The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Good light was elsewhere but I still snapped this with a better (cheaper) adapter.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, M Rokkor 28/2.8, f/4, ISO400

jonoslack

Here's a thought, Philippe: How about investing in some compact SLR wides and an adapter instead of the A7? Economically, this would certainly be the 'better' alternative. Judging from the images Michiel just posted, the Canon FDs look like a very good choice. I have tested the 2.8/28 C/Y and the 2.8/21 ZF.2, and they're both stellar (but the latter arguably questionable in terms of ergonomics). I have yet to try my good old AF Nikkor 2.8/20. I'll report my findings when I get around to it. Something of that size plus and adapter is about the same size as a CV Ultron 1.8/21.

Addendum: the 2/25 ZF.2 works equally well on the A7R, and the results are lovely.
I'm sure that's the way forward, and if I come back again, then that's definitely the way I would be going - with the WATE for ultra-wide, there's only really a need for a 24 or 28, and there are lots of good candidates.

all the best

scho

Frantic finches at the feeder. A7R with Contax G 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar (M mount), Metabones LM/E adapter, f/4, 1/250 s AUTO ISO.

algrove

Taylor
Did you crop any of your images? I see you got the cron 28/2 to work just fine as well as the 21. Is that the 21 SEM or another model?

anGy

Still some fun with the A7r and Zeiss 50mm Sonnar.
More and more happy with the look of this lens,

anGy

This one with the Canon 24mm TS-E, the really good metabones adapter and the A7r.
5° vertical shift, f5,6.
Should have tilt a bit as the right corner and center are ok but the left far side is too soft.
Nice combo anyway.

V

Vivek

This one with the Canon 24mm TS-E, the really good metabones adapter and the A7r.
5° vertical shift, f5,6.
Should have tilt a bit as the right corner and center are ok but the left far side is too soft.
Nice combo anyway.
There are some odd streaks (looks like banding but they are not) visible on the top of the frame. But they are pretty much everywhere.

philber

Ron, that is one of my alternatives. However, going with larger DSLR lenses would run contra to what I'm so enjoying, which is to take my camera with me at all times. Otherwise, I might as well buy an Otus. That is some great piece of glass!
At any rate, I have an A7 to try tomorrow morning early, and that will give me food for thought. Basically, it depends how many lenses I already have would work with it that don't work on the A7R. That includes ZM 18, ZM 35 f:2.0, G28, Elmar 24, 'Lux 50. If that is the case, then I shall definitely buy one. I hope to report tomorrow.

Ron Pfister

Ron, that is one of my alternatives. However, going with larger DSLR lenses would run contra to what I'm so enjoying, which is to take my camera with me at all times. Otherwise, I might as well buy an Otus. That is some great piece of glass!
At any rate, I have an A7 to try tomorrow morning early, and that will give me food for thought. Basically, it depends how many lenses I already have would work with it that don't work on the A7R. That includes ZM 18, ZM 35 f:2.0, G28, Elmar 24, 'Lux 50. If that is the case, then I shall definitely buy one. I hope to report tomorrow.
Please let us know your findings! In the meantime, here another datapoint to consider: I can fit the A7R, a Nikon 2.8/20D, a C/Y 2.8/28 and 2.8/85, a Leica-R 2.8/35 and 2/50, the required adapter, spare batteries and a flash plus other accessories comfortably into a Think Tank Retrospective 5 shoulder bag (a small bag by any standard).

V

Vivek

In the meantime, here another datapoint to consider: I can fit the A7R, a Nikon 2.8/20D, a C/Y 2.8/28 and 2.8/85, a Leica-R 2.8/35 and 2/50, the required adapter, spare batteries and a flash plus other accessories comfortably into a Think Tank Retrospective 5 shoulder bag (a small bag by any standard).
Sometimes it is not easy to think straight. I realized recently that I do not own a 50/1.4 lens. I have 50/1.2s and even a 50/0.95. So, I bought a Revuenon 50/1.4 MC ("made in Japan", most likely made by Tokina in Pentax K mount) for a princely sum. ;)

The size:

Lens Sizes by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Left is the Sony Zeiss 24/1.8 for NEX (the Sony 50/1.8 E is also the same size as the 24/1.8) and on the right is the Revuenon Wonder lens (The Olympus OM50/1.2 and the OM 85/2 are also exactly of the same dimensions!). All the lenses mentioned have a 49mm filter thread.

What is sorely needed is a chip (like the ones added for A mount) to make certain functions available in A7/7R (like distortion corrections and vignette corrections). I am going to encourage my contacts in PRC to make some. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.