The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Just to come back to the original topic here - I am having lots of fun with my NEX5! And even looking closer into the results I must say it is one of the best (if not the best) point and shoot out there today.

For serious stuff I am using my H3D39 as well as my D700.

Nothing to add!

V

Vivek

The last two posts (PeterV and Ptomsu) just reiterate what I already said.

"Not for serious work".

Post some of your P&S results. :D

Here is one of mine:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Piper nigrum larger than life size using NEX-5

Last edited:

Terry

Just to come back to the original topic here - I am having lots of fun with my NEX5! And even looking closer into the results I must say it is one of the best (if not the best) point and shoot out there today.

For serious stuff I am using my H3D39 as well as my D700.

Nothing to add!
I shot the NEX side by side with my A900 in Ireland. I was within 40 shots of each other in use. In some cases I shot the NEX with my Zeiss zooms. Here are some of my Ireland shots that have made the cut to keepers to put in a book I'm making...these aren't final edits just working copies but I certainly put the NEX above P&S status. (Sorry to people who have seen these already)

View attachment 34749

View attachment 34750

View attachment 34746

View attachment 34747

View attachment 34745

View attachment 34748

jonoslack

re: Fun With Sony _____

HI There

I'm so Handsome

. . . . but don't look behind Caspar . . . .

Oh :wtf:!

All with the A900 and the Zeiss 24-70

. . . .and yes, we did get wet . . . very wet!

Last edited:

jonoslack

Isobel:

wears pink shoes:

A900 with Zeiss 135 f1.8.

Really . . . . why would one use anything else!

douglasf13

Yep, there is nothing point and shoot about my NEX. I always shoot it in M mode with manual focus, so I'd say it's less point and shoot than my A900! Size is the distinguishing factor for me.

G

GaryW

John, Thanks for your test shots.

Let us recap what is being discussed and what the source is- a hand held macro shot with a known performer was lacking in details. I did say (in response to Douglas) that I will have to check if my set up was stable (shake) despite the high shutter speed. Douglas quoted a thread from elsewhere that does address one possibility. Demoscaing (that Douglas pointed) is one.

Bees and flies do have lots of fine structures.
Yes they do.

That's a 100% crop from a Minolta 50/1.7 @ f3.2, which is not a macro lens, so I couldn't get too close. I can see very fine hairs. Maybe it would have been better stepped down a bit more, but I find bees to be a tough subject, being always in motion. Anyway, it seems sufficient detail to me.

sebboh

for the discussion of fine detail here's a couple 100% crops from the NEX that i believe i posted in another discussion:

you can see a touch of moire in the bee. i'm sure there are cameras that can produce sharper images (the m9, D3x and A900 come to mind) but i don't think i'll be at all concerned about printing large with this camera.

and in keeping with the thread title some fun images:
olympus pen f 38mm f/1.8 wide open:

olympus pen f 42mm f/1.2 wide open:

one with 16mm pancake @f/11:
(it seems i have dust on my sensor i didn't notice till now :( )

one from the rokkor MD 24mm f/2.8 wide open:

V

Vivek

Here is a dead bee/fly up close (with some fancy macro lens and equally fancy lighting set up). The NEX sensor was on a tripod and I used the 10s timer mode. Only after stopping down the lens to see diffraction effects (as indicated by the dust on the sensor), there is some details starting to show up. This image is after turning off all the destructive things like noise control (which was set to minimum), DRO and the like. Snapped at ISO200 and it is the entire frame.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

peterv

I guess we all agree here, than.

The NEX can be used as a point 'n shoot and at the same time it can be good enough for more serious work.
Are there technical imperfections? I guess so, but given the size and the price it's quite a versatile camera.

Terry, I like your Ireland series. Did you find much difference in IQ when you use the adapter and CZ glass on the NEX?

G

GaryW

Is that it?

Man, you guys are discussing this as if you just spend €40.000 on a 60 MP Phase back, Alpa 12 SWA (Rosewood) and some Schneider glass and now you're getting 'mushy' results.

The last ten or so comments above make it sound like the NEX is a seriously flawed camera. It's a €650 APC point 'n shoot for crying out loud.

As I tried to make clear in response to Douglas' links to the Alphamount guys, my personal opinion is that there's far too much pixel peeping going on with the NEX. Now don't get me wrong, I find this technical stuff intriguing, but I just don't think these questions and often cryptic answers belong in a thread called 'Fun with...'
Well, that thread was a response to complaints posted on DPR. There is a lot of pixel peeping, and the slightest flaw with a 100% magnification is somehow some huge flaw. I agree, it is getting to be a bit silly the way some want to harp on every perceived problem. I think part of it is that some people are working hard to not like the Nex.

Regardless, it is interesting to learn about the technology and advantages and disadvantages of cameras, software, etc. Using RAW software, the jagged line that was said to be an aliasing problem isn't even visible. So, I'm not sure if it was an aliasing problem or not, just that better RAW conversion can be done on the computer than in-camera. I don't know what's funny or objectionable about that observation.

Not to be picky, but it was Photoclubalpha not Alphamountworld, but anyway...

Me, I'm enjoying my NEX 5 more and more as just that. A fun point and shoot with good enough results for prints up to 30 x45 cm if by chance there's something worthwhile between the daily snaps.
Shoot first, think later. To me that is a very welcome alternative to my Leica MP, M7 and serious a900 work.

Kind regards,

Peter
I can have fun and still be curious about the underlying technology. If there are any flaws, I might as well know how to work around them, if necessary.

But the bar has been raised so high, it's increasingly difficult for me to obsess over problems. Besides, I'm not a pro photographer, so my needs are perhaps more modest, but I do like the step up in quality over small-sensored cameras. This is such a nice travel camera. The kit lens is pretty good! What's not to like?

G

GaryW

Gary, Welcome to the site. As long as you are satisfied with what you use, you will certainly use it often. :)
Thanks Vivek! Yes, things only need to be good enough for the intended purpose. Although, a bit of overengineering never hurts. :)

I think your macro is fantastic. But if the Nex isn't good enough for your work, I guess that is that. I'd use what works. I think you do have to make some compromises with the Nex, but you get a lot of portability.

I'm trying to make use of the Nex as my "main" camera. I'm about to put it through another torture-test....

LoSenior

Jono,

Great pictures, Casper sure has grown a lot since the last time I had a view.

Isobel is fantastic, wonderful capture. Any chance that you have full view of her that you can share?
The ZA 135 and A900 is an outstanding combination in your hands.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry

jonoslack

Jono,

Great pictures, Casper sure has grown a lot since the last time I had a view.

Isobel is fantastic, wonderful capture. Any chance that you have full view of her that you can share?
The ZA 135 and A900 is an outstanding combination in your hands.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry . . .
Like this:

Actually, cheating as it wasn't taken with the A900 (M9 with 50 'lux).

She is a friend of the children - and her parents are friends of ours - fantastic girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.