The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Sure, Carlos.

The 49->52 to 52->37 was the combination I could find. It is just right with no vignetting.

If you want to add a filter and such, it is better to use a 49-37 ring (even shorter).

The other possibility is a generic metal hood (made for "normal lenses") with a 49mm thread. This is also less prominent than the huge original.

BTW, the hood from the 30/3.5 Macro won't fit the 24/1.8 at all.

turbines

Lovely series Quentin. I especially like the last one. You've created some really wonderful images with your new Tamron and I am really tempted.

Paul

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Paul, thanks.the last one is my personal favourite...and give in to temptation! You know it makes sense ;)

PS the Tamron is not perfect but it is good. My wife now has one also for her NEX 5n but she is struggling to focus the camera without a viewfinder, so the EVF for the Nex 5n is on the shopping list...

Rich M

The 49->52 to 52->37 was the combination I could find. It is just right with no vignetting.

If you want to add a filter and such, it is better to use a 49-37 ring (even shorter).

The other possibility is a generic metal hood (made for "normal lenses") with a 49mm thread. This is also less prominent than the huge original.

Vivek......GENIUS.......pure GENIUS. That's exactly what Voigtlander did with the hood on the CV90/3.5. They narrowed it in like you did instead of flaring it out into a huge party hat.

You've convinced me......the huge hood (and reports of bad CA) were keeping me on the fence.

You've dispelled both concerns.

Thank you.....R

douglasf13

Great idea, Vivek! I wonder if you might like a push on cap to go around the outside of that 52mm ring, so that you could shave off a few more millimeters from the length and avoid the funny little 37mm cap?

This would probably work: B+W #300 54mm Push-On Lens Cap 65-069701 B&H Photo Video

V

Vivek

Douglas, Thanks! :) I will have to look for one (I am sure I have one, somewhere..).

Rich, Glad to be of help.

Here are a couple from earlier today (NEX-7, E-Sonnar 24/1.8).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Thanks, Quentin! :)

Yesterday was great!

Here is why (temporary pictures, I will remove them later):

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Ice on the road and not being cop shy is the reason for this near disaster.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX-7, Sony Zeiss E-Sonnar 24/1.8

jonoslack

. . . and there was me assuming that they were arresting her for wearing red ski pants . . . . Love the Chess Champs
Q - those are great shots of your lovely garden . . . . unfortunately as soon as the sun came here it got a bit slushy . . . . anyway, here are a couple from the weekend

. . . All the best walks end up here!

All take with the 18-200 Sony zoom (it really is rather good).

all the best

Hosermage

Great shots everyone, looking at all the snow makes me glad I'm in warm southern California. Went out today with my newly acquired NEX-5n and tried it out. I think I need to get the EVF soon because I missed focus on lots of shots because I simply couldn't read the screen.

Here are some shots with the ZM 50 Sonnar. Even though it has great glow wide open, it's also very sharp stopped down.

Last edited:

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Hello !
Nice pictures everyone !
I owned a Nex-7 for some days and did some -not too crazy- shooting.
Mostly testing the magenta corners with my Leica and Contax G lenses (+ the Sony 16mm)
But I also shot some pics at a frozen lake using the Hawks Factory Leica M to Nex Helicoid Adapter with the Leica 24mm Elmar.

I dont know if many of you know about this kind of adapter so I decided to write some sentences about it.
In short: It allows you to focus closer with EVERY Leica-mount lens since the adapter itself can be turned and expands itself for some mm.
It doesnt work to great with tele-lenses but with normal or wideangle lenses it is REALLY nice.

With a tele-lens you get only some more centimeters of minimum focus distance but with a 50mm you can get 2/3 and with a wideangle half the focusdistance you have normally.

So with the 24m Elmar you can get REALLY close.

I attached some pictures to show you the effect.

The first one is shot with the Elmar @ normal focussing distance
Second one @ nearest focussing distance using the helicoid adapter
Third (f3,8) and fourth (f5,6) @ between normal and closest showing the bokeh you get with this lens

Maybe this is usefull for some of you.

Btw: The picture quality wide open and with the minimum focus distance using the helicoid isnt that good (with the 35mm and 50mm Summilux at least). But close the aperture a bit and you get stunning results. The Elmar is an exception and does great "wide open".

Regards,

Ingo

Status
Not open for further replies.