any reasonable offers!

(My 10 year old wants a small P&S cam. Even he is not impressed by a brand new NX10. :( )

P

Poki

Terry, you will sell the E-PL1? Is there any reason for doing that except the compatibility of Alpha-lenses with the NEX? I'm just a bit between the two cameras and don't know which to buy.

And one question: Does the image quality alone justify an upgrade from an Canon IXUS 210? I like the design and also the menu as far as I can say, but I'm not really sure if it's worth the money for image quality. Test pictures help, but I can't make a clear decision without using the camera.

Does iAuto work well enough to get better images than from most compacts?

Thanks for your help! And sorry for my naive questions - everybody has to begin sometimes.

Terry

Poki - first, welcome to the forum!
First up, the E-PL1 is a very good camera and in my opinion the best of the Olympus models so far. My decision to possibly sell it has more to do with all the gear I currently have and not the performance of that particular camera. If you saw the picture that spawned the comment, I have 5 small cameras. I use a Sony dslr and the little NEX can use those lenses. This appeals to me because it gives me a good back up on a long trip.

The image quality on the Sony is very good. No complaints.

But, the image qualilty on the E-PL1 is also excellent. The E-PL is part of a larger system so there are more lenses available for it right now. Not sure if this is a major concern or consideration.

I beleive the auto mode on each camera is very good.

In the same category of camera I own two Panasonic GF1's. One is normal and the the has been converted to shoot infrared.

So, if i want to sell something it doesn't make sense for me to split up the pair of GF1's, the NEX solves my backup problem and the E-PL1 is the odd one out - but a very competent camera.

Now for the harder part. Will they do better for you than the camera you are using now. Answer is probably but it depends on what you shoot and what you do with the photos. Outdoors/good lights/small prints or on computer screen you might say to your self "why did I make a change" but changing any of these will favor the bigger sensor camera. If you are really interested in Phootography and want to learn more these are excellent cameras. If you do want to learn about using more manual controls, I think the Sony (even if reviewers have ecomplained about the interface) is easier to learn. Olympus menus and sheer number of things you can customize gets a bit daunting.

Bottom line is most cameras today are very, very good and you won't go wrong. If you have a chance to hold them and play with them, it is best.

U

UK1

UK1 - welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new kit! As you start to use the camera it would be great to hear your thoughts in moving from the smaller sensor p&s camera to the NEX.

Terry
I can't imagine that any enthusiast here would be interested but just completed my first day or so with the my two lens black kit - so in return for being the pivotal place for my decision to buy I thought I'd write a few lines of observations from a non-photographer viewpont.

The camera largely replaces a Lumix DMC FX100 although I have previously owned SLR kits but never rwally mastered them. I've also bought the perspex screen cover (an outrageous £12 in the uk!) - a spare battery and I'm using class 10 Sandisk 16GB Extreme 30MBS Secure Digital SD Cards. My main use for the camera is that we travel extensively for pleasure - each year a trip to Oz and Singapore, several trips to Vienna and Cannes some cruises on several small cruise lines (Silversea and Seadream mostly for the small ports) and also take children pictures.

I downloaded the instructions before the camera arrived (who ever reads the instructions once the toy is in the hands .... it's a bloke thing ....) and familiarised myself with it's basic philosophy and layout. It took me around half an hour of shooting all the different options with it to become reasonably familiar.

My first reaction is that the camera is that it is simply stunning and it is totally perplexing how such a small camera can do so many things reasonably well. I find the GUI satisfactory although some bits seem illogical. I couldn't believe how small it was. Why for example isn't there a simple entry point for panorama so you could go say shoot mode>panorama>3d or normal>wide or normal> etc ....

I think the main thing that emerges from my reading about other people's reactions is that a real photographer/enthusiast is looking for perfect pictures and any controls that are deeper within the camera that give him/her those improvements he wants them and wants them quickly. SLR's are covered with controls. A point and shooter with a bit more cash than is requred for a normal P&S wants P&S but with better pictures. I'd never notice if a shelf wasn't straight or a picture a touch too dark. And I have Adobe Elements and some other sw to take care of anything I mght want. For us it's about capturing memories not the technical quality of the picture. I'm quite certain that some of my enthusiast friends who see my pictures don't look at the content as much as the technical failings. The other thing is that of all of the thousands of pictures I've taken there's less than a dozen that I think are great pictures. Predominently they are of a moment I would not have captured if I'd had something more complex.

