The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Thanks, Jono. Better than "smashing".:)

Actually, not. It is part of a series of tests I am doing to observe the fast lens behaviors under various light. That one was using a diffuse flash.

DOF depends on the magnification, in addition to the aperture.

This one (I have shown this earlier in another thread) was using an Olympus pen F 38/3.5 macro (effective aperture ~f/5):

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Bokeh from that lens is pretty smooth.
Now - there's an image I can relate to . . counterpoint blah blah :)
erm . . . smashing shot Vivek :D

(there are Wallace and Gromit connections to 'smashing' FWIW).

Michiel Schierbeek

Some more wide open shots. I was playing with that big Russian bulk lens, the Helios 40-2.
You can see it in the first shot. And then this couple from Luxembourg asked me to take a picture of them with their phone. I said; I prefered to take a portrait with my camera and they agreed. I will send them some jpeg's.
I did not get that many keepers, because it was dark, cold, raining a bit, stormy weather and I did not shoot the lens for some time and had trouble to get things in focus. But the lens has character.

Michiel

jonoslack

Uwe - that's lovely - we have trees to compete around here, but it's all so flat!
Michiel, those kids will be really pleased with that shot.

Here's another with the Noctilux on the NEX7 - at f2 this time:

jonoslack

This is a pointless picture . . .but I still like it (maybe I should talk to Camel about it!)
taken with the Leica 75 'cron

Here is another:

and just to show that this esoterica (i.e. fantastic glass an unmemorable subjects) is not vital, here are a couple with the humble Sony 18-200

This is Caspar with his new friend (although I'm not sure that Bonzo was so convinced)

and here he is, trying to deprive Bonzo of his valuable stick (Caspar is not impressed by the value of sticks, but he understands that others are, and feels it important to deprive them of the pleasure wherever possible)

Quentin_Bargate

Lovely dog, Jono! Great shots of the shaggy and not-so-shaggy beasts.

A few from an hour or so ago, all taken with the trusty Tamron 80-200mm + Nex-7

The camera white balance was set on, um *cough* Daylight.

I know susnsets can be considered by some as a bit cheesy, but I like them, so there!

Touch of fill flash for the second one.

Michiel Schierbeek

@ Cindy: lovely series, I like those -old- Jupiter colours!
@ Quentin: That Tamron is on my list but no hurry and I wait a little till I know more about Sony's new High grade zooms.

And all the others, of course :thumbs:

Today I walked about near my studio with a leica R lens.

(BTW Am I the only one who doesn't see any avatars anymore the last few days?)

Michiel

Quentin_Bargate

Michiel, the new Sony lenses look interesting - particulary the wide angle zoom and G series standard zoom that are on their roadmap - but I expect we will see a veritable avalanche of NEX lenses, such is the success of the format, including some from Sigma and new from Tamron. The problem is if I wait, there will always be something newer and better just over the horizon... exciting and fun but you could go mad with this stuff!

Like the "graffiti" shots, a fave subject for me near my office in Shoredith, London (prime Banksy and others territory).

Quentin_Bargate

Interesting place, Shoreditch

Both with Nex-7 and Zeiss F/1.8 24mm

and late addition finally, the new Heron Tower in the City, also with the Zeiss

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Michiel and Quentin, I like the graffiti shots.
Jono, Lovely photo of Casper and his new friend, Bonzo.

Michiel Schierbeek

You have Museum quality graffity portrait painters in the city, Quentin.
Nice light and perspective in the building.

Here's one more from our bussines district.
(The lighter downside quarter on the right reflects another building. It is from a long distance but the lens renders quiet a lot of detail. Little men in offices.)

Michiel

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Cindy, Michiel

Thanks. There is huge range of graffiti in London, some good, some less so...

That reflection gives quite a weird effect, Michiel, lot of detail from that (expensive!) Leica lens...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

I really like this photo!

You have Museum quality graffity portrait painters in the city, Quentin.
Nice light and perspective in the building.

Here's one more from our bussines district.
(The lighter downside quarter on the right reflects another building. It is from a long distance but the lens renders quiet a lot of detail. Little men in offices.)

Michiel

jonoslack

That reflection gives quite a weird effect, Michiel, lot of detail from that (expensive!) Leica lens...
+1 Lovely shot Michiel - The R lenses aren't quite so expensive at the moment Quentin . . . . until there's a solution for them from Leica and then things might get more exciting!

The 180mm APO lenses are lovely - I have the f2.8, which is a bit heavier

Vivek, Jono, Quentin, Uwe, Hosermage, Michiel: Thanks for sharing all those inspiring pictures, really hard to keep up ...

An attempt to street-photography with the Nex.

BTW: Although evidently an almost perfect tool for that genre the Nex seems to be a bit underestimated in this regard, IMO.

"The Pointer"

NEX-5n, Canon FDn 28/2.8 @ ≈ f/4.0 & ISO 1000

Hope you like it and thanks for your interest.

pegelli

Agree Hermann.
Like your shot, seems he's trying to kill that sheep for a second time.

Here's some street examples at night browsing through Madrid:

Last holdouts on Puerta del Sol:

Lonely busker:

Both Nex 5 at ISO 1600 and the 16 mm pancake. Lovely combo to just go out and shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.