I love multi-shot. This morning I had a deer in the garden and I took a few moments to put the camera on to multishot and took a few dozens pictures before it saw me and bounded away. I simply slotted the card into the PC and selected those I'll keep and dumped the rest. This mode will also be good for photographing kids. It's a different mind set. You don't wait for the picture and then shoot but simply take a load and select. I wish the motor was completely silent though ....

I've taken some HD video but I plan to shoot it alongside our small Sony HD to see if it makes that camera superflous.

I'm completely puzzled as to how such a small camera achieves panorama which has produced some stunning results. I'm also impressed with it's darkness performance - particularly hand-held night - and believe it opens up more night time shots for me - and I wonder whehter I'll ever use the flash.

I'm certain that the camera was designed exactly for me in mind and I'm more than happy to compromise around any small quirks I find.

Anyway I promised a newbie non-techy's first reaction - and I hope it wan't too boring or too untechnical.

Terry

UK1- I think your write up is perfect. If you look back a few posts there is another new user Poki, asking some of the same questions, so your answers are all very relevant.

I envy your travels!

Terry

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

UK1, welcome to GetDPI and my compliments on the excellent write-up!

U

UK1

UK1- I think your write up is perfect. If you look back a few posts there is another new user Poki, asking some of the same questions, so your answers are all very relevant.

I envy your travels!

Terry
UK1, welcome to GetDPI and my compliments on the excellent write-up!
Thanks - I noticed Poki's post and I was just about to order the EPL1 when I read a short intro to the Sony. To be absolutely frank I didn't see either the Sony or the Olympus before deciding to buy - I live right out in the sticks -but with the benefit of hindsight it's my perception that the Olympus is just a touch further down the scale than the Sony from what I've read ie plasticy v metallic - and some of the shot modes that I'd expect to use elements or painter for seem to be in the camera. The Sony does fit in the trouser pocket with the pancake lens and the Olympus clearly doesn't with it's standard lens. The bigger lens mounted on the Sony will I hope just get into a large jacket pocket......... I think the Sony was probably the better option for me - but not for everyone.

I'm very fortunate with the travel .... it's a passion!

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

Diane B

I envy your travels!

Terry
I agree. Just terrific writeup. Many users will want it for just your reasons and those others like Terry or Vivek will seek out the ways that it can slot into their systems.

Like Terry, I envy you your travels.

Diane

P

Poki

Thanks for the post, UK1!

And thanks for the welcome and the answers, Terry!

One big problem with my compact is, for example, if I shoot a pic of my cat, the camera isn't able to capture the black-white coat of it sharp - every picture I've made from it (more than 800) are just good enough for small prints. I watch my pictures on an Apple Cinema Display - a display where every small flaw can be seen immediately, so images should be good enough to fit the great display. Macros are great, but high contrast is a big problem.

The design of the NEX is perfect in my eyes, and that's one of the biggest points to buy something for me. Thanks for the help, I'm going to try the NEX in a store, that should make my decision much easier.

Poki

U

UK1

One thing that does interest me ..... what is the practical purpose of the panorama shot exactly?

For most people it gives a very and rather useless very thin letterbox picture on what for many people will be a relatively small screen. I use two 1920 by 1080 screens side beside - so I can at least crop a panorama to 3840 by 1080 to go across both screens as a desktop background. I presume there must be some sort of java script you can imbed into a web page to view these shots - but is the panorama mode a great solution that addresses no real problem or have I just missed it?

Just found WPanorama which scrolls the panorama across both screens .... and you can load lists of panoramas ... and it's free.

Last edited:

Terry

UK1

Try this. Go into the settings for the Panorama direction and set the direction to down. Now go back and get ready to take a panorama shot (set on mode dial). Turn the camera to the portrait orientation and the arrow will be point in from left to right. Take the pan shot that way. It will still give you a wider angle of view than you could get with just your lens and one shot but in an aspect ratio more suited to your needs.

U

UK1

Well ..... why didn't I think of that!?:rolleyes:

I've just tried it ... and cropped it to 3840 x 1080 and it gives me much more of the view ..... across both screens.

Thanks very much for the tip.:thumbs:

bradhusick

can you do sweep pano with non-sony lenses (especially leica m lenses on an adapter)?

Status
Not open for further replies